A question of money and motors.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicquests

If in doubt......Get the grinder out!!
Reaction score
A quick question for all of my learned colleagues.

I need to buy a new motor, I think.

Just curious to know if the engines used in some of the base models of pit bikes eg. TDR, Atomik and other such highly regarded brands, are the same as those used in DHZ Pit pro etc.

If they are the same I will keep watching them on the bay.

If they are not the same I will pursue more proven methods in obtaining a new engine.

Any ideas or suggestions of retailers I may not already know about would be appreciated.

Logic

What size engine are you after? What's it going in? etc... The more info the better :)

Both the zong140 and GPX125 are currently $399 delivered from DHZ. Dont think you'll get much better on a second hand eBay engine. my advice, go new.

WHAT!!!!( puzzled look on face)

My question was whether the engines found in entry level pit bikes such as Atomik/ TDR, are the same motors found in the equivalent DHZ/Cini/Whatever bikes.

What I am doing with the motor, the size of the motor or where I may be putting the motor is of no consequence to anyone. The above question being answered is in no way dependent upon any additional information being offered.

If anyone does know the answer to my initial question and does not require further information regarding my personal life I would appreciate your input. If you feel you need to know my address my TFN, my bedroom fetishes, favourite colour and whether or not I am planning to use any motor I may buy in an act of terrorism. Please dont reply. I am asking a question which requires no further information in order for it to be answered.

Yes. I have had a bad day.

Logic

MF.

No. I was looking at keeping my eye out for an new ebay bargain bike.

You know the drill.

Logic.

Certain models would be the same ie. Ducar, lifan 110's 125s and 140s and 150's. But i am not sure about the yx engines 150-160cc klx style. and the other big bore motors.

I would go the lifan 125, its cheap, reliable and a good alround engine for its price.Avoid the lifan 140 though, they are uncanny for gearbox problems.... and yeah atomiks have the lifans and yx's or at least the newer models do... pitpro too as for tdr im fairly sureits ducar and I perosnally would stay away from them lol

I dont know troy, If you get the bike cheap enough you can part the rest off on ebay and make most if not all of your money back. I know someone who did it with a nitrous to get a yx160 and they made their $650 back.

If you choose the right bike at the right price and can be bothered to do it, its a way to save a bit of coin.

I have owned a ducar 125 it was my first engine, and it was super reliable and went good for a 125. I have rode lifans, ducar and loncin 125s and the ducar was just as fast. I actually beat a atomik 125 nitrous (with the lifan) only by a second or 2 but his was also new and mine was fairly used by then. Always reliable started first or second kick. I highly recommend them if you are going for a cheap 125.

If I was to get another 125 I would get the daytona though they have a hell of a lot of power for a 125.

he never said anything about a used bike, if you get a brand new bike it can work out well. And if he is planning on getting an engine that a cheap bike has and he wants to save money why not. But again depends on the engine he wants and if a cheap bike runs it.

O.K.

Possibly should have stated I was after a 150 or a 160. Damn it, I would even go a 175 to make things really scary.

So the Nitrous uses the yx engine.

My thought was to take the motor. Put a 125 back on the bike a sell it in the bay. Why not, I may get a 160 motor for $200.00. Sounds O.K. to me.

Logic

in klx style engines theres only 2 manufacturers.
YX and Zongshen.
there could be cheaper knock off brands but if there is then there quality is the same lol..

i think your plan should work out.. good luck

O.K.

Possibly should have stated I was after a 150 or a 160. Damn it, I would even go a 175 to make things really scary.

So the Nitrous uses the yx engine.

My thought was to take the motor. Put a 125 back on the bike a sell it in the bay. Why not, I may get a 160 motor for $200.00. Sounds O.K. to me.

Logic

I'll ignore your original response grumpy man ;)

Exactly why I was asking the question... If I know what motor (at least CC requirements) you are looking for I'm better able to match engines for you. As Sean mentioned, there isn't a large variety of manufacturers making 150/160cc KLX style engines ;)

Either way, I can personally attest to the quality of the YX150 supplied in an Atomik, and having seen BarnesD's 160 run, they seem pretty shmick too (and you can apply a V2 head if you wish).

PS, seeing as you mention them, I am quite interested in your bedroom fetishes... The more info the better! :flipa:

I have DVDrip's old KLX style YX160 which was pulled from his Nitrous.

I have since put a V2 head and piston in it and a Lifan ORK. It has not given me any grief or problems full stop! After racing at Phillip Island it was no slouch in a straight line and it was there that I passed most people. It now need a new piston as holding it wide open while still valve floating at a shave over 12000 rpm you can't expect a long piston life.

If you can pick up a bike with the engine you are after cheaper than buying just the engine off the shelff , I'd go for it!! Like Sam said, you can always part the rest out and make some money back.

If looking at a YX, there are many types and the cheaper ones are made under licence and not at the original factory. There is a difference in quality, but if its just for general riding its nothing to even worry about.

Thanks Barnes.

Sorry for my grumpiness yesterday. I must be getting old.

I will keep a look out for a cheap new bike over the next couple of weeks. If one shows up I will grab it.

If not I will just buy a new one or attempt to fix my gearbox.

Logic

gpx125 they will beat any stock 140 and are really pokey motors, exspecially with oko flatslides

Latest posts

Back