air cooled to oil cooled

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkSide666

Reaction score
hi i just would like to know if i can convert my 125 air cooled ducar motor to a oil cooled motor if so how hard would it be thank you DarkSide666:D

its as easy as buying a cooler, lines and head side plate with the fittings

the mini 4 stroke motors are oil cooled... they just don't have a oil cooler.. a oil cooler just keeps the oil at a low temp for high performce motors or people that don't know anything about engines & rev them to the max in sand n stuff

with any 'aircooled' engine the bottom end is oil cooled and the head and barrel is air cooled except in the case of some early porshces which had water cooled heads:D i figured the extra oil would go without saying lol

air cooled 4 stroke are also oil cooled in the top end by little oil chanels that run up through the barrel how else would the cam shaft be lubed & cooled....

There's a difference between an oil cooler and having an oil cooled motor. Early Suzi's were air cooled but could be fitted with an oil cooler, it wasn't till the first GSXR's hit the streets that they had a full on oil cooled engine.

Remember an oil cooler will just add weight and expense.

thanks for all ur help guys but jst got back my mates who is a motor bike tech buy trade and owns the rapid mag hes said yous are all sort ov right but its no were as easy as some say

Just about all engines on this planet are ultimately ....... AIR COOLED ..... bar outboards and other engines that pump water from a large source ...... even then you could argue that THEY (river/lake/sea) are air cooled ... LOL ... is the liquid (oil/water) not cooled by heat dissipation into the air ?????? Just cover the fins on your cylinder or radiator and remove the fans (mechanical and thermo) on "water cooled" engines and see how long they last while being revved in a low gear , pulling weight or even at a stand still . IF oil coolers do nothing , then why are all the manufacturers fitting them to bikes and cars ...... and even to automatic transmissions and differentials .

The first 4 posters in this thread (including Hillz) just about covered everything ........

It's a fact that a vehicle not fitted with fans must be kept moving at a decent speed to get adequate airflow over the cylinder or thru the radiator for any REAL cooling to occur . That's why mowers and stationary engines have magneto fans and shrouds to direct air flow at the head and cylinder .........

You CAN fit a cam end plate oil cooler adaptor to a Ducar BUT you have to be really careful to check that the oil is flowing out of the outlet hose and that there isn't any air trapped in the cooler or lines .... the hose connector fittings can be screwed in too deep and cut off the flow .... ALSO , coolers and radiators rely on fluid pressure to work properly . Heat relies on PRESSURE for efficient transfer ....... so the inlet nozzle to the head from the output line of the cooler needs to be sized to properly maintain pressure in the cooler .

Case take off coolers do that for you because there is an oil flow restricting nozzle in the oil gallery AFTER the take off ports and just before where the gallery enters the cylinder ..... the oil flow is valved to maintain high oil pressure to the crank shaft ......... so there's also high pressure oil going thru the cooler which will make it work much more efficiently .

Whenever you fit an oil cooler , you should make sure the system has been bled and that oil is making it to the cam lobes BEFORE even thinking of starting the engine . The same goes for when doing oil changes ...... DO NOT kick the bike over while there is no oil in it (even with the ignition leads off or the plug out) because you will lose the oil pump priming . If you do turn the motor over ... you will then have to kick it over with the plug out until you fully bleed the galleries and recheck that there's oil making it to the cam lobes . XR75's have a bleed bolt on the side of the head that you remove to verify top end oiling ... :)

yes ,yes ,yes unless you have a oil line transfering the oil , these engines are directly oil cooled into the crankcases (two bolts on the bottom)

Yes you do need to run an oil cooler for a 140. (there will be people who dissagree and say you can bypass the cooler, or it is only needed for a highly modified engine) The factory supply them with and oil cooler for a reason, this reason is that a 140 is a highly modified engine and aussie summer temps are pretty extreem and all things being equal a engine fitted with a oil cooler will last longer (better lubrication) and will also run a bit cooler (i think echkay did a experiment and proved this a year or so ago) so can be tuned to get a small HP gain. The people who say that the weight will slow the bike down are kidding themselves in my opinion (an oil cooler and oil weigh less than 1 kilo) and you are unlikey to be able to notice this extra weight (my body weight can fluctuate by a kilo during a ride depending on my hydration levels and I cant feel this change).

Cass is right ! All I can say is DON'T go complaining about anything failing on your engine if you bypass the oil cooler ....... that includes ring sealing problems (blowing smoke) , stalling and hard starting due to vapour lock , clutch slip , kick start mech and tranny problems ........ over heated oil that has lost its viscosity and detergent , varnishes and carbons things up and wouldn't lubricate a rats ass ........

Latest posts

Back