Air Filter/Mud Flap [Muddy Rides]

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Aslan

Reaction score
Hey guys, i went riding and camping last weekend and it bucketed down! And there were massive puddles every were. When i went through them my air filter would get water in it and would start to bog down.

I need somthing to cover my air filter so that water wont get into it.

And i also need as mudflap for my rear shock. Which will stop the rear wheel flicking up into the air filter.

Where can i get them or got any tips of how to make them.

Dad made me a Cover for me Air Filter and a Mud Flap. If you want to know how to make them let me know.
When i was heating the mud flap in the middle to make it bend so when water and mud gets on it, it will drip down the middle instead of on the sides on the chain, i burnt it so it went a bit bubbly.

The Air Filter Box/Cover.
P4070255.jpg

The Mud Flap
P4070258.jpg

P4070260.jpg

Where we attached the Mud Flap my dad made.
P4070256.jpg

Last edited:
this was covered previously, but i cant recall who done it but the mounted their air filter under their seat and ran a pipe from the carb up under the seat to a pod like filter.

As for a mud flap... try hitting up a local 4wd accsessory place for an off cut of ute lining. or go down the local market and pick up a cheap rubber car mat and cut it up..

Its not rocket science ;)

Last edited:
a mate uses a thin cutting board he has cut up for infront of his rear shock. works a treat

I was thinking for the Air Filter get make a metal version of below and make a whole at the end of it so it can still breath and nothing can came in from the sides.

Lol was eating some grapes in a container and thought this could work! Make that out of some metal and put a hole in the bottem.

C20073312300534115_Disposable_Microwaveable_Plastic_Food_Container.jpg

Last edited:
ive seen front fenders cut down behind the mounting holes and then attatched to the swing arm which works very well and looks quite trick

about the filter i had a look on myne a while ago but there isnt space under my seat so i left it but thinking of putting a coke can with no ends over my filter so nothing goes in the sides. will let ya know if its any good

At wet 50 races, you just get a big coke/water bottle etc. Slide it over with the end open and it works perfect.

something like a small fire extuinguisher or an alloy fuel/ water bottle from the 2dollar shop would be the way to go... bigger diameter than a can... or use pvc pipe n stuff and give yourself a snorkel...heat the ends wtha heat gun to get it onto the carb etc...

Seen Bushy run a water bottle like an evian .... or gatorade diameter with the ends cut off.

Here's a pic of the mud flap I made for my rear shock:
PlasticMudGuard.jpg

It works a treat. You'd be silly not to have one.

Does it bend out into the rear wheel when ya bottom that shock jumpin ?

Dad made me a Air filter cover/box for my bike last week and today we did the Mud Flap it looks whicked, but in the photos they dont look as good. Havnt taken it for a ride yet but should work very well. I forget what the plastic is called that we used to make the mud guard with.. but to make all the bends we used like a industrial heater.. looks like a hair dryer. And for the air filter dad took one of my mums tupperware and cut it up and put it on.. its work VERY well.

here a picture of my bike now.

P4070262.jpg

Has your dad got a death wish or something? If its 1 thing I know its DONT MESS WITH A WOMANS TUPPERWARE! I bet your Mum doesnt know.

Has your dad got a death wish or something? If its 1 thing I know its DONT MESS WITH A WOMANS TUPPERWARE! I bet your Mum doesnt know.

haha yep, she dosnt know and were planing of keeping it that way hehe.
when he told what he used he said "Just dont tell your mum" :p;)
Cheers.

^^^ LOL..

Ah the ol AGB 125 and its still goin good!!?? shows that not ALL atomiks are dodgy!

The rear shock protector looks good Andrew. it would be worth getting a few more pics of it, and also your airbox 'cover' so other members can do a similar mod in the future.

Oh and the industrial hairdryer.. that would be a heat gun ;)

totally off topic, but I wonder what ever happened to my old AGB29..

^^^ LOL..

Ah the ol AGB 125 and its still goin good!!?? shows that not ALL atomiks are dodgy!

The rear shock protector looks good Andrew. it would be worth getting a few more pics of it, and also your airbox 'cover' so other members can do a similar mod in the future.

Oh and the industrial hairdryer.. that would be a heat gun ;)

totally off topic, but I wonder what ever happened to my old AGB29..

This AGB 29 is probably the only Atomik that isnt dodgy, dad has removed all of the chinese crap on it and put quality parts (new bearings, bolts nuts, chain protector thing, bars, etc. We got rid of the Ducar 125 in it and put in a Lifan 125.. much better quality chinese motor.. Last weekend away someone gave me some fuel that was off and it stuffed my valves with crap and was blowing smoke so we thought was the Piston rings because of me riding it so hard in the trials trying to keep up with the big bikes on the 40km+ trials. But just ended up being the the valves, so we cleaned them up and put in the new piston, rings, gaskets etc that we bought not knowing it was the valves being so dirty with grime and black charcoal stuff (sorry dont know proper definitions :confused:)and now its running VERY good. And yeh forgot the name, dad wasnt home to ask what its called lol. And the plastics we used for the mud flap is called 'lexan'.

Im saving for a new bike, not sure what bike to get.. its out off yz125, yzf250, ttr230. When i get enough money ill buy one that i decide to get then sell my AGB 29 and buy a MTB.

And ill ask dad if he wants to write up like a little tut on the forum on how to make it.

Cheers Andrew.

heres another one..
P4070259.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back