almost finshed

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well for the past 45 years that I know of ... it's gone to the rim !!! ... And on 6 brand new pitbike wheels I've got ... it's tightened to the rim ...

Another reason for it is to hold the tube in place and prevent the valve stem from popping back inside the rim when you go to fit an air pump fitting onto it to pump the tyre up at a service station ...

Logically ... screwing the nut to the valve cap serves no useful purpose other than to help cause the cap to pop off ... Remember ... most stock tubes come with a plastic valve cap ... Some have a tapered rubber coated stem to save the manufacturer millions on the cost of nuts ... On those tubes the rubber helps hold the stem in place and seals out water ...

IF you don't want to run the nut ... then leave the fooker off ...

can't believe that got asked!! stupid question! of cause it goes on the rim, common sense

why not just fit 2 nuts, theres plenty of room, 1 to the rim and 1 to the cap, then everybody is happy :) lol im just sturring.. i have alway herd it gets lock to the rim hence its called..RIM LOCK

You nip it up just enough so that it stays there ... you don't want to go swinging off the end of the spanner 'til you tear the stem off the tube ... I'm pretty sure some tubes run two nuts ... one inside the rim and one outside ... Like the TR6 in this pic :

Google Image Result for http://www.tan.com.tw/ok/3.jpg

You could fit some rubber o-rings or a short piece of rubber fuel hose on the valve stem between the rim and the nut so that it can still tilt if the tyre slips but still seal water and crap out ... A smear of silicone on the threads will help stop the nut from coming loose ...

Dan's Motorcycle Tires & Tubes

I can see where Dvdrip and others get their ideas from ... but the smart guys run TWO rim locks and a thicker heavy duty tube ...

Where's your (tube) valve stem nut ? - ThumperTalk

I'd say this link will be of use to Motovert24 ... Read ... and HEED !!!!!

https://www.dsmra.asn.au/how_tos.php

why not just fit 2 nuts, theres plenty of room, 1 to the rim and 1 to the cap, then everybody is happy :) lol im just sturring.. i have alway herd it gets lock to the rim hence its called..RIM LOCK

nah mate a RIM LOCK locks the tire to the rim, completely different thing.

Installing 2 nuts would completely defeat the purpose of what I was saying, valve gets ripped out when the tire slips and you have an extra nut there doing nothing.

anyway, I guess it was pretty stupid, if you lock it to the cap what's the point of having the nut there at all lol

from cactus's thumpertalk link
I stick an O ring under the nut and hand-tighten the nut on it. This way debris is kept out of the tube area and it is still loose enough to see if the tire slips.
^^^ I like this idea

Last edited:
If you take a good look you'll see that most valve stems have flat sections on each side ... That's so you can hold it still with one spanner while you tighten the nut with another spanner ... I wonder how many people just tighten the nut only and twist the stem , placing the tube under stress ... then when it rips out or tears the tube while they're out riding , the tyre goes down and spins on the rim before the rider notices it ... they then think the tyre slipped first and tore the valve stem out of the tube ...

I've never had a tyre spin on the rim of a motorcycle that had a properly fitted and sized decent quality rim lock which actually locks a bare flat tyre solid to the rim ... ie a rim lock that actually works and serves more than just ornamental value ... Alloy rims should run rim support spacers under the nut so that the lock can be adequately tightened ... You can buy tower nut kits to suit rim locks ... These days you don't need to look very far to find shirt loads of wallet lightening goodies ...

Sunline Rim Lock Tower Spacer Nut Kit - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

Sunline Valve Stem Support Seals - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

If the rims you're running haven't got adequate enough knurling on the beads then it's even MORE important to run a rim lock ... If the bead knurling isn't too good , I'd run two rim locks ... or keep the tyre pressure up high enough to lock the tyre to the rim ...

Another factor is if you use dish washing liquid or any water soluble slipping agent to make it easier to get the tyre on ... then think of what that'll do if water gets inside and re-wets it while you're riding ... LOL ...

Latest posts

Back