Anyone here a mechanic?*merged*

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat-magz

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if anyone here is a mechanic? im looking for work at the moment and have seen there is an apprenticeship down the road from me offering above award wages. Im 18 so i dont know how much this will be but im desperate for work? but i love cars and i wouldnt mind learning more about the engine side of things. can anyone tell me wat its like wat daily work may involve etc..

cheers

let me tell ya mate ive been working a at tractor joint down here in melbourne and you will do shitloads of cleaning and just little jobs and get the shit jobs but it is good fun and ive learnt heapz in the last month and also just be careful if they let u drive machinery/cars as i learnt that the hardway the other day

apprenticeships are tough, the first 6months all i did was sweep, empty bins, help the foreman
after that the boss kinda realised my potential and i got work
ever since i am still the first apprentice to get decent jobs
the pay is crap, look at the bigger picture, ability to earn more on weekends
i work for a dealership, majority of our work is servicing, warranty and reco work for used cars
get used to having dirty/cut up hands, i swear engine bays are getting smaller every year

i love my job, i love cars, i would recommend trying to get a trade of some sort behind you because you always have it to fall back on....

good luck mate
________
Teen Cams

Last edited:
apprenticeships are tough, the first 6months all i did was sweep, empty bins, help the foreman
after that the boss kinda realised my potential and i got work
ever since i am still the first apprentice to get decent jobs
the pay is crap, look at the bigger picture, ability to earn more on weekends
i work for a dealership, majority of our work is servicing, warranty and reco work for used cars
get used to having dirty/cut up hands, i swear engine bays are getting smaller every year

i love my job, i love cars, i would recommend trying to get a trade of some sort behind you because you always have it to fall back on....

good luck mate

let me tell ya mate ive been working a at tractor joint down here in melbourne and you will do shitloads of cleaning and just little jobs and get the shit jobs but it is good fun and ive learnt heapz in the last month and also just be careful if they let u drive machinery/cars as i learnt that the hardway the other day

Thanks guys appreciate it

motorbike mechanic

hey.
just wondering if any one on here a motorbike mechanic.
i want to be a spray painter but haveing no luck at the moment , so was thinking been mechanic , as i have interest in things like that and know a little.

is it good pay after you finish all your courses and apprentiship. i heard was crap pay but yeah.

anyone got any info
thanks..

hey.
just wondering if any one on here a motorbike mechanic.
i want to be a spray painter but haveing no luck at the moment , so was thinking been mechanic , as i have interest in things like that and know a little.

is it good pay after you finish all your courses and apprentiship. i heard was crap pay but yeah.

anyone got any info
thanks..

Dont' know a whole lot but know a few people in the bike mechanic buisness. Two things:

A: It's hard to get into a shop
B: You don't get paid that great unless your on a race team

If you want an awesome apprentiship, be a sparky. Those guys make a killing.

yep, mechanic is rubbish money unless you specialize in something that is at the top end of the field like your own bbk's and stoker kits or purely just the tuning and setup side of things.
anyone can do a service or fit a tyre so theres no real decent coin in it

put the effort in and it can be rewarding...race motors are priceless if proven winners

spray painting can be good money and if you end up being a super wiz with a gun then its almost name your own price and people will hunt you down for work..
but the same thing can also apply for a mechanic

on a side note... i do both spray painting and mechanical (cars and bikes) and even tho the money isnt good all the time id still pick mechanical out of the 2.

if you do pick mechanic do yourself a favor and get yourself into a tafe course doin machine work (lathe and mill).

lol... now if you pick spray painting then get yourself into an airbrushing course as well...

choices are endless with both these professions..

I am currently looking at becoming a spray painter, I have left school (finished yr 10) and now work at maccas,

But I will be going to tafe full time july this year or feb next, for a cert 2 in spray painting. By doing this it should give me a foot in the door and it will give me a chance to get my car and P's so I can work. You have no chance of getting an apprenticeship with no license, they will want you to move cars and other stuff, it will be the first thing they ask for, i know from personal experience.

That's if you are still wanting to be a spray painter... I also thought about becoming a bike mechanic, but kinda gave up cause I'm pretty sh!t with engines, but a mate of mine scored an apprenticeship with a mechanic and seems to like it.. Try and go threw one of those places that will find you a job, I dunno what they are called down south, but we have like migas, torgas, things like that.

good luck

yeah i tried tafe and they said no courses.
and hunter trade college / school wont let me do it cause not in year 11-12
and even if i wanted to go back no way id get in cause list too long.

ive been told i have to get a cold canves , is like when i get an apprentiship from a spray painting play and then maybe after that you go to tafe idk.

but just im sick of sitting around , my first one would be painting , cause i have real good interest in that. but yeah i know mechani crap all pay but yeah pretty much them two things only things i wanna do.

ive finished year 10 end last year and yeah.

andy from ec50s i think might let me try mechanic out and see what its like, but yeah sort of puzzled aye.

il just try some more shops if not il go see andy about mechanic.

hit em up for work experience mate...
youd be surprised at wat can happen in the end...

my first trade was engine reconditioner, i got the job from doing work experience there.
i also did work experience at a honda shop for about 6 months when i was about 16.

yeah okay.
im good mates with him so yeah he should be able to do work experience if he not flat out.
like i know a far bit about minis/motos so yeah.

thanks fellas ,

Look into being a diesel fitter (mechanic) there is always jobs going for the with salarys above $130k a year some are considerably higher.
Also it gives you experience with big machinery so it is easier to go back to cars or bikes when you get sick of it.

i just started a diesel mechanic apprenticeship its pretty good!! could look into to doin that, and tyd you dont need to get a licence for a apprenticeship lol you would hardly need to move cars for them!

well il try some more shops for spray spraypainting an if nothing il just do motorbike mechanic ,
goes for about 2-3 years so yeah can always do spray painting after it.

oh yeah i remember now , cause jono from mingn50s said hes upto his 3rd year almost on his 4th.

i do metal work at gosford tafe.. bout an hour from hunter.. that could be ok.. the course is metal and engineering.

be a sparky, a industrial one, not a residential wire jerker.

real good money and dont get as dirty as a fitter/mechanic/plumber.

Dead set^^ Do a apprenticeship as a industrial electrical fitter and all the domestic work will be second nature to you... If you ever want to do a bit of domestic work.

But yes back to mechanic or painter

Latest posts

Back