are 2 strokes being banned?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah this was the last year for cr's or maybe there gonna have 08??? dunno cant remember and yz are stopping 2 banggers in 08, an who cares about the other brands.......

ive heard that all the dirtbike brands that make the 125-250 2strokes will stop making the 2strokes because of emisions,epa n shit like that

ive been told this year is the last that yamaha will be making there 2stroke bikes so no 08 bikes will be 2strokes

.....but dont take my word for it beause rumors can start very easy thats why im not 100% sure

ive also heard that even though the new 4bangers are very quick they need alot of maintenence more then the 2strokes

Of course 4 strokes need more maintainance. They have a lot more moving parts inside the engine. 2 strokes are so basic that someone who has no idea about motors can rebuild the top end in about 1 hour following instructions where most people who have been riding their whole life have to take their bikes to a mechanic and fork out 2k+ just to rebuild their 4 stroke. I know Honda are not releasing 08 model 2 strokes but their 125/250 2 stroke motors have sucked so bad since they brought out the aluminum frames. Before Honda even made 2 strokes they wanted to be a 4 stroke only manufacturer.
I haven't heard of Yamaha calling it quits just yet but you will still see cr 2 strokes and yz 2 strokes being sold in 08 and 09 as they will still have to get rid of old stock. Some dealers still sell brand new 05 and 06 bikes as old stock. Japan stopped making the Suzuki RMX a few years back now but dealers still where selling the bikes for several years after the bikes had stopped production.

You know 4 strokes are definitely moving forward as the latest and greatest thing but it will be sad to see 2 strokes fading out. There is still something very special and very cool about the sheer brutal power and the sound of a nice 2 stroke...

Of course 4 strokes need more maintainance. They have a lot more moving parts inside the engine. 2 strokes are so basic that someone who has no idea about motors can rebuild the top end in about 1 hour following instructions where most people who have been riding their whole life have to take their bikes to a mechanic and fork out 2k+ just to rebuild their 4 stroke.

Where the hell did you hear that?

I've owned, ridden and raced 2 strokes and 4 strokes, and the maintenance on 4 strokes is cheaper. 2 strokes wear out quicker due to their high revving nature. I've rebuilt an entire RS250 engine and the power valves alone was $600. Tuning the 2 stroke (changing jetting to suit) cost me over $400. Tuning my 4 stroke race bike was $350. The biggest maintenance to the GSXR was $365 for valve clearance, full service and tuneup job, after 20,000kms!!!! 2 strokes need a rebuild and new crank after 12,000kms!!!

And no fool would spend $2K to rebuild a 4 stroke when you can get a complete low km engine for that amount. Hell $2K will get you Carillo rods, forged pistons, race cams, and a killer tuneup/rebuild.

:eek:

two Strokes are screwed cause of hippies, as much as I love em, you gotta agree they do throw out a fair bit of puff. But for bang for buck two bangas are great, i just love theyre sound the most, and are just so awesome to ride. But on the other hand the new 4 strokes are pretty mean too. ;)

Where the hell did you hear that?

I've owned, ridden and raced 2 strokes and 4 strokes, and the maintenance on 4 strokes is cheaper. 2 strokes wear out quicker due to their high revving nature. I've rebuilt an entire RS250 engine and the power valves alone was $600. Tuning the 2 stroke (changing jetting to suit) cost me over $400. Tuning my 4 stroke race bike was $350. The biggest maintenance to the GSXR was $365 for valve clearance, full service and tuneup job, after 20,000kms!!!! 2 strokes need a rebuild and new crank after 12,000kms!!!

And no fool would spend $2K to rebuild a 4 stroke when you can get a complete low km engine for that amount. Hell $2K will get you Carillo rods, forged pistons, race cams, and a killer tuneup/rebuild.

:eek:

Where talking dirt bikes here and everyone knows 4 strokes dirt bikes require more maintainance then 2 strokes and also cost almost 3 times as much to rebuild. Dont believe me? Go to ThumperTalk and ask all the thumper boys... they will admit it.

Road bikes, dirt bikes, the components are the same. The costs for power valves still apply. They're bloody expensive. A few friends own Yammy WRs and they'd never go back to a 2 stroke. They don't complain of constant rebuilds and $2K bills.

All a matter of opinion of course.

Last edited:
Most scooters Ive seen are 100cc and above and are 4 strokes...

Scooters are stupid anyway I hate them, get a real motorcycle instead!

you can ride a 50cc skoota on car licence pretty much anywhere in AUS, so most are 50s.

and they are fun as!

and do you tell people that ride a bmx to get skoota or similar aswell?

ktm in europe released a ktm 144cc bike that smokes the 250f's and its legal but im pretty sure there not in aus yet. You cant beat the sound of a 2 stroke screaming round a motorcross track, and the smell of 2 stroke smoke on a cold morning. I dont think it will be very long uintil they make over a 2 stroke just like they did with 4 strokes, as tohatsu make an oil injected 2 stroke that is every bit as good as a 4 stroke and have the same level of emissions. There will deffinetely be no honda 2 strokes in 08. Havnt heard on any other brands as of yet, but i know yamaha and ktm are still going to be making 2 strokes in 08!

quick question can you ride a 50cc scooter on a L car licence???

Yep in California you aren't allowed to run a 2 stroke unless its on private property. So that means you cannot drive a little boat with a 2 stroke motor in like a lake or beach river etc.

Yes the reason is because too many people were running 2 stroke outboards in lakes and pumping oil into the drinking water supply . Snow mobiles and motorcycles also pump oil spray into the air which falls out into the snow - then runs into the water supply when the snow melts - poisoning the fish , the food that they depend upon (crustaceans and water insects) and therefore the humans and animals that eat them . Then there's the idiots who use noisy 2 stroke whipper snipers and chainsaws for hours on end on a Saturday or Sunday morning when you are trying to sleep in ................ making you feel like silencing them with a baseball bat .

2 strokes will always have a home in those 50cc automatic scooters. They are still heaps popular and the motor is nearly mounted on the back hub so you dreaming if you think that a 4stroke motor is going to replace those uses. It wouldnt produce enough power reliably for the weight. Also a two stroke motor like that can be quite efficient but its the burning oil thats a problem
I guess. I think they are trying to get rid of those 2 strokes in asian cities and if you been to bangkok you'd know why the air is awful. So as they stop making them for their own markets its gonna be stupid to sell them here so i guess its gonna go to a different sytle scooter and 4 stroke. Most of the scooters I saw in Thailand and Malaysia a few month ago are now bigger wheel 110 and 125 lead posite style scooters not trendy little 2 strokes. Me and my GF hired a 125cc honda for $6 a day and it went pretty good. Disk brake on the front and stuff too. As for MXers they are all gonna be 4 stroke soon.

Road bikes, dirt bikes, the components are the same. The costs for power valves still apply. They're bloody expensive. A few friends own Yammy WRs and they'd never go back to a 2 stroke. They don't complain of constant rebuilds and $2K bills.

All a matter of opinion of course.

A WR is not a mx bike. Most people rebuild there 4 strokes every 6 months to a year if they race. Like i said go to Thumpertalk or any other MX website and create a topic "What has more maintenance 2 strokes or 4 strokes".
Lately a lot of racers have been going from 450s back to 250 2 strokes due to not being able to maintain their race bikes.

Not what I hear. I'm not going to no website to talk to biased people I don't know, when I can talk to people I know who are reliable and race them. I'll take their word for it thank you. Got the model wrong (WR is his road bike), they ride YZ450Fs and will never go back to the YZ250 2 banger. Together with my experience with race bikes ... 4 stroke bikes are cheaper to maintain, under road, off-road or race conditions.

On that note, I've had my say and I'm done with this topic. Carry on if you must.

:rolleyes

A WR is not a mx bike. Most people rebuild there 4 strokes every 6 months to a year if they race. Like i said go to Thumpertalk or any other MX website and create a topic "What has more maintenance 2 strokes or 4 strokes".
Lately a lot of racers have been going from 450s back to 250 2 strokes due to not being able to maintain their race bikes.

You can go to any major MX event these days and play " spot the 2 stroke" . Racing is NOT a poor mans game and never was ! Those racers you're talking about will soon be back on 4 strokes ~ either that or they'll be downgraded to VMX racing ~ OR dirt kicking spectators !

You can go to any major MX event these days and play " spot the 2 stroke" . Racing is NOT a poor mans game and never was ! Those racers you're talking about will soon be back on 4 strokes ~ either that or they'll be downgraded to VMX racing ~ OR dirt kicking spectators !

No joke 4 strokes are the future.

Latest posts

Back