Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynn629

Reaction score
Hi,
When i try start my bike it takes like 5 kicks to get it started. And a couple of those kicks i get kickback. Is there something wrong with the bike? I just got it today second hand. Once its started though it goes mean. Any help would be muchly appriciated. Cheers

hi welcome to Miniriders,

don't forget to drop into our Introduce Yourself thread too, and say g'day

when you go to start your bike,
do you push the kickstart lever down until it starts to feel firm, this is TDC, then go a touch more, then kick it.
this should stop your kickback issues

the hard to start issue, could just be a matter of adjusting the mixture screw on your Molkt Carby
try turning it out a little (1/8th turn)
and then try it.

Im not that geat machanically, im only 15 is it bad to run the engine if your vavle clearences are off? Feels abit overwhelming to set the clearences as i dont really have any idea. Ill try that starting tip tomoro thanks for the help guys

valve clearances mainly affect a warm engine,
but can if they are way too tight, can make it hard to start cold too.

setting the clearances aren't that hard,

you'll need an 8mm spammer, a 9mm spanner, some pointy nosed pliers
and a set of feeler gauges

here is a video explaining how to do it

[video=youtube;QJciyJRJh8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJciyJRJh8Q[/video]

Do you think this is the problem?, could i get a machanic to do it? How much would he roughly charge , cheers

Also yesterday i was teaching a friend to ride and when he stalls it it makes a horrible clunking sort of noise is this also a sign the valves are off? Thanks

it's hard to guess without hearing the noise
are you able to video it and post it up here ?

if you make a video from your phone, and upload it to Photobucket or similar, then post the link up here
have a look at this Link/thread, it might help you, Adding pictures to your posts
it is the same for adding Videos

the clunking could be a sign that the rubbers in the back of the clutch gear have or are starting to fail ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLUTCH-G..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6016add7&_uhb=1

Last edited:
Do you think this is the problem?, could i get a mechanic to do it? How much would he roughly charge , cheers

a good Motorcycle mechanic or Auto Mechanic could adjust the clearances for you, it would cost maybe $30-$40 at a guess
it takes about 10 minutes to adjust them.
give them the link to the OORacing video i posted, it will show them how to do it.

maybe another NZ member could recommend a good Bike shop in the Northern Area of the Southern Island ?

Hi, for the molkt carb is the choke on when you push it in or pull it out? Cheers

I just tryed starting it and it wouldnt even idle but i think when the choke was on it would then when i take choke off it just dies. Please help

is the carby the same as this one ?
if it is, with the choke off, is when it's pushed in

carb-2.jpg

see the silver flat headed screw on the air filter side of the carby

that is the mixture screw, turn it clockwise until it starts to tighten up
count how many full turns it goes in from where it was set, and write it down
the standard setting is approximately 1.5 to 2 turns out.

Now it wont idel even with choke on and its impossible to start without throttle and you have to keep reving it to to keep the motor going. Think im going to cry

Ok do i loosen the flat head screw all the way out? And then count in 1.5 to 2 full rotations?.

Does the idle have to be set to do this? Because i hqve no idea where my idle is to high or not as ive been playing around with it and the bike just wont start

no you screw your air /fuel screw all the way in then back it off between 1.5 to 2 turns. if you can roll start the bike you can then wind your idle screw in until the bike will idle by its self

Ok ive set my mixture screw but bike bike still wont start does ur idle have to be high enough revs to make the bike start?

Latest posts

Back