Best way to check cyl wall clearance?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Reaction score
So whats the best way to check piston to cyl clearance? Cold cyl, Hot, I dont know. 67mm kit for YX160.:afro:

I heard they do it like this vvvv, in Utah.

Photo610-1.jpg

Blowtorches are for savages and Cornhuskers. I like medium heat until the clearance is where you can shove the piston in.

So whats the best way to check piston to cyl clearance? Cold cyl, Hot, I dont know. 67mm kit for YX160.:afro:

little thrown off by this thread..

can you clarify if are asking about installing a sleeve into a barrel or actually measuring the clearance between the piston and sleeve

if its the piston to sleeve clearance then you need an inside micrometer and a outside micrometer..
21990903-M.jpg

or as i use a dial gauge for the cylinder and a micrometer for the piston..
IMG00115-20100518-1819.jpg

if its an akunar bore kit then i i measured the new clearance here http://www.miniriders.com/tech-revi...zonger-big-bore-kit-valve-clutch-springs.html

Sorry, Sean. Dorito David was fishing, for a response from me, and we're just having fun. We chat/text regularly. I'd recently told him of the reply made by the King of Pitbike Engines, to a customer inquiry in to why his new 67mm plated big bore kit measured (also with correct tools;)) ZERO skirt to wall clearance. Customer had called me to get my input. He's a long-time engine builder and being told that the King had spoken with the Chinese factory, and been instructed to heat the cylinder with a torch... to 160 degrees and he'd see there was actually .002" running clearance and to ignore the cold measurement, had him baffled. It merely added yet another reason for me to shake my head at the ex-con's antics.

Latest posts

Back