BN DHZ Carby Issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellrazor

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've recently bought a DHZ outlaw 140. Up until the weekend, had only run one tank of juice through it and one oil change.
The carby is a "genuine Mikuni 28mm" - which i have been told and severly doubt it is.

It was my first real ride on it – and I think I was having some carby issues.

A couple of problems.

1. After I would ride flat out in a straight line for like 500metres or so, I would back off and go back to just 30-40km/h and the bike would just bog down then completely stop. As much as I revved the throttle and clutched it, it wouldn’t keep going. So I had to let the bike sit for a few minutes before it would even start again. Even then, i had trouble kicking it over. It was like the petrol was too rich for it or something and it was flooding? BTW it was standard 91 ron fuel.
2. Majority of time, if I tried to stomp on it out of a berm, again, it would just bog down and wouldn’t rev.

Any ideas?

Worth mentioning I put 15w 50 Castrol 4t oil in it too, cause I couldn’t find 10w 40 anywhere – it’s a pain in the ass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

well as a start i would be doing the following..

check valve clearances
buy a new NGK plug for it
check the air cleaner isnt oiled too much
make sure there is a fuel filter on it
check the mixture screw is set

after all that if its still the same its time to check inside the carb....

Hi Sean

Thanks for your information - greatly appreciated.

Couple of quick questions.

I had a read of the valve clearence forum - it seems hard to do? Is it difficult or should i be able to do it ( not THAT mechanically minded )
How do i check if the air cleaner has too much oil?
Will bang a fuel filter on it.
Is the mixture screw the one i have pointed out in the picture?

Has the oil i've put in it got anything to do with it?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi Sean

Thanks for your information - greatly appreciated.

Couple of quick questions.

I had a read of the valve clearence forum - it seems hard to do? Is it difficult or should i be able to do it ( not THAT mechanically minded )
How do i check if the air cleaner has too much oil?
Will bang a fuel filter on it.
Is the mixture screw the one i have pointed out in the picture?

Has the oil i've put in it got anything to do with it?

Thanks again!

na thats a bleed screw, the mixture screw is just behind that screw in the bottom of the carb

valve clearances arent hard to do providing you have the tools to do it....

8mm socket or spanner.
spark plug socket
9mm spanner
pointy nose pliers
feeler blades

pull the magneto cover off and the plug out then hold your finger over the plug hole tightly and turn the magneto anti clockwise and youll feel the compression building in the cylinder. once the piston is at the top check your magneto and it should line up with a little mark on the engine case...
thats top dead center..

then check your clearances...
the larger clearance is the exhaust valve

and the mixture screw is underneath the carb facing the engine....real prick of a spot to get at...i use a little flat blade screw driver bit and a bit of patience...

valve clearance is very easy to do, once you've done it you'll see what I mean. and it MUST be done, from the symptoms you've described that's what the problem is.

I'm beginning to see a pattern on the forums ... New motors running great ... then running weird after being thrashed before they're anywhere NEAR run in ...

yeah, if only the chinese didnt use such rubbish material in there valves... the valve seats seem good its just the valves sink..
almost like there not designed for unleaded fuel....hmmm maybe some valve saver oil mixed in every tank would prolong the valve life a little...

I'm beginning to see a pattern on the forums ... New motors running great ... then running weird after being thrashed before they're anywhere NEAR run in ...

I bet you there the same people who bust kick start gears coz they dont know how kick start the motor properly :p

I did all the correct running in techniques as describe in Thumps bike setup forum....

Latest posts

Back