Brand New Bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the forks aren't too good but you can make them much better, I replaced the oil in them and it feels like a completely new bike to ride now. The oil that comes in it is black when it should be a nice golden colour. Its cheaper then new forks for under $50 (new ones are probably better though) and there are threads on here that explain how to do it.

Sweet that's good info man, I'll look into that definitely! Thanks heaps :)

I need help guys, I've installed the 26mm oko yesterday and after trying to work out the throttle cable for a whole I finally worked it out

BUT when I started the bike with the choke on (very easy compared to old molkt 26mm) it starts all fine and then I left it running for about 5 mins and then when I turned the choke off the bike revs for about 5 seconds and then cuts out, if I hold the throttle open the engine will keep going for a while but as soon as I let the throttle go it cuts out, what could be the problem?

Any help is much appreciated guys :)

idle screw mate.. sounds like it aint set right. get a small flat blade screwy and screw it in when you got the thottle pen a bit the bike bike is running... back the throttle off a little and listen if the revs drop... either that or air mixture screw..

Last edited:
So do you think I should screw the idle screw in a bit more? Cause when the choke is on the revs seem very high already, and with the mixture screw I turned it in all the way. When I screw it out, does a full 360 degree twist count as one turn out? Sorry for noobish questions lol, just clarifying for myself, thanks!

Bump! Sorry guys but just really need to get this worked out before next weekend :)

Try fiddling around with the idle screw just to make it idle properly, if you can make it sustain a idle speed play with the mixture screw until you find a spot where the idle increases to its maximum speed and then richen it just a bit and see how it runs. I'm no expert, its just what i do:)

Yeah thanks for the reply :) I've just been playing around with the idle and mixture screw heaps, but I'm getting the same outcome, could it be an air leak somewhere? Or could the jetting be wrong?

To test for an air leak, get the bike running then spray around the inlet manifold with some liquid, WD40 spray or even just a water spray bottle and see if the revs change? If they do you got a leak somewhere.

This is the current situation guys, I have got a 95 main 36 pilot in my 26mm oko carby on my yx150.

I start the bike with the choke on, let it warm up and as soon as I turn the choke off the bike dies, I have played with the idle and mixture screw on every needle clip setting and has not changed the time it takes for the bike to die when I turn the choke off.

I have tested for air leaks and did not find anything and the jets don't seem to have any dirt in them.

Please guys, any suggestions would really help! Thanks in advance!

mate sounds like a tuning issue have u tried screwing in idle and mixture screw in star the bike the turn idle screw out about one to one and half srews out and try putting float clip on top setting then sscrew out idle sc rew till it idles . my 140 stars fine without chock all bike different but thats how i tunned my bike hope this helps you bud

How long are you letting it warm up for? Maybe it's not ready to have the choke turned off.

Also, does it run if you leave the choke half on? If so that is probably a sign that it's running too lean.

Longest I've let it warm up for is 15 mins, and can you have the choke half on with a 26mm oko flatslide?

Oh ok, 15mins would surely be enough time... I usually just leave the choke on for a minute or two and putt around a little to warm it up.

Good question! I've never used an OKO before, but can you put the choke halfway in and have it sit there?

Do you get what I mean when I say the bike is possibly running too lean if it dies without the choke on?
Choke on = engine is running really rich
Choke off = engine is running at normal mixture (letting more air in)

So (assuming you've got the idle set correctly), if it runs fine with the choke on and dies with the choke off I think you need to richen up your mixture with the mixture screw.

I hope I'm not over simplifying things for you, it sounds like this is your first bike so I just want to make sure you understand what I'm talking about :)

P.s. When 'lets ride' said float clip I think he was referring to the needle clip.

Yeah your not over simplifying it for me :) it is my first bike mate :)

I don't think the choke can go half on from memory

I have the needle clip on the bottom notch so full richness and I have a 36 pilot so I don't think that is too small.

I'm really not sure what the problem is :S

Is it that bad to run the bike with the choke on?

Id be pulling the carby off and pulling it apart there easy as to tear down...

Clean out the jets and every little hole u can find with some compressed air chuck it all back together and check of air leaks around both sides of the manifold those rubber joiners where the o-ring meets the manifold are crap ... i made a gasket up instead.

heres a teardown / rebuild vid : oko flatslide strip down - YouTube

Now its 150cc : 36 pilot and 95 main or even 98 main might be better try mixture 1.5 turn out and needle middle clip for a starting point and it should work ok so i doubt your jetting or even the mixture is any issue even a pritty poorly tunned oko will still run and idle with the choke off

Last edited:
No worries mate, I will try that :) thanks for the tips, and I will let you know how it goes!

And any more tips are completely welcome anyone

Just to answer your question about if riding with the choke on is bad - not really, it will just fowl your plugs quickly (fowl means the tip of the spark plug gets covered in black soot and doesn't spark properly anymore) which will cause your bike to run like **** or not start at all. Usually if the bike is tuned correctly it will start to stall if you've left the choke on.

No biggy - you can clean the spark plug by trying to burn off the soot by dipping the tip of the plug in petrol and lighting it on fire, then clean it with a wire brush, or just get a new plug - i think they're only about $6 anyway from memory.

Anyway I'd give what Nickv said a go, that will at least get you in the ball park of where your settings should be and should get you running :)

Latest posts

Back