china start in any gear clutch upgrade..

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean01

Legend Spanner Spinner
Reaction score
ok i got this info a while back and tested it out.. thanks to FPM for pointing me in the right direction.. and thanks Clayton from QBR in Lawnton for supplying a couple of crf50 idle gears..

i done 2 of these, mine is yet to be installed and one is in an LXR with 64mm TB BBK and V2 head, been in there since before the black duck valley ride day and still going strong..

quick note tho.. i don't expect these to be a permanent fix but they definitely slow down the failure rate of these china clutches

ok what you need is

standard china engine clutch basket
genuine crf50 or 70 clutch idler gear (ebay usa usually has them)
6 x m6x1x12mm long unbreako bolts (allen key headed) 10mm will fit, 15mm need cutting down
angle grinder with metal grinding disk
steel punch about 5mm in diameter
6 or 7mm drill bit
m6x1 tap
thread lock loctite

ok

grind the heads of the rivets off the china clutch basket but try not to damage the plate.

000_0935.jpg

next remove the plate without bending it and remove the old rubbers.
then punch the remaining rivets out of the clutch basket.

000_0936.jpg

now depending how sharp your tap is the holes may need drilling to suit an m6 bolt.
tap the 6 holes all the way thru.
degrease and clean the clutch basket..

get the crf idler gear and do the same with the rivets, remove the plate and pull the rubbers out..
install the rubbers into your china clutch basket (make sure there clean)

now the plate will need drilling so the m6 bolts will go through them. make sure you debur the holes too.

ok ready to assemble the plate and bolts... make sure you use loctite on all the bolts and make sure the bolts aren't too long and poke through the other side as it will interfere with the inner clutch hub.

the bolts i used needed a couple of mm ground off them so it cleared the kicker gears.. you need a good couple of mm clearance as the clutch wobbles a bit when running..

000_0937.jpg

and there you have it, you now have a serviceable clutch.

Reactions: TDR
What does this help cause I have a lifan 140 in my monkey that spat the clutch today i i ordered new 1 from Dhz , can sum 1 explain the mod shown here

it stops the rubbers in the clutch getting destroyed... when there dead you will hear the clutch flogging around and most of the time it will sound like a big end knock.

the rubbers in crf50 and 70 idler gears are stronger than the china ones..

Ah ha I see thanks mate that's exactly what mine was doing

Well done, Sir:) That's just how I do 'em. One Chinese headache solved, a few more to go...

top job sean funny thing is i done this a week ago on my daytona clutch
only difference is the bolts i used where counter sunk ones

i counter sunk them into the basket a bit and drilled the holes in the back plate a bit
bigger
the end result is still the same

Latest posts

Back