China syndrome

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punisher

Reaction score
I have a thread going else where with a few details of my build but I decided to do it properly and move it to the 'Minibike Builds' section. So here goes ...

syndrome1.jpg

The project starts with the purchase of one slightly used BBR Style frame courtesy of miniriders member 'REIGN BIGFOOT' ...

bike2.jpg

The frame is then sanded progressively with 400, 600, 800, and finally 1200 wet and dry paper ( used wet )

Then polished using some metal polish and a car buff to bring it to a shine ...

bike1.jpg

The problem at this stage was the diffuculty of polishing along the welds so it was then decided to remove the weld for a smooth finish.

grind.jpg

This was the first rough grind with a quick polish to check the lines.

Once the grinding sanding and polishing was finished, the assembly begins ...

newframe1.jpg

Some modification was required to fit the rear shock. The gap where the top of the shock fits is smaller with this frame so the spacers in the top of the shock were ground down to fit.

shock1.jpg

The shock only just fits in length ways and the bike initially appears to sit quite tall.
The frame also requires some modification to a crossbrace that sits above the resevoir on the shock. It just touches and will require clearancing.

Last edited:
Another issue using this frame was fitting the 'trees'.
The tappered needle bearings from the trees dont fit this frame.
Instead I used the BMX style bearings the frame came with which isnt ideal but will suffice for the time being. At a later date I may machine the frame to accept the tappered needle bearings and cups.

Also the bearing cap didnt fit arounfd the head of the frame, so instead I used one off a 250 frame.

stemcap.jpg

Holes for the brake cylinder dont line up and I will have to make another bracket to suit.

brakeass.jpg

I also need to source a foot brake assembly to suit this frame.

Origonally I had planned to use this swingarm but when trying to fit, realised it wasnt going to fit with this shock. ( too long )

IMG_1757.jpg

Also the swing arm that came with the new frame is lighter and has a stronger bearing arrangement.
So its not as pretty but is more practical really.

The next problem I forsee is the exhaust. Because with the BBR style frame, I expect the exhaust will need to pass inside the frame.

lookin good mate yeh get that brace fixed before your first ride

At a later date I may machine the frame to accept the tappered needle bearings and cups.

There is more then one size taper bearings sold for them, measure yours and look around, will save a
lot of effort

can those exhaust fit reservoir shock or are they like dhz ones

Looking good punisher. When I built mine I found lots of dramas as well ended up having to hand fab lots of parts to get her together. cant help you with the brake arm because mine is based on a old provert style frame and the brake arm mount is quite diferent to yours. I also had the problem with stearing bearings first I made a stem to fit the roller bearings, but recently I found some bearings to adapt the frame to tapers ended up turning a new stem to make em fit. When I first had mine together I ran a standard crf exhaust on the outside of the frame, now I have a custom low exhaust as mine is strictly motard only. keep up the good work you will love it when you get finished.

Tina

Last edited:
Very nice bike Tina, big fan of the exhaust..

company i work for sell bearings mate, we have a store in launy......, but they should be able to help you out, take the bearings you have in there and tell them what you want to do

webster bearings
invermay rd

company i work for sell bearings mate, we have a store in launy......, but they should be able to help you out, take the bearings you have in there and tell them what you want to do

webster bearings
invermay rd

Latest posts

Back