Clicking starter noise

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snizzers

Reaction score
Hi there, thought id start a new thread on this weird noise we have from the starter area. We have Jailingy type bottom end with the starter that engages with 1st gear. We just changed the gear box as the starter had stripped all the teeth off 1st gear under previouse owners watch. We changed all that and it runs.

EDIT: changed a bit after obseravtion. Its not the starter. When running, if you push kickstarter down a little that makes a different clicking noise; louder but similar to the noise we have. So our noise is something else. Some definate observations:

IN NEUTRAL: clicking noise is there with clutch in or out.
IN GEAR: with clutch in (back wheel stationary) the noise stops
IN GEAR: but clutch out (rear wheel driving) we have the noise.

If we stop engine, take plug out and rotate rear wheel in 4th gear we can sometimes hear it bit not always

Any thoughts would be ace and we'll pull bits off again tomorrow. cheers. Neil n Edd

Last edited:
You have to make sure that the kickstarter shaft is rotated fully clockwise and is getting pushed hard against the matching stop part on the case by the kickstart return spring ... IF it's not assembled with adequate return spring tension , the ratchet will "ski-jump" and will engage if the motor is rotated in reverse (ie during a kick back) ... A binding kicker shaft (bent or tight in the cases) , broken or weak return spring can cause similar problems like the symptoms you're describing ...

A bit of an update after obseravtions. It dont think it is the starter. When running, if you push kickstarter down a little that makes a different clicking noise; louder but similar to the noise we have. I think our kickstarter is OK. So our noise is something else. Some definate observations:

IN NEUTRAL: clicking noise is there with clutch in or out.
IN GEAR: with clutch in (back wheel stationary) the noise stops
IN GEAR: but clutch out (rear wheel driving) we have the noise.

What do you think?

Hello Chaps, any comments? It would be good to get some advice !!
rgds
Neil

Mate its kinda hard without a video, if you can do a vid on your phone and upload it to YouTube it will be easier to diagnose

Hi Rotn50

heres a video that hopefully shows the noise.

[video=youtube;TpapoTq_frQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpapoTq_frQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]
2012 11 03 12 25 47 - YouTube

Cheers, Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mate,
a suggestion probably worth trying. Take the magneto cover off and start her up again and have a look to see if anything is out of the usual.

I had a very similar problem once with a Chinese 140cc engine, and it turned out a screw behind the magneto had come loose and was rubbing on the magneto withe very revolution.

But as you say it changes with gears, then it's most probably not the magneto sorry.

I'll keep looking, but someone here should be able to give you better help than I :)

A quick note, have you checked your clutch adjustment?

Last edited:
On another note the clicking sound sounds just like my bike when I accidentally kick it a seocnd time after it start. Maybe its a problem with the electric start or kicker ?

cheers for the video neil, so it makes that noise in neutral, but when in gear with the clutch in it stops but when you let the clutch out in gear it starts again, id be checking this clutch drive cog and making sure there isnt a tolerance out and it is hitting the selector star bolt head, as you can see in this pic it sits no more than half a mm off the bolt, id also remove the drive cog and inspect the back of it as i think there is a plate and isnt uncommon to sometimes see them stretched or with damage.
20121104_074241.jpg

when you had it apart, did you remove the starter motor?
does the electric starter still work?

Latest posts

Back