clutch loose

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_plow

Reaction score
the clutch on my brand new xy 140cc engine seems to not be very tight,
to try and explain it the best i can..
the actual clutch arm doesn't really have a tight point, ive adjusted the cable and the arm just keeps enguaging too far, and pushing the arm with my fingers it doesn't feel stiff enough. when pulling the leaver i physically have to push it back to disenguage.
is it possible the the clutch plates are too loose? (the nuts at the end of the springs on the clutch)

doesnt sound right mate... sounds like something inside isnt assembled correctly.

my suggestion would be to take it back to where you bought it from and get them to check it out..

couple of questions tho.

are you using the correct cable and not a 125 cable??
does the clutch seem to work even tho it's acting like this??
does it make any crazy/weird noises when using the clutch??

Is there a spot where it stops moving, when pushing by hand? Get it to that point, slip a Crescent wrench on the lever, and push rearward, moving the lever forward. I'm betting you haven't got enough slack outta the cable. It should be at about 11o'clock, from above, before engaging the clutch springs.

i got a new 140 clutch cable from dhz as my 125 didn't fit.
there is a spot where it stops moving but that is clutch fully engaged, also its def not the cable. moving the arm with my fingers it doesn't have that tension that a clutch should have.

also engine has not been started yet as i don't have the correct kick start

You will not be able to move the clutch arm on the case by hand, except when taking up the slack.

yep sounds like you confusing yourself with the clutch levers free play.

get a shifter or multi grips and grab hold of the clutch lever and force it past the free play.

when setting the cable up, the adjuster nuts on the cable will probably be near fully adjusted..

my thoughts exactly, looking at my other two bikes clutches it moves to the full engaged

take a picture and show us how you've got the cable setup.. like Terry said you won't be able to fully engage the clutch just by pulling on the lever on the case with your hand.

will get a pic later today, only have my crummy camera here though

Latest posts

Back