Clutch.....maybe?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roscoe_w

Reaction score
Hi tech masters

Inhale DHZ 160 r outlaw with approx 3.5 hours on it.

Problem is since last weekend, it's feel like the clutch is slipping in and out of the gear. It engages all the gears but then sort of shudders. Almost like if you had bad fuel.....

It started in 2 gear only but now it does it in ll gears.

Any ideas?

Thanks

doesnt sound like a clutch problem, sounds like a gear meshing problem..

ring dhz and see what they say..

Make sure all engine mount bolts and swing arm bolt are tight.
It may sound silly but when they come loose and the chain dont mesh properly on the sprockets it gives it a feeling like the gear box is playing up.

nah thats not silly, it does actually happen but obviously easily over looked on here..

spose i gotta stop thinking that people do actually look at the obvious things before posting on here

I just post suggestions of problems I have ran into on occasions.
The problem mentioned above I have happen to my outlaw and it was a pain in the bum to find.
The bolts going through the engine are a fair bit smaller than the wholes in the engine casing and the engine mounts on the frame and unless they are FT they move but only when accelerating or backing off with clutch out.
I found it did it only in 2nd gear to start with maybe because of the load put on it because of the diference in ratio from 1st to 2nd. After a while it did it in all gears. Turned out it was just getting more lose over time but no matter how much I manually tried moving the engine I could not budge it.

Thanks DHZ. Teh front sprocket has a fair bit of play on it from side to side. I would say 5-8mm of play.

What do you think, could that be it?

the front sprocket play is normal... he's talking about chain tension, if its too loose then the chain can jump teeth on the sprockets and cause a gear jumping feeling

Chain tension is fine. Checked that twice, when it started

Ok so check all engine bolts is the first one for me to do check out?

Alright, DHZ checked bolts and they were slightly loose, but nothing serious.

Tookmit for a ride and within 5 meters it was still there. It's really bad, un ridable. My dad reckons its then clutch which he feels is sliipping and not engaging.

Any idea?

ok... explain the shudder clearer.. is it jerking in and out of gear?
slipping clutch doesnt really shudder, it acts like your slipping the clutch manually and will rev higher than normal..
a good tell tail of clutch slip is colour of oil and the crap that comes out with it... it will smell burnt too..

might pay to get a bike mechanic to look at it.. china bike mechanic that is too.. jap shops will more than likely turn there nose up at you..
it will only take an experienced mechanic a 2 minute ride to sus it out..

one other question... does it make any weirder than normal noises when kick starting it.. have you drained the oil and found the oil is a little metallic?

Yes Sean it is jerking in and out of the gear. Thats exactly whats its doing.

havent drained oil yet, but will do on weekend. What do you mean by metallic? metallic in colour or pieces of metal around?

havent drained oil yet, but will do on weekend. What do you mean by metallic? metallic in colour or pieces of metal around?

both..

jerking in and out of gear can only lead me to think its an internal gear messing problem... get take it back to DHZ if its still under warranty..they'll sus it out..

Noises are no different on starting. It's nit under warranty, I bought it second hand with30 mins on the hour meter. Gear meshing was the same thing my thought. Would I be best to ake it to a mechanic?

Latest posts

Back