Clutch problem...assistance required

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 9190

Reaction score
Hey guys,
As the thread name suggests my clutch has bitten the dust(i think) and I need someone to look at some pictures and tell me what things are supposed to look like so I can figure out whats wrong.

Heres what happened:
Fired it up yesterday to make sure it ran so i could take it out for a ride today. Started and warmed up fine but when i put it into gear it snapped the clutch cable and took off. Next time i will be pointing the thing outside the garage beacause it nearly ploughed into my cbr600rr. I made a new clutch cable (cut down a univeral one and soldered the end on). The cable fit but it felt a bit floppy. Took it outside to try put it in gear again and the clutch wouldnt engage. Rolled it down the drive a few times in 4th hoping something would just loosen up inside. No joy. Im no mechanic but i took the case off the engine figuring i couldnt stuff it up much more.

Forgive me if I name parts incorrectly but heres what I found...
pulling the clutch from the outside of the engine case moves the plate that pushes a shaft(?) into the clutch. So far this seems normal and working.
After taking the cover off the clutch I found that one of the teeth on the gold coloured clutch basket(?) was bent inwards. Going to assume thats a bad thing. See pictures.

Can someone tell me how the clutch is actually engaged? Does the whole clutch get pushed inwards toward the engine or do only the internal parts get shifted? Currently no part of the clutch seems to move in or out which makes me think that its jammed some how. It does spin though. I cant get the clutch off the engine because i dont have the special tool.

Can someone also tell me which engine I have. It is on an Atomik motox 125 bought about 2 years ago.

Here are the pics. I have highlighted the bent tooth(already used a screwdriver to bend it out a bit). If you need more just tell me what to snap.

Thanks in advance and sorry this turned into a bit of an essay!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
ok if you take the clutch off there will be a gear with a sleeve in it, sometimes the sleeve seizes to the gear and the result is what is happening to you.

no need to worry about the little gold flap bent in coz when i went to the repair place to get my clutch taken off about three of mine were bent down and the people just bent it back to take the clutch off.... I dont know fr sure but im pretty curtain that it has no effect

ok so to get the clutch off the engine i need one of these?
Can someone explain to me what it actually is? Looks like a chunk of plastic without any way of turning it. Or is it a socket attachment?
Is it a standard part i could get from any bike shop or do i need a china specific one?

yer u need a spiecal china pulle.
dont worry about that metal bit, it jst there to help lock the clutch down im pretty sure

use a compress to get it off, quick and easyer, if u have to do by hand, big braker bar and a screw river put in the cogs behind it will stop it from spining!

while its off, clean ur cluch plates and replace if needed

tools goes into a 1/2, breaker bar, if thats wat u asking

another link,
Special Tools. Fly wheel or Clutch remover 50cc-160cc - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 21-May-10 20:59:36 AEST)

Last edited:
or just take the engine or bike to a repair place and they'll take it off for nearly nothing or free if they don't have a big waiting line.

yep the castle nut tool as you linked is wat you need to remove it...

it fits onto a 1/2 rattle gun or breaker bar... and yeah rattle gun makes it 1 million times easier to undo.

and the little tabs on tht washer are there to lock the nut from undoing..

So the tab was supposed to be bent in? that wasnt something that was broken? Just need to know for when i (hopefully) fix this thing.

Im going to buy this . Hopefully ill be able to get the clutch out and investigate further.

Anyone know what engine i have from the pics? Would need to know if i need to replace the clutch.

while we are on the topic can someone tell me what a worn clutch plate would look like and where i would get replacements from. Cant see any on ebay or dhz.

Thanks guys. Its an awesome little forum we have happening here...always someone willing to help out.

lifan or ducar engine i think, but if you post yr engine number it would be easier to tell..
on the clutch plates they have little grooves between the fiber pads, if there nearly non existent then the plates are rooted.
and also if the they look really dark like a burnt colour then there rooted too..

its easier to replace with a complete unit.. from memory there pretty cheap Lifan 125cc Complete Clutch Unit - DHZ Mini Moto
i noticed tht clutch is out of stock but it gives you a general idea on price..
there will definitely be a couple on ebay to choose from

also tht link for the tool, just remember your only buying 1 of the 3 tools in the picture..

Ok so I finally got the clutch out. To be honest everything seems fine about it. Plates look ok. Gears behind it are not jammed etc. If i put it face down and push really hard on the inside it will move in about a mm or 2.

Cant really tell if its broken or if something else is the issue. Or maybe if i just put it all back together it will work just fine..something was jammed but now isnt??? No idea. Heres a pic.

Any insights?

5.jpg

Last edited:
did you check the sleeve inside the gears at the back?

2 gears i think there is and a sleeve that runs inside them

Yup the sleeve is on the far right of the pic. It slid around really easily and smoothly. How hard should it be to push the clutch in manually? the fact that it wouldnt engage at all suggests that its not being moving in and out like its supposed to. Thats the only explanation I can come up with.

yep tht sounds about right... and being easy to push in by hand should only make the clutch work easier..

its possible tht the clutch plates have frozen together but other than that im out off options to tell you as its getting to the stage where id need it in front of me...

all i can suggest is you put it back together do the nut up tight and bend the lock washer over and fit the cover and use the clutch arm with a shifter and see if it feels normal.. and there should only be about 3mm play in the clutch arm on the cover.. and a slight bit of movement in the mech in the cover..

oh one last question... was the clutch nut easy or hard to take off?

the clutch nut that i took off with the castle thing was hard to get off...very hard. I ended up jamming a spanner handle into the castle tool and then using an asjustable spanner to get leverage on it. It was on there real tight.

If everyone is out of ideas I will try putting it back together and see if it works. Failing that ill take it apart again and take the clutch to a bike shop and see what they say.

Took the clutch to a mechanic who said it looked to be in good condition but i was gonna have to pay him to take it apart.

Instead i cleaned the engine out, put it all back together, filled it with fresh oil and now it works! Had to adjust some things to get it to play nice but it seems to be running fine.

No idea what the problem was. Perhaps taking it apart and knocking it around a bit freed up something.

Hopefuly it doesnt do it again.

Latest posts

Back