Crf50 frame strengthening / bracing

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clayblls

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have searched on the forums regarding frame welding/bracing for crf50 frames, and now I'm attempting to find someone from Perth who might be able to help me. I have never touched a welder before so I need someone else to do it for me in return for some $$$.

I searched the forums and found a couple of members who might be able to point me in the right direction.. Hillz? (Tried to pm you but your inbox is full) and if anyone knows SGONE (miniriders username) tell him to check his MR inbox, Cheers guys!

If I can't find anyone on here I will just take it to a generic metalworker so please post here if you can recommend anyone!

Thanks, Clay

Anyone that can weld would be able to do it for you bud.

A few threads with pictures on how other guys have done it.

Here are a couple of good frame bracing/strengthening threads-
http://www.miniriders.com/japanese-mini-s/20147-frame-bracing.html
http://www.miniriders.com/tech-talk/20219-frame-bracing-strenthening.html?highlight=frame+bracing

Bilco's CRF50 frame

photo_4_1.jpg

pics off google

xtend50frame-1.jpg

images

Make sure you buy and weld on or make your own engine cradle too,
it will stop your peg mounts breaking off the bottom of the engine, cracking cases etc

mkRiIQZvaSm2Y8tZIS0NjKg.jpg

cradlemount-klx_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful, thanks guys. I think I was being a bit too skeptical about the welder, but I suppose welding is welding. I'll get my plan ready and go find a decent welder and get it done. What do you guys think would be a fair price to pay someone to do a weld job similar to what bilco's frame is like? I don't know too much about welding.. Cheers

If you buy the steel and trim it to suit, and bare metal the frame where you want it welded, then give the frame to a someone to just weld together then i'm guessing around $75
If they need to cut the steel, trim it up, and copy Bilcos' frame then i'd guess at between $100 and $150

If you want a engine cradle welded in at the same time, make sure you have the engine fitted and the cradle all bolted up tight before it is welded

image.jpg

Cheers for the info 67, I went over to a metal works warehouse and the boys there gave me some metal cutoffs so I though I would give the grinder a run.

Last edited:
I just braced my crf5o frame and now the fuel tank is unbalanced and sits higher do I just put washers between the frame and fuel tank when I bolt it back on and will it throw my seat and plastics out of whack and make them not fit properly?

Yeah it probably will, bolt the tank up and add washer's to level it out.
Then fit up the plastic's and you might need to swap the washer's front the front to the back of the tank.
How has it changed anyway ?
Got any pic's ?

I've still gotta paint the frame then I'll get some pics when I'm putting it back together

Latest posts

Back