CRF70 not starting

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kp13

Reaction score
My son has a Honda CRF70 which is about a year old. Took it away last week and couldn't get it started. It has new fuel in it. Tried kickstarting with the choke on and off - no luck. The spark plug looked a bit black, cleaned it up and put it back in but still not working. A spark is going through the spark plug.

Haven't had any trouble with it before this and it started for about 30 seconds, I closed the choke too soon and it stopped and then wouldn't start again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I need to check to get it going??

fuel blockage...

check tank breather and if the carby has a fuel drain screw in the bottom of the bowl loosen it and see if fuel is coming out, if not then slightly tap the fuel bowl with the plastic end of a screw driver...

Thanks for the suggestion...checked all that and there was no fuel blockage. Think it is a problem with the ignition coil.

Ignition coil

I have a Honda CRF70 with an ignition coil that looks like it has shorted out. Is there a way of checking it out or should I just buy a new one? I think it has shorted out because resistance on the primary side shows 0 ohms.

Thanks,
Kirrily

but you say it has spark at the coil...

try and keep this to 1 thread....

how did you test your coil for resistance?

couldn't see a spark today when testing it - there was a spark when I looked at it last time though, used a multi meter to check the resistence of the coil.

the primary/input side of the ignition coil, the 2 lugs that were coming directly out of the coil - not the big spark plug side

try the output side and earth and the output side and trigger, also with and without the spark cap... some spark caps have a build in resistor and if the stator is getting a bit tired then the spark will be weak as p*ss. quick fix is to replace the cap with a non resistor type cap and plug

Kill switch been knocked!??-sounds silly but happens SO often and often overlooked!

also have noticed when they sit the fuel inm the carby turns to crap really quick open the screw on the bottom of the carby and let some drain out has happend to me heaps

No, kill switch is OK...thanks for suggesting it though.

have drained the fuel out of the carby, had that happen in another bike once before so knew about checking it this time on this bike.

Latest posts

Back