engine tube smoking help please

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the engine tube on my dhz 140 is blowing white smoke the bike is hard to start(has to be pull started) it does not idle when running. the exhaust blows no smoke whats happened? thanks

I presume you mean the manifold (carby)?
I presume you mean push (roll) started? I'm fairly sure it's not a lawnmower :p

I hope you have a video camera handy (or a phone/still camera that can take video)...

What sort of maintenance do you do on your bike?
Have you done your valves?
Have you checked for air leaks?
etc...

you know the tube from the top of the engine itsself above the sprocket.. its the one thats smoking and yeah well i tried roll starting for a few minutes but had to tie it to the back of the four wheeler to start. the bike is not that old im not very mechanical.. so i change the oil and thats about it for the engine

If it's puffing white smoke out of the engine case you've possibly cooked your rings! (rebuild time)

Otherwise, try giving it a good service (valves, fresh oil, tune up etc...) and see if the problem still exists :)

Hit up the tech section, all the information you need is in there, starting with:
http://www.miniriders.com.au/motor-tutorials/24965-how-set-valve-clearances-horizontal-engines.html

Oh, and that's the crank case breather you're talking about... It certainly isn't to lube the chain!

Last edited:
wouldnt the exhaust smoke if i had wrecked the rings? please say yes cos i dont wanna attempt to rebuild it... there is no smoke out the exhaust at all just that crank case breather

Fair enough... Get the other maintenance done and see how it runs :)

Are you sure it hasn't got water in the oil? If you drop the oil and it's milky that was your problem.

firstly how much oil are you putting in it. and wat grade?
now it could also be that you have drowned the engine.. if you stall yr bike in a decent puddle and the engine breather is dangling in the water the heat from within the engine will draw water into the engine, then the water/oil boils..

i doubt at this stage the rings are gone

well tonight i changed the oil. put 15w-50 castrol 4t in it to 1/3 way up the dipstick and it still smokes

so how much oil is 1/3 of the stick.. could be the wrong stick!!
and wat colour was the oil you dropped out of it?

a 140 should have around 850mls. personally i use 900mls

and have you done the valve clearances? might be the hard starting problem..

Sounds like compression is escaping into the bottom end pressurising the crankcase , Id say you will be up for piston and rings.Does the motor have good compression? I holed a piston(blew through the compression ring land) in a car once and it blew heaps of white smoke out of the rocker cover breather.

yeh happened to me....its the tube that hangs over the sprocket to lubricate the chain or something...(I think) it comes straight from the engine and i remember reading a post where someone had white smoke coming from the oil because its too cold or just been sitting there for too long. I got mine started with start ya bastard and there are no problems. I also did what the other guys recommended..

hahhaha... yeah you know the automatic chain lube hose.... hahahha.. wow some people amaze me..

that hose is your crankcase vent bud

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back