Exhaust glowing red hot after 5 mins of riding?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoozo

Banned Wanker of the Century
Reaction score
Howdy well as the title suggests I was doing some prep for the ride tomorrow. I jumped off the bike after holding it flat in 3rd to the red line, jumped off and the exhaust was glowing red hot at the bottom the whole bend.....is this normal?? Cant say ive ever really looked at it just as I stop riding, but seems a little odd, the rest of the motor was pretty cool after only 5 mins I could touch the head no worries.....

I did just put a new lead on which is supposed to increase the spark and running the bike on premium....or is this jsut something I havnt noticed before or is it a problem??

Yea mate. Thats normal.

Youll notice it much more when its sorta dark.

might need retuning now if it's getting a better spark, mixtures etc ?
have you checked what the spark looks like ?

richen it up a bit and try it out, could possibly need to have the clip lowered on the needle too

Should check valve clearences aswell, just to be safe. Sometimes the valves being out can cause a glowing exhaust too.

Ok well its basically dark so that makes sense as to why Ive never noticed before cheers Snaptrax!!!

Yeah Craig it was big and blue....like snap crackle pop, I think you could probably hear it sparking on the other side of the road....it seem to be running richer now anyways....Could be the premium though, I put it in then realised with the new lead and fuel its probably going to affect the mixtures....its running so Ill play with it tomorrow. Not sure if I'll bring that or the reliable bike tomorrow....will flip a coin later I think!! Big bike is fine and ready to go minus about 3 plastics bolts!! That carby is a bit of a pain in the bum to get off with all the spacers and gaskets in there....

Thanks guys no worries about that then!!

the valve clearances were done with maybe 2 hours of run time since.
and it's a new exhaust gasket and pipe.

i'd say it's a touch lean now.
the pipe wasn't getting red hot when we first got it running, and that was with a manifold leak.
i'm guessing that the new Nology style spark plug lead is helping it to burn a lot more fuel than the standard lead.

the valve clearances were done with maybe 2 hours of run time since.
and it's a new exhaust gasket and pipe.

i'd say it's a touch lean now.
the pipe wasn't getting red hot when we first got it running, and that was with a manifold leak.
i'm guessing that the new Nology style spark plug lead is helping it to burn a lot more fuel than the standard lead.

YAY tuning mikunis....ill see if I can get it off tomorrow and turn the mixture screw in to richen it? Bit late to be out there starting the bike up now! Is it going to be easier to pick me up Craig or should I come down there tomorrow with what ever bike im going to bring?

yes, in to richen.
and either way, i'm not fussed

Ok well come pick me up then I recons! Then dont have to double handle the bike!! You think its risky running the small bike with the gear box the way it is and the clutch for half a day?? Might be a bit risky until I get a smaller sprocket.

Also It was near on dark when I came in from the 5 mins....so Im pretty sure thats why I noticed and I had actually been revving its tits off up and down the road in 3rd and hit it flat in 4th for the last minute or so....so it would have been up to running temperature by then Im sure, well at least the exhaust!! Im not to worried think this bike might stay at home tomorrow cause I dont want to be looking for a new clutch on sunday!!

Suppose I could plug chop it...should be right reading if the exhaust was glowing!!

same principal, different looks/engineering

stoozo, as long as it wasn't idling, or had just been idling before you turned it off

Maybe for a couple of seconds after I came flying in from up the 'private road', had it in 4th back to first under brakes rode into the driveway revved it a bit cause idling high due to air leak....then turned it off looked down and was like what....but it was pretty much dark by that stage too, Im not really worried the head and gearbox etc wasnt that hot so, pretty sure its just that it was dark and had just been run for 5mins flat out....

Latest posts

Back