expression of interest for yx160 billet cases

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tormentandglory

Reaction score
Hi guys, I haven't been posting for a while. To busy on the spanners! :)

How many people have been having trouble smashing cases in their yx160 engines?

I've been working with a friend of mine and I'm pretty confident we can make a production run of 6061 billet engine cases. I should have a plastic prototype ready for testing in a few weeks. I'll dummy assemble an engine and if it looks good we're gonna make a batch of right side cases. Left side cases will cost a lot more (bigger billet and more complicated machining)

Its estimated they will be about $600ish, just for the right side. But they should be bomb proof. $600 sounds like a lot, but if you only buy it once its a winner. I'm tipping theres a lot of riders out there who have been forced into rebuilds or new engines because of a broken case.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from anybody who would be interested in buying one. Bigger runs mean lower prices. The initial estimate is based on a run of 10 units.

sounds good... where are these gonna be produced? china? japan? aus? usa? .....?
get pics up as soon as you can.
got and cad drawings? anything like that? what progress have you actually made other than an idea?

They'll be made in melbourne. A friend of mine has 2 cnc machining centres and is happy to have a cash job on the side when work gets a bit quiet. He's a very clever man and I have no doubt he'll do an amazing job. Not much progress yet, but we should have a plastic prototype soon. I'll post pics when we have something to show.

iv never broken cases with any of my engines or kicker gears, but iv bent cranks, shat clutch's and so on..

but i'll see how i go with my current engine. hi comp 200cc is likely to kill a case or something..

lol while your at it, how about milling some billet clutch baskets.. they would sell pretty easy..
and i for one would more than likely buy a couple.

lol while your at it, how about milling some billet clutch baskets.. they would sell pretty easy..
and i for one would more than likely buy a couple.

Yeah, I've thought about clutches before. I haven't come up with a good way to re-make it any better than the original. Copying it with better material isn't gonna be good enough.

well the main thing that die's in china clutch's is the dampening rubbers, then all breaks loose from there. stripped teeth, bent cranks and more..

so the idea would be to buy a TB ring gear and rubber kit then make the baskets (copy the china ones).
TB's full version are no longer available but the spare parts are.
TB YX & GPX 6 Plate BILLET CLUTCHReplacment Dampers - Pit Bike Engine Parts - CLUTCH KITS - TB YX & GPX 6 Plate BILLET CLUTCHReplacment Dampers - TBolt USA, LLC
TB YX & GPX 6 Plate BILLET CLUTCHReplacment Primary gear - Pit Bike Engine Parts - CLUTCH KITS - TB YX & GPX 6 Plate BILLET CLUTCHReplacment Primary gear - TBolt USA, LLC

or do as the other versions and make it so it uses the china ring gear but uses better rubbers (crf250 or similar)
that way they are generic so people can use them in z155's or yx/lifans.

something like this Geeco Billet Clutch Basket
GeecoClutchBasket_4in.jpg

another kit Takegawa Special Clutch Kit - China Engines - Pit Bike Engine Parts - CLUTCH KITS - Takegawa Special Clutch Kit - China Engines - TBolt USA, LLC

+2 on the billet clutches id buy one. the geeco basket is the way to go with the crf250 rubbers.

+2 on the billet clutches id buy one. the geeco basket is the way to go with the crf250 rubbers.

+3 on billet clutches i would buy one of you make them

i dont see a huge neccesity on cases i personally have never broken one and i myself havent heard of any cases being broken on the 155z or 160ho's

Rebuilding a stock basket with Honda rubbers is easy enough. What I think is needed is the gear that slides in the back of the basket. Needs full length splines, large enough to be a press-fit in the basket, and a bronze bushing. Geeco basket is handsome, but doesn't cure any real issue, besides the bad rubber China used a while back. Haven't had a set wipe out in a bit, though.

Taller-ratio primary drive gear would be sweet for the high-speed work like street riders and road racers.

Now, a set of cases made to slip a CR80/85 trans in to, that may have a niche.

Rebuilding a stock basket with Honda rubbers is easy enough. What I think is needed is the gear that slides in the back of the basket. Needs full length splines, large enough to be a press-fit in the basket, and a bronze bushing. Geeco basket is handsome, but doesn't cure any real issue, besides the bad rubber China used a while back. Haven't had a set wipe out in a bit, though.

Taller-ratio primary drive gear would be sweet for the high-speed work like street riders and road racers.

Now, a set of cases made to slip a CR80/85 trans in to, that may have a niche.

yeah now your talking.. 5 speed (6 would be overkill) would def take some strain off the rest of the engine..

also thats why i mentioned a basket that uses the tb ring gear..

Latest posts

Back