Feedback on this frame?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unit_mx

Reaction score
Just found this alloy frame on the Pitboss website , looks a good length and wouldn't mind putting it into my honda for the time being just as a little experiment. Everything VM pitboss I have ever bought has been very good quality and the frame appears to be from the good ol' days of 04/05 when pitboss where at its peak.

My question is , would such a frame be of reasonable quality and greater durability than the stock crf50 frame?
The welds look quite nice and it looks quite strong but Im in dire need of some experts to tell me the good from bad as im not that familiar with metal.

Cheers
Louis

Because I would have to send it down to Adam at the gong which will cost around $20 then get him to brace it for another $40 then get it sent back for another $20 then pay $180 to have it sandblasted or bead blasted and powdercoated. Total cost $260. Preety expensive considering I can buy Bretto's five-o 1 incha for only $275.

Nothings concrete but I like the look of this frame , that subframe looks awsome.

its a good looking frame mate.....only thing i dont like is were the sub frame bolts to the frame i dont like how the brackets are welded on would be better if it was a complete cast if ya get me.......but other than that its pretty sweet how much is it?

dont know bout alloy?Get stock frame braced and just leave it?prob solved.My 88 orig frame was just braced and not painted looked ok,the bracing may hav been spayed silver to match frame.
Oh and my 5-o frame sold payment pending..

I never claim to be an "expert" ... X is an unknown factor and a spurt is a drip under pressure ... but those frames aren't for rough treatment or jumping ... Motard ... yes ... Once again ... my relo bought one ... then didn't believe what I told him when I inspected it ... so he enquired at various shops and got told exactly the same thing ... :p ... It took a while but Davo doesn't question me anymore ....

welds look abit tighter tahn stock 50 my guess is it wood take it a bit better but yea thats my 2 cents on it

I never claim to be an "expert".

You never claim to be one but you wouldnt need to claim to be an expert coz all anyone needs to do is read just one of your posts to see that you know what your talking about and that you are full of experience. ;)

Damn that looks solid

Loving the welds on it aswell....

That would look so sweet polished up nicely!

welds look abit tighter tahn stock 50 my guess is it wood take it a bit better but yea thats my 2 cents on it

Yes the welds are good ! But it's not the welds that are the problem ... it's the tubing section that the back bone/spine is made of ... Size for size ... aluminium is far weaker than steel ... get a piece of steel pipe , angle it off a curb and drive over it in a car ... then get the same section of alloy pipe and try it again ... People will learn extremely quickly that way (destructive testing) .... :p

Incidentally Davo looked like this ... :eek: ... when the foot broke off the aluminium stand that came with the exact same frame as above ... and the weld was still intact on the foot but simply hadn't fused with the stand leg ...

When viewing welding ... think of it as being the same as sewing ... A good welder can can put down some perfect stitches ... but that doesn't mean he can put together a mean set of jeans ... Welding without metallugical and engineering fabricating design experience means zilch ...

Incidentally most bridges have NO welding on them at all ... they are rivetted for safety reasons .... Welds crack and fail when subjected to cyclic loading , expansion and contraction ... vibrations come under cyclic loading ... they destroy things by quickly bringing them to the end of their load cycle life ...

Righto , thanks for that Cactus.

So she's not as strong as it look , I sort of expected that but Im not hitting anything too gnarly on my little honda as its preety much impossible to do so on the stock forks , pegmount and rims without folding the bike. So no Tj Russel riding.

unit_mx give it a go hehe

if you buy and test without ny probs it'll be going on my little 50 build

unit do you hit bmx trails with ur bike? any problems?

unit_mx give it a go hehe

if you buy and test without ny probs it'll be going on my little 50 build

unit do you hit bmx trails with ur bike? any problems?

Sounds good.
Yep Bmx trails are the go on 50s , so much fun. Gonna have to build a wall ride soon , had a go at one on at my cousins trails in his yard at Chrissy on my mso and turned out preety good but that thing was like double the size of my fifty.
Good thing about a crf is that you can hit any trails a 20" can hit or even some north shore shit such as wallrides , hips , tight rythms , steep downies. Cant really do that on a china as they are quite big and a fair bit heavier.

I haven't had a problem yet , I bent my stock fork legs a little on a front wheel case but other than that they go fine.

Sweet. Im looking to build a bike for bmx trails and tracks.Nothing more nothing less haha....

Can ask the price on that?

You can strengthen CRF 50 type frames by welding lugs front and rear and fitting a stainless steel tensioning rod in between them ... Bow style ... Big50.com showed pics on how they do it ... For moderate use you don't need it though ... You can only give an alloy frame a try ...

Here's just one deceased twin spar alloy frame ... that is mysteriously as clean as a whistle ... The "beautiful" looking welds didn't save it from severe spinal trauma ...

BrokenThumpstarframe-1.jpg

Last edited:
dammit 30?

Tell him to give me one. Ill buy it right now.

Ill even give him 50 like motoxxx!

But daym...for 30 bucks...why wouldnt you buy it?

yep hit me up a PM if he's got anymore ok

Im soooo keen

hey motoxxx what are you gona do to your black strengthened frame?

Latest posts

Back