Gears N 1.2.3.4 UP or N 1 Down 2 3 4 UP ??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also consider the ct90/110,step thru's,z50's etc have/had 'one way' box's... hold the lever down between shifts and its a neutral..
just being informative..

'straight box' for china bikes is the best option IMO for the reasons stated previously..
'split box' for the higher quality bikes just seems to work..again for reasons previously mentioned..
I wouldnt want to be riding a gixxer1100 with an all down/up gearbox.. wouldnt feel right, each gear change would have the mind thinking..is THIS a china bike!??!

Guess its also a similar debate when it comes to cars.. why dont we have quick shifters or crash box's(think of rally cars..) fitted from factory!? reliability? ease of use? cost? they HARDLY use the clutch, its just BANG next gear..bang next gear.. bang bang down gears... Or paddle shifters!?

Then the option of clutches would also come in.. Why dont button clutches get fitted to everyday cars..

hmm horse's for course's I guess...
Personal preferance? Ease of use? Compliance!? Manufactor's choice?

Just an opinion, or a spanner in the works... :D

also consider the ct90/110,step thru's,z50's etc have/had 'one way' box's... hold the lever down between shifts and its a neutral..
just being informative..

'straight box' for china bikes is the best option IMO for the reasons stated previously..
'split box' for the higher quality bikes just seems to work..again for reasons previously mentioned..
I wouldnt want to be riding a gixxer1100 with an all down/up gearbox.. wouldnt feel right, each gear change would have the mind thinking..is THIS a china bike!??!

Guess its also a similar debate when it comes to cars.. why dont we have quick shifters or crash box's(think of rally cars..) fitted from factory!? reliability? ease of use? cost? they HARDLY use the clutch, its just BANG next gear..bang next gear.. bang bang down gears... Or paddle shifters!?

Then the option of clutches would also come in.. Why dont button clutches get fitted to everyday cars..

hmm horse's for course's I guess...
Personal preferance? Ease of use? Compliance!? Manufactor's choice?

Just an opinion, or a spanner in the works... :D

I agree with you Speed ....

but in the context of this thread I think it's a bit of a red herring .... as this thread was posted by a guy who's building pitbikes I reckon his gear pattern question refers to pit bikes only ... so even though big bikes run a
1n2345 gearbox I don't see how it relates to the question .

after all this guy is building pitbikes ... so when he posts a gear pattern question on a pit bike forum I think it's safe to assume his question is referring to pitbike gearbox
patterns alone .... as the choice of all up or 1n234 doesn't really raise it's head anywhere else but the pitbike scene .... therefore in the context of his question the answer is all up gearboxes are better in pitbikes ... I think we have established that ...and I think that's what he was asking .

So yeah while I agree with what's been said about big bikes I don't think it's got anything to do with the question .....and yeah JMO:cool:

why

your right dread, so what the bloke asked a question, and everyone gets on the bandwagon just to increase there post total and have a go, dont we want numbers here, not everyone is a pro on all things pitbike, whats the use if you get attacked for what may seem a silly misunderstanding or question, go with your personal preferance mate, as long as your happy, who cares really. wow im nearly on 100 posts, might watch this thread more.

Last edited:
I prefer all up.
The 125's we have ran, have developed false N and jumping gears.
This is accross lifan and ducars. Shaving the selector star somewhat healed the problems, but still occured.
140cc shift drums and stars in 1up's are much beefier, and who seriously cares if 1d 3up 'feels' like your riding a bigger 'real' bike, are you kidding me? lol.

It's great to hear the true facts backed up by people like creole ... You only need to do searches on the subject in the various forums ... or better still email sellers who've sold heaps of bikes such as Motovert , DHZ , Pit pro or Pitster USA to get told the facts ...

The guy came to us for good sound advice ... maybe he should get 50/50 in both patterns to find out the hard way what other sellers already know ... and cop all the abuse , complaints and warranty returns from pissed off buyers ...

I say.......drum roll please, all up :rolleyes:
Also makes it easier when you stat a wheelie in first and want to change to second you don't have to woory about hiiting false neutral:D

The MAJOR factor that destroys ANY transmission is BACKLASH/PLAY ... The ridiculous over elongated slots in 3rd can easily cause enough impact to break the weak dogs off second gear ... turning it into a second neutral ... and that's just by looking at them ... I've never actually seen one broken but I'm sure others would have ... So what gears fail the most ? 2nd and third ? ...

Here's a chance for people who've trashed a tranny to elaborate on WHAT actually fails in which engine ...

i had a lifan 140 and stripped the 3rd gear...

i wasnt even riding hard at the time changed from 2nd to 3rd and cruising along mid 3rd revs still building my revs slowly and it simply felt like it dropped into neutral

I've never had a problem with the tranny on my 140, come to think aobut it motorwise my bikes is bloody good condition shame I'm about to sell it.Eh I need the money

Latest posts

Back