Gpx160 motor/clutch help... Engine oil gone.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimini

Reaction score
Hey,
i have a pitster pro lr with the gpx 160 engine and keihin carby etc...
Came home from riding with mate and that. Changed the oil the next day took the drain plug out, no oil came out, so i stuck something up the hole to see whats the problem an the oil had set like a gueey glue type. And only like 100-150ml of oil came out , when there should be nearly a litre or soo. It had oil and i change oil every 4-5 hours or even earlier.
The oil came out like little graniels in oil , it wasnt sand i dont think, and i used a magnet to see if it metal and didnt stick to magnet.
So i flushed the engine out with fuel, drained that put new oil in it , let run for a few minutes and then i drained that. And put new oil in again, and the graniel type stuff was pretty much gone, but i took the clutch cover off cause sounded abit rough when idleing and mate said the clutch was slipping when he was riding it,

nothing seems to be wrong with the clutch and i cant see anything broken or no burning smell.
I use torco oil in all my bikes...
Can anyone know what the problem would be and where all the oil would be besides the bike burning it all, cause its a fair bit gone, and there is no leaks etc...

Much help[ be appreciated, i asked a mate but he doesnt really know here all the oil gone etc... And ive always been told if a bike dont use oil then not running good, but haha this a alot of oil gone,
the oil was like it had been cooked and then set to gluee.
Cheers...

well 2 things come to mind when you get granule type things in the oil..
1. engine is way to rich and fuel actually ends up in the oil and carbonizing.
2. the clutch has been slipping a bit and clutch fibre is contaminating the oil..

you also mention the engines a fair bit gone... old engines use oil!! how much smoke does it blow?

also wats the grade and specs on the oil you use?

so you pulled the clutch cover off? did any more oil seem to come out because the oil filter screen above the sump bolt can block up with crap..

well 2 things come to mind when you get granule type things in the oil..
1. engine is way to rich and fuel actually ends up in the oil and carbonizing.
2. the clutch has been slipping a bit and clutch fibre is contaminating the oil..

you also mention the engines a fair bit gone... old engines use oil!! how much smoke does it blow?

also wats the grade and specs on the oil you use?

so you pulled the clutch cover off? did any more oil seem to come out because the oil filter screen above the sump bolt can block up with crap..

OHH, so you think the fuel is too rich, i used a different fuel mixture, i always run 98 high octane, but i put octane boost in aswell.

what you mean by number 2, you think bits of clutch plates the fibre has broken off etc...
narh the engine is pretty new actually, my mate raced it few times then thats it,
i use torco i think its just 15/40 or whatever it is, its been really good oil, and is supposed to be one of the best for 4stroke bikes.
narh cause i flushed it out with petrol to get all the crap out of it no more oil came out, but cause i need a new clutch cover gasket, i put a plastic bag so no crap can get in clutch etc... and when checked in morning a bit of oil has leaked , but im guessing thats just from the head etc... do you think be worth to pull the clutch off and check it, as i dont know much about the 160 motors lol. so what do you haveto do to get the clutch off...

HERES A PHOTO FROM THE OTHER DAY AND WHAT THE OIL WAS LIKE...
photo-1.jpg

I would use kero next time you flush the bike out. Works great.

I have also heard bad things about so called octane booster in minibikes. Not what it's designed for and would give you next to no extra performance. Also found 95 Octane fuel seems to work just as well as 98. Some of the 98's have car cleaning additives added which aren't good for bikes.

awk yeah im not running it anymore, do you think thats what would of caused that to happy to oil ???

awk yeah im not running it anymore, do you think thats what would of caused that to happy to oil ???

Hard to say. I think checking Sean's suggestions would be the first step. I'm only speculating.

It almost looks like metal fillings in the oil?

You need a clutch nut tool to remove the clutch as well. Classic Honda 50's have them.

awk, yeah thats what i thought it was but didnt stick to the magnet, i will pull clutch off and see what its like.
will i need t take the plates etc.. out of the clutch basket ?

awk, yeah thats what i thought it was but didnt stick to the magnet, i will pull clutch off and see what its like.
will i need t take the plates etc.. out of the clutch basket ?

ive been getting a fair bit of that stuff lately when dropping oil

but when you feel the bits they feel like hard rubber??

and you will want take your plates out to inspect them i have a feeling mine are pretty crapped up too but i give my clutch a good work out hehe

yeah it does feel like rubber and look, like its not magnetic so yeah,
i will pull clutch off and have a look. what motor you running pbk ?

on the bike its says 160r, so i think i have the gpx 155z in it same as you...

not sure why anyone would use octane booster with 98 fuel, its already above spec and its not like you need it.. definitely not needed.. i run 12.1:1 comp in my 160 and it runs perfect on 98 pump..

if it feels like rubber then it could be the dampeners in the clutch basket starting to deteriorate, but it could also be clutch plate fiber from slipping

also is this torco oil a mineral based oil?

another thing to look at is the crank case breather tube.. see if theres signs of it having a spew of oil..

Yeah ha idk just wanted get the octane up to 101 so pretty much same as racing fuel.
Awk I will have to check and see what it is.
Um I'm not sure. I will have to look at the bottle.
Yeah okay. Thanks mate. Helps heaps. Not to familiar with china motors been playing wiyh Honda too much haha

Yep i got the same rubbery goodness in the first oil change or 2 on the Z155.... duno what the hell it was but i ignored it lol ... and it went strong for another 25+ hours , clutch never slipped etc.

Yeah ha idk just wanted get the octane up to 101 so pretty much same as racing fuel.

i do avaition and wat iv learnt it theres a certain octane an engine can handle, the octane means the different temps the fuel BURNS rather then explodes (aka detonation) now if the octane is too high all of the fuel wont get burnt and if the octane is too low then it will detonate causing serious problems in the engine...

now im not familiar with the octane ratings for the bikes if ur already runnin 98 then there is DEFONATLY NO NEED to thro this so called octane booster crap in it, i run 95 in my bike and it runs smoother then any genuine bike ive ever got on

thats my advice do with it as you please
and i hope i shed a lil light on ur problem

i do avaition and wat iv learnt it theres a certain octane an engine can handle, the octane means the different temps the fuel BURNS rather then explodes (aka detonation) now if the octane is too high all of the fuel wont get burnt and if the octane is too low then it will detonate causing serious problems in the engine...

now im not familiar with the octane ratings for the bikes if ur already runnin 98 then there is DEFONATLY NO NEED to thro this so called octane booster crap in it, i run 95 in my bike and it runs smoother then any genuine bike ive ever got on

thats my advice do with it as you please
and i hope i shed a lil light on ur problem

hey mate, yeah thanks for your info, all makes sense, i dont know why i tried it but yeah most guys are using race fuel on the 88 so i put it in my 88 and also the lxr.
didnt do anything to my 88, but yeah, and sean, it says 1ml to one litre, and yeah thats all i put in, but i dont think il use it anymore, il just stick to the 98 high octane fuel...

but i dont think il use it anymore, il just stick to the 98 high octane fuel...

yea i think it would be in the bikes best intrest to use 98, even that would b a lil high but that will do... + you would be savin money not buyin that octane booster stuff anyway

gald i could help

Latest posts

Back