Help, I was a bit rushed!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fane

Reaction score
ok so i bought 2x DHZ 160s not that long ago - a few months and we have been riding them - smashing them etc etc and they are going good

recently i decided to check the valve clearances and tonight i actually did it but i got a bit anxious to see the results (it was shit to start before and didnt idle well until warm) so like i said i was a bit anxious to see the results and rushed doing up the last bolt and did it up a bit tight

i kicked the bike over and bam kicked first go and idled perfectly so in my head im thinking great success but i noticed some oil coming out of the bottom valve cover and i touched the bolt i did up a bit tight and it fell out

YEP I SNAPPED OFF A BOLT

now i must say first of all - where should i get new bolts that are STRONGER coz i didnt do it up that tight

next thing is - how do i get the little bastard out? is there any tricks? i cant seem to get a grip on it with pliers so what are my options?

so all in all i learnt alot and the bike definately runs better but i gotta get this bolt out and replace it with a stronger one (while im at it ill replace the others)

any tips guys? this is my first moto ever so dont know any tricks of the trade yet

ps. here is a photo

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 102
Best Tip from a SnItChY Tip sheet

EASY OUTS go to a nut and bolt shop near you and ask for easy outs , take the good bolt with you and ask for same bolt , but in high tensile , don't really matter on a tappet cover tho , they only need to be snug

while your there ask for some lock tight , read the forums , this issue has happened to many a member

search is your friend

I find heating the alloy and NOT the bolt with a small blowtorch will help loosen it.... then use a smallish drillbit in reverse to wind the bolt out.... might help to drill into the bolt a little bit first before switching to reverse... by small I don't mean tiny, common sense use a drillbit big enuff that it wont just snap

I hate easy outs on small bolts like this they always snap and just make it harder to get out....
like snitchy said you don't need to do up the bolts tight, just snug, the alloy head holds bolts well and is very easy to overtighten

yeah ezy out will be best here as i doubt that the snapped part is tight...

but if you have a set of reverse twist drills(which i doubt) you can drill the thread with that, works a charm cause as your drilling the drill bit is actually going the same direction as undoing the thread..

another thing that may help is a brand new set of small vice grips with nice sharp edges to bite the little bit of thread.

in future just remember that these bolts (nor any on the bike) dont need to be swung off like your doing up a mack trucks wheel nuts...
use the shortest spanner you can find and do it up with on hand and dont jerk on it..

also, wat is that abortion on your exhaust studs, buy some exhaust stud nuts while your at the bolt shop..

if you go high tensile you can chew out the thread instead of snapping the bolt so be careful when tightening, as stated already just needs to be nipped up

it looks like you have just enough bolt still there to put a cross slot on it so you can just undo it with a small screwdriver. Just get a hacksaw and cut across the bolt putting a slot into it then hey presto it will unscrew with a flat blade screwdriver. Thats how Boxy would do it and he is the king of fixing stuff like that.

You can also try cutting across middle with hacksaw and then use a large flat screwdriver to screw out,you do need to tidy up the end before cutting if you have enough bolt.other than that go the ezy out

Sorry, Sixeven you must of done the same mechanics course as me

nice guys all sweet ideas and advice ill give that shitt a go

and thats what came on the bike on the exhaust when i got it - what kinda nuts am i looking for for exhaust nuts

either proper exhaust nuts(they have like a press stamped edge so they bite the thread) or hi temp nyloc's

interesting - ill take one of them with me aswell

cheers

ok update time

when i get home its pretty dark and i have less than adequate lighting in the garage so my drill hole in the bolt using the easy out was a little on the piss - as a result it doesnt work - i think the easyout i have is shite aswell coz it doesnt bite and it takes of shavings of the inside of the bolt instead of biting and gripping and turning the bolt

so in an attempt to rebore the drill hole a bit i snapped the drill bit off in the broke bolt hahaha so now it looks like im boned

do i have anymore options? what do you guys suggest? i take it that exhaust will come and leak out of there if its not sealed real good and also there is oil that smashes around in there from what i have noticed so im guessing it needs to be sealed alot better than 1 bolt at the top

if i can get the broke drillbit out i have contemplated getting a screw and screwing it into the hole i create in the bolt

i feel like im up shit creek haha

on the upside my valve clearances are perfect :)

If you can get the drill bit out tap out the hole you made get a bolt the same thread pitch. Red locktite the bartstard, wait for it to dry and you should be able to twist it out..

Or

Heat up around the bolt and try to spin it out. Maybe with a flathead screw driver.

ive done the same thing, snaped a drill bit inside a snapped bolt in the motor. its impossible to drill a drill bit, i took it to a local thread restorer and he somehow got it out and put a helicoil in it. cost $40

well - it took like 3hrs and lots of tools broken but i drilled a new whole and then screwed a new bolt in - its not pretty but it works

i have pretty much conceded that i will replace that part of the motor at some point - how big of a job is to get an upgraded head and bung it on

on a sidenote when i got the bike upside down i noticed that i have cracked 2 of the woelds of the cradle that holds the engine - so it might be time for a new frame (better frame) aswell

Latest posts

Back