Help with a Solenoid

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSV_Hunny04

Reaction score
Hey i have a 250cc setting up the electric start and now it has come down to the Solenoid just wondering if any one can tell me when i have the power hooked to it and then to the battery and the positive hooked from the frame to the battery and the kill and started switch hooked up and earthed on the handle bars it wont turn over but when u short circuit the solenoid it will kick the starter motor over just wondering if you think my solenoid is buggered or is there something i am not hooking up right
Please help me

pics may help someone work it out easier.
you also need to use some better punctuation, your post was pretty hard to read.
just one big sentence.

a solenoid usually has 2x large terminals/posts, and 2x smaller ones.
one lead goes from the battery positive to one large terminal/post on the solenoid.
the big lead from the starter motor, connects to the other large terminal/post on the opposite side of the solenoid (opposite side the the battery lead you just fitted).
a decent earth wire should be connected to the frame, make sure it is on bare metal.
the other end of this earth wire goes to one side of the smaller terminal/posts on the solenoid.
then all you need is a switched positive wire, comining off from your starter switch, and that then runs to the remaining terminal on the solenoid.

hope i have explained it well enough.

pics may help someone work it out easier.
you also need to use some better punctuation, your post was pretty hard to read.
just one big sentence.

a solenoid usually has 2x large terminals/posts, and 2x smaller ones.
one lead goes from the battery positive to one large terminal/post on the solenoid.
the big lead from the starter motor, connects to the other large terminal/post on the opposite side of the solenoid (opposite side the the battery lead you just fitted).
a decent earth wire should be connected to the frame, make sure it is on bare metal.
the other end of this earth wire goes to one side of the smaller terminal/posts on the solenoid.
then all you need is a switched positive wire, comining off from your starter switch, and that then runs to the remaining terminal on the solenoid.

hope i have explained it well enough.

bingo..

the 2 wire plug coming out of the solenoid is for switched power... if you want to bypass this you can..
on the 2 large terminals on the solenoid you can run a wire from each to a heavy duty starter button..
make sure you use large gauge wire and a starter button that can handle about 30/40 amps

Latest posts

Back