how long air filters last?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coop88

Reaction score
how long you reckon your air filters last on average? does the actual foam end up getting wrecked?

one of my filters separated where the foam joins the rubber part but i just super glued it back together and its been fine ever since. is there a special glue you can get for that sort of thing?

What sort of filter is it ?

All my uni filters have been great never had issues with separation .... they will last as long as you want it to take good care clean it properly and re-oil after you go for a day on the track and don't over tighten it as it can cut the rubber mounting flange .

Some ppl have had a bad run with TB filters separating due to factory fault ...

Sounds like a China filter nick, any fuel from a leaky fuel tap will help it separate, like nick said only use soapy water to clean and dry with a rag then apply some heat from ya mums/misuses hair dryer for a quick dry and keep it oiled up to prevent a new piston and rings and a barrel replacement regularly.

I've actually found a trick with uni filters, we all know how they don't have that little lip on them so they like to slip off, there for they get over tightened and the rubber cracks. When buying a uni filter get the next size up and when tightening the clamp the rubber then grips the carb better and have never had one slip or crack since doing this.

Been using the stock crf50 one for 2 years now. No issues. Chinas must be sensative

Chinas are special and not in the good way haha, my uni is years old and still strong.

Ill stick to my uni filter thanks used them for as long as I can remember no problems

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

i've broken afew uni filters but last 2 have lasted ages, proberly about a year and 9 months with the green one and red ones almost a year

broke cheap stock black ones in a ride and tb filters separated from the rubber. the smaller one the spring wore a hole through it.

i've broken afew uni filters but last 2 have lasted ages, proberly about a year and 9 months with the green one and red ones almost a year

broke cheap stock black ones in a ride and tb filters separated from the rubber. the smaller one the spring wore a hole through it.
sounds like you had a bad run with air filters

Yeah my stock china separated in a week haha. I'm getting uni filters from now on. I didn't think hair drying them would be good ay? I hang mine in the sun for a good few hours

i'm not sure what sort of glue is used in the chinese ones (which will determine what sort of cleaning solvent you can use, or if its really crap it's going to fall apart anyway) but I use mineral terps to clean filter. It doesn't expand the foam, nor should it dissolve the glue. Petrol will
I find detergent and water to do bugger all and leaves half the old dirt/oil in the filter

I think the biggest thing is to be careful when squeezing oil around the seams, try not to put much force on them

My stock china, seperated on it's first removal (as they don't come with oil on them out of the box...) and about 1 month ago i stuffed my fist unifilter (its lasted a bit over a year) and i stuffed it by spliting it from over tightening it. As for cleaning it i used petrol then detergent, seemed to work a treat :)

the black china ones worked perfect on my stock 125 motovert days. only problem was over time the boots wore away the end of them. but now days they dont last long with the bigger carbies. they seem to be different quality now?

Cleaned the mini jeep today and guess what the stock china 35mm filter fell off in my hand so its carby clean time and then a uni and an outerware cover for these expeditions to the rainforest.

i wash my filters in water and wd 40 somtimes degreaser but i dont like using harsh chemicals.... had mine for 4 yrs
my uni filter that is... the other ones i pretty much threw out like my knock off uni style filter... threw it out because the glue came unstuck on the manifold part to the filter material

Latest posts

Back