how long till we see the fall of the jap bikes?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.Bmini_nut

Reaction score
lately my Dad has been going on about how in the next few coming years we are likely to see a repeat of what the japanese did to the british bike industry however this time it will be the chinese taking over. With a company such as puzey now manufacturing 300cc liquid cooled enduro and motorcross bikes, 500cc aircooled enduro and motard bikes its only a matter of time before these become a dominant force in the off road and on road scene :hmmm:
Puzey - XTR 4

anyone else agree with this?
YouTube - PUZEY XTR Roof Time trial short m

YouTube - PUZEY XTR Roof Houses m

and yes i am aware puzey's are designed in south africa.

Last edited:
I'd like to see it happen. But don't think it will. The world is a lot different now.

give it time i think, when the japanese motorcycles first came on the scene they were seen as "riceburners" "hunk of junk" etc etc..... now look at them!
if the quality control within the chinese bike manufacturering plants was stepped up a notch it would make a massive improvement

Yeah they could come in to the playing field but they won't take over. There is more people in the world now, many many many more people. Plus a lot more money. There is always room now a days for more brands, when back in the day there wasn't room for this many brands.

i reckon pitster pro could be quite competitive amongst the 65 and 85 2 stroke motorcross bikes if they wanted to

i reckon pitster pro could be quite competitive amongst the 65 and 85 2 stroke motorcross bikes if they wanted to

i reckon they would be. i've seen a 110 they built in america for the 65 class i think
pretty much the same as the lxr just smaller and 110 i think

i cant see it happening... chinese bikes have too much of a bad name already..

yeah sure if you got the coin china will build you a 1:1 (build and quality) jap spec bike but no one will want to pay for it because its chinese and its a copy..

take the chinese engines.. lol there are no decent ones because all they've done is copy japan..so the quality isnt the best which trades off performance and puts them further down the line in terms of this subject..

jap manufacturer names have spent decades building there name and quality up...
china goes 2 steps backwards then 1 step forward...

those bikes in the video's above sound and perform like rubbish.. well when compared to a jap bike anyways..

pitster pro have a range of xtr bikes too...

i could add a lot more to this but really i think its a waste of time...

China can build high quality equipment if they're paid the right money ... Apparently they've even got a Stealth bomber ...

They'll only build things to the quality that profiteering Western businessmen are prepared to pay them ... Jap bikes used to be crap too with crunching trannies , lack of power , unreliable etc etc ... I saw most of their failed bikes that have fallen by the wayside ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/acKWTPZ4iT0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OZVSlKKrkhA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cJgmMhLBDxM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bUguGCQih8U" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

more often than not, it comes down to the owner to maintain the bikes performance and reliability.
too many people by a chinese bike with the mindset thats its going to be crap and then they never do any maintenance on them and then ask "why does it blow smoke" and usually these people, have never changed the oil, never cleaned the air filter and also failed to run it in properly.
after all they are only machines

lol china bikes will never take the place of jap bikes.... Taiwanese bikes now there may be some danger there

I think it could happen....look at at what the korean car manufacturer hyundai has done in the last decade. The excel flooded the car market due to cheap price ($11,000) and everyone said they were junk cars and hyundai will always be crap....now look at the hyundai i30, costs $22,000 which is the same as a jap small car and they're one of the best selling small cars in Australia.

We'll have to wait and see how the chinese "Great Wall" vehicles go...probably be a good indication for how the motorcycle market will go.

We can all thank the chinese bikes for lowering the price of a crf50....they used to have a rrp of $2500 now you can get them on special for $1500....thats purely to compete with the chinese minibikes which crippled their sales a few years back.

Last edited:
I have been saying it for yrs , watch out , there still yrs off but look at today and then remember back just 3 yrs ago , how times have changed yet the price is still very competitive

i still there there large bike market it crap , but its 10 fold on what they were 2 yrs ago even

personally i think its great , it puts the real money down on the jap bikes

gets more ppl involved which in turn creates a larger market with a bigger voice , dedicated R/V parks will be here soon , accessible to your city dwelling motocross fan
we can only hope

I think it could happen....look at at what the korean car manufacturer hyundai has done in the last decade. The excel flooded the car market due to cheap price ($11,000) and everyone said they were junk cars and hyundai will always be crap....now look at the hyundai i30, costs $22,000 which is the same as a jap small car and they're one of the best selling small cars in Australia.

We'll have to wait and see how the chinese "Great Wall" vehicles go...probably be a good indication for how the motorcycle market will go.

We can all thank the chinese bikes for lowering the price of a crf50....they used to have a rrp of $2500 now you can get them on special for $1500....thats purely to compete with the chinese minibikes which crippled their sales a few years back.

so true,
hyundai even have a car competing in pikes peak:banana:

Yer ther is a reason why they are cheep think about it , I think some 1 o. This site was saying that the had 1 of the grate wall things and they bent the chassis . I wouldent pay 22g for a chinease great wall wen u can get a 2nd hand lux for cheaper , they will be hard to get parts for like china bikes were back in the day and they won't last along . Hyandi excels are gutless my cusen had 1 and to do a hill start he would turn the air con off to give it enfough power lol. O well that's my rant if it makes sense ahah

I don't think the jap market will ever really be totaly wiped out. But i think that they will lose lots of mass buying which they once had. But then again quality has always been an issue for chinese bikes.

And one more problem for the japs is that your avarage joe just wants something cheap to hoon around in.

give it a couple years and there will be some chinese motorcrossers at your local track right alongside the japs

of course china bikes will take over, china just copies everyone else EXACTLY PART FOR PART
but make it cheaper so soon you will be buying a yahama which would be a yamaha made $1000.00 cheaper but the same quality

:confused-smiley-013

soon the jap bikes might have to drop there prices or close up shop? who knows?

After owning a few Chinese bikes both full size and minis aswell as jap bikes, keeping a rigorous upkeep on every bike i have owned i still say the japs are in a different league. Everything from visible improvements (what Chinese copies are usually based on) to things that cannot be seen with the naked or untrained eye such as tolerances or welds.

From a Manufacturing engineers point of view the Chinese designers and manufacturers still have a LONG way to go before they can be considered in a force to be reckoned with in the motocross market.

Latest posts

Back