How to make a tail light mount

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam93

VIC MR Ride Day Organiser
Reaction score
For those that want to ride at night on there land or for rec reg here is a tutt showing how to make a rear tail light mount that
will be strong enough and pretty easy to make...

What you will need is:
.Metal or alloy prefferably 1-2mm thick.
.Hacksaw or grinder
.Drill
.Flat file or grinder
.Paint if desired
.Hammer
.Vice or hard edged table.
.Tail light

Steps:
1. Buy your tail light (here is the one i purchased: 15 LED Red Brake Tail Light For Quad, ATV, Motorcycle (eBay item 270636789666 end time 17-Nov-10 15:15:31 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
2. Get your peice of Metal or Alloy and place the light at the bottom of the piece then make the material as wide as the light is.
3. Cut the meterial as wide as the light.
4. Place light on against and mark around the light with a pencil.
5. File down or grind around where you marked just to make it a bit cleaner looking.
6. Mark a line above the top of the light by 5mm.
7. Grab a hammer and get banging the easiest way is with a vice (you get a cleaner bend) and make a 90 degree bend on the line or place
it over a really hard surface and hold it down hard and do the same you would with the vice.
8. File edges to get rid of sharp edges.
9. Paint it if you wish with a self etching primer to start with then finish off with whatever colour you want.
10. place light on again mark where the screws have to go to mount it.
11. Drill holes.
12. Drill holes on the top bend that is going to be fixed to your rear mud guard drill holes 3mm and 50mm apart.
13. Place mount undearneath rear mud guard and mark where the holes have to go and drill at 3mm again.
14. fix mount to rear guard by rivet.
15. Mount light.
16. Your done simple mount that took a whole 5 minutes to make and is strong enough that it will last and probably cost you shit all.

Sorry I didnt take many photos i forgot when i was doing it and i dont have a bike to fix it on as i sold mine to make way for a new one but im sure the instructions were enough, once i get
my new bike i will take more photos of it on the bike so that people can understand better.

Pictures:
IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

To wire it there are 3 wires, not sure why it needs 3 as when i played with it if you connect the blue and green wires all lights light up and the yellow didnt do squat?
But basically green to positive blue to negetive. They run 12v and are super bright. I tested it with just a 9.7v 750ma battery and it was heaps bright.

Cheers,
Sam93.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a mod could please change this tittle to: How to make a tail light mount.

That would be really appreiciated, bit tired i think.

Thanks.

Now how do you wire the light in and make it work properly(eg. light up when brake is applied)

nice work, but i think a little more playing around would help us out. since there is 3 wires id assume that maybe one is for the brake switch or something. for rec rego it needs to work properly as a brake light. i am looking at doing this, once i get some money to fund it.

yeah most of the cheaper china front brake masters have a provision for a micro switch..

3 wires.. id say its actually a stop and tail light

i just ordered one of those rear brake switches once i have it ill edit it all up.

Latest posts

Back