How To Remove Swingarm Bearings!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddy_110

Reaction score
iam replacing current bearing and have new ones although have hammered away the old corroded bearing balls etc but cant seem to get the last little silver ring thing out which is closest to the edge.
Please view pics!!
DSC00688.jpg

buy a new swingarm .... but i dunno i hate pain in the ass things like that!!!! so annoying

get a socket thats small enough to fit in but not smaller than the bearing and give it a belt or a big arse drill bit???

2 ways to beat this.

1. use a pin punch from the other side, knocking it out evenly.
2. Get a "Dremel" with a small cutting disc and cut the race in two places and the knock it it wih a pin punch from the other side.

but the easiest would be heat it up with a blow torch then use a punch and a hammer to get it out ...

heat expands metal

The last two guys said it all ... :cool: ... Heat makes it easier to get out (even dipping the end in boiling hot water will help loosen it up if you haven't got a heat torch ... or you can use a candle , paint stripper gun or your sista's hair dryer ... :p ) ... and carefully cutting two spots in the bearing with a dremel to allow a pin punch , chisel or screw driver a place to catch is excellent advice ...

Last edited:
Heating with a blow torch, come on guys....................we are dealing with an alloy swing arm & a Steel bearing race, two different material properties, which disapate heat at different temps.

Heating the steel bearing race would infact make it expand, which would only make it harder to remove!

Heating the alloy swing arm is just silly and should be avoided at all cost's.

In my opinion, if you cant remove it with a pin punch and a hammer, then the only way is to cut it out and a dremely is the only tool small enough that could do it.

We're not talking about over heating it ... just carefully heating the swingarm up enough so that the alloy expands and relaxes its grip on the steel outer bearing race ... Aluminium expands at a greater rate than steel ... the denser the alloy , the greater the expansion rate ...

It's done all the time as standard fitting and machining practice ... ie bearings and wheels onto freight car axles , new iron or steel sleeves into alloy cylinders , new valve seats into alloy heads ... If you warmed the swingarm up then cooled the bearing with liquid nitrogen it'd FALL out of it ... :p

Your dremel idea is good IF the person on the end of the grinder is experienced and has a steady hand ... But I can envision people slipping and chopping into the alloy of the swingarm ... :p

I've removed plenty of bearings that way myself ... In fact I remove bearings off car axles at home by grinding two flats on the outer race 180 degrees apart with a 125 mm angle grinder then tapping it with a hammer ... the outer neatly cracks into two halves ... Then I do the same with the inner ... hold the wheel flat on it until it gets thin and turns blue ... then a light tap with a chisel and it's off , leaving the axle perfectly intact ... I fit new bearings and the retainer rings using only an offset steel vise and gently use the axle itself as a slide hammer ... And it only takes about 20 minutes per side ... You have to be able to work out on site without presses or any other fancy equipment more often than not ... and the job has to be done properly and safely by hand ... or you can be sacked or sued ... hence where the word "fitter" originates ...

Fitters correct machinists , engineers and draughtsmens f'ck ups ... and make sure that the finished product works reliably ... fitter/machinists avoid stuffing up in the first place ... a mechanic is a low grade fitter ... There are some good mechanics who understand fitting and machining ... They're the ones who meticulously measure all parts with verniers and mics to ensure that the tolerances are correct and will function reliably ...

Have the same problem, cant get mine out tried with a screw driver and hammer dosent come out arggghh!

Have the same problem, cant get mine out tried with a screw driver and hammer dosent come out arggghh!

have you got a socket that will fit in there and grab the sleve?
hitting it with even force on all edges is the key to getting it out

have you got a socket that will fit in there and grab the sleve?
hitting it with even force on all edges is the key to getting it out

You can only hit it outwards, and from the inside as you can see you cant hit the edges of it which would be easier you can see the diameter of the holw is small then big, i couldnt find a socket that fits ive been trying to think of ways to do it have no clue though

Thanks ill think about it, might get a set since its a pain in the ass to take it out

if you have a long bolt or piece of threaded rod about 300mm-500mm long.
(Bunnings sell a 10mm threaded rod approx 500mm long for about $6)
you can slip that inside the bearing/bush from them outside of the swing arm, and put a couple of thick washers and nuts on the inside end of the thread.
p.s. make sure the washer can fit inside the swingarm.
then on the outside section of the swingarm, slide an old hammer head or 3lb mallet head over the thread, then add a couple of thick, large o/d washers and a couple of nuts to stop the hammer head comming off the end of the thread.

you now have a makeshift slide hammer,
slide the hammer head down towards the swingarm, then hold the hammerhead, and quickly slide it to the washers/nut end near you, at the end it will hit on the washers and stop.....
watch you don't pinch your fingers when it hits the end.
a few hard whacks with the hammer head should pop the bearing/bush out.

Last edited:
if you have a long bolt or piece of threaded rod about 300mm-500mm long.
(Bunnings sell a 10mm threaded rod approx 500mm long for about $6)
you can slip that inside the bearing/bush from them outside of the swing arm, and put a couple of thick washers and nuts on the inside end of the thread.
p.s. make sure the washer can fit inside the swingarm.
then on the outside section of the swingarm, slide an old hammer head or 3lb mallet head over the thread, then add a couple of thick, large o/d washers and a couple of nuts to stop the hammer head comming off the end of the thread.

you now have a makeshift slide hammer,
slide the hammer head down towards the swingarm, then hold the hammerhead, and quickly slide it to the washers/nut end near you, at the end it will hit on the washers and stop.....
watch you don't pinch your fingers when it hits the end.
a few hard whacks with the hammer head should pop the bearing/bush out.
I like that idea :) However that would only work if you already had one side out? Would it not?
Edit: I like the bit in bold too, the first time i used my slid hammer it left me with a big ol welt/blister on the palm of my hand...they bite bloody hard.

Latest posts

Back