How would you spend $1000?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KtmJono_777

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls and others.. In the next few months I'm going to drop some coin on my yx160 motor. So far its bone stock apart from a PE28 Carby. I think I'll have a budget of around 1k, give or take depending if a certain mod costs just that little bit more.

From reading posts and looking at what I can buy I was thinking of going a V2 head and getting a auto decomp cam installed.. Maybe a Takegawa or something. I'm looking for more low and mid power over just flat out WOT power, although if that increases proportionally bring it on.

My question is, what would you do with $1000 to improve a yx160? Could I spend less and get good results, or should I spend more? I really don't want to be boring cases or anything like that, I'm after plug and play so I can do it all myself.

Thanks for reading!

If you want low end forget the v2. If you want wot excitement go the v2. They really bring the 160 alive. They are all revs and lots of wheel spin and fun. If i was you I would also upgrade the clutch. I like the pwk28 carbie. makes them very snappy

Hmm interesting. Even tho I'm after low end I like the sound of lots of revs and wheel spin! I have just purchased the PE and should get to use it in a few weeks time hopefully. If I'm not happy I'll sell it and try the pwk. If the v2 won't help low end what will? Maybe I should look at improving throttle performance with flywheel/rotor kits and timing advances along with the V2 and that might help?

CHat to Terry aka THE_GDFP from Firepower minis, he does an awesome job and he would have just the thing for an awesome price, he has helped me out many a time!

PE will have better response down low. Every time. Stronger signal across the wider slide.

If you have the smaller YX outer rotor, it already has too much advance, likely. Lifan kit has a better curve.

Displacement for torque! TB 184, with skirt, is a bolt-on. Leave the base gasket out and use a light coat of Yamabond/Threebond to get the compression up a tad. With stock head, you can advance the cam, or swap to a little smaller grind like the TB for V1.

V2 head will not hurt low end, as long as you don't use the wrong cam. A Tak decomp cam in the 15 or 20 grind on a 160/184 will be snappy as. I run V2 with the 15 on a 125cc Quad, with a little floor-fill, and it rips from bottom to top. Even the 25, on a 184, if you like a little more up top. NOT the 35, as it knocks a big hole in the low end. Add the Tak rockers to save intake valves, if using the 25. Allows another 800-1000 revs before float.

If that don't work, I can send a 66mm jug & slug, 63mm stroker and a set of bored and clearanced cases. If 215cc in a mini don't tickle yer pickle, not much will.

just thinking about 215 in a 10" got my pickle shooting out all its vinegar..lol...... good info from the GDFP....

If you want low end forget the v2. If you want wot excitement go the v2. They really bring the 160 alive. They are all revs and lots of wheel spin and fun. If i was you I would also upgrade the clutch. I like the pwk28 carbie. makes them very snappy

ive warned you once about talking rubbish about the v2 head. the power delivery is depandant on cam profile installed and has nothing to do with the v2 head! saying that.... a stock cam wont deliver the necessary velocity of the intake charge due to its lift and duration,(lack of) Now a cam with a high rise/run ramp profile on initial opening will fill the intake charge with a mixture with high velocity...include a early closing and we built mid cylinder pressure..... but time the igniter right and we have grunt. the long intake manifolds help this as well..infact this goes hand in hand.

so get a v2 as they are more refined that stock and pick your cam for power delivery and not for wot high rpm wheel spin rubbish!!!

Lots of options there. The V2 with Tak decomp 25 and rockers sound good. Does the V2 include a 184 BBK or is that another thing to add? Mmmmm 215cc sounds awesome too. Can you give me ball park figures for those options? Would 1k cover either option? PM me if you wish.. Also have you got my last couple of emails Terry? Or just been busy? Thanks for the info, got me excited now.

Still waiting on the darn shock. Sorry. Will source soon, or refund.

184 is separate from V2. You'll squeeze the budget, but can make it, depending on options.

Port stock head $125

184 kit $179
V2 head $325
Tak cam $200
Adapter $60
Rockers $130
Manifold $56

66mm big bore $300
63mm crank $200
Machined cases $175

etc...

Nice. I reckon I'll do the following option:
184 kit $179
V2 head $325
Tak cam $200
Adapter $60
Rockers $130
Manifold $56

If (or when), I want more I can ad the 215cc setup. Perfect. I'll be onto this in a few months when Christmas/NY is out of the way.. oh yeah and when I get my pay rise too haha. Thanks a bunch Terry.

Umm with my shock I don't really want to get a refund, but if its going to be weeks and weeks away maybe I'll have to. The 'zero dampening' featured pogo stick excuse for a shock I have makes me feel like a clown while riding. Its ridiculous. I swear there is not an ounce of dampening in any direction. Its a Fastace BFA01 I think.

So do you think it could be to me by Chrissy? How long's a piece of string?

Don't forget titanium retainers.:grinning-smiley-003

Latest posts

Back