If i run this, must i get this?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killpatrickyum

Sinister 50's No 1 Groupie
Reaction score
if i run with this
Classic Honda 50's Australia - Takegawa Decomp Cam Shaft - 01-08-0121

must i run with this
Classic Honda 50's Australia - De-compression Camshaft Cover for the YX150-160 and TB V2 Race Head

Answer: Yes !!!

or will this give enough clearance
Classic Honda 50's Australia - TB Parts Black Billet Cover Set

Answer : You'd have to ask Classic Honda 50's IF the cam cover is a clearance cover to suit de-compression cams or not ...

and whats the difference between this

Answer : The above cam is an S25D grind which is a midrange cam that suits 150/160 engines and gives good all round power ...

and this?
Classic Honda 50's Australia - Takegawa Decomp Cam Shaft S35D - 01-08-0122

That cam is an S35D which is bigger than the previous cam and gives more top end power at the sacrifice of bottom end power in 150/160 engines but works well all around in bigger bored motors ...

The capacity of an engine affects where the power range of a given cam begins and ends ...

thanks for the info mate, si if i go the full 184 kit i better off with the
Classic Honda 50's Australia - Takegawa Decomp Cam Shaft S35D - 01-08-0122 ????

cheers again

^^^^ In all honesty go a v2 head first and fit either a decomp button or a decomp cam shaft!!

if i run with this

must i run with this
Classic Honda 50's Australia - De-compression Camshaft Cover for the YX150-160 and TB V2 Race Head

Answer: Yes !!!

or will this give enough clearance
Classic Honda 50's Australia - TB Parts Black Billet Cover Set

Answer : You'd have to ask Classic Honda 50's IF the cam cover is a clearance cover to suit de-compression cams or not ...

and whats the difference between this

Answer : The above cam is an S25D grind which is a midrange cam that suits 150/160 engines and gives good all round power ...

and this?
Classic Honda 50's Australia - Takegawa Decomp Cam Shaft S35D - 01-08-0122

That cam is an S35D which is bigger than the previous cam and gives more top end power at the sacrifice of bottom end power in 150/160 engines but works well all around in bigger bored motors ...

The capacity of an engine affects where the power range of a given cam begins and ends ...

Great advice. Just thought i'll add a little.
A S25 cam gives low to midrange power which means talk at a lower rpm. The big bore bikes also have more talk at lower rpm then the 160 bikes so a S25 cam would work nice on a big bore bike.

Might be a silly question but wouldnt u get better traction with the bigger cam on the 184 bore motor because power is spread out more?

I think its 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.
At the end of the day there is more important things to make you ride faster.
Gearing.
suspension setup.
corner speed
Techique.

If you havnt got the v2 head yet, put it at the top of your list. Best power upgrade I have done(along with 184). Get the cam you want put in, I got auto decomp s25. You won't regret it:)

Last edited:
Yes I think so but not 100%. You can do head then 184 after if strapped for coin. That's what I did. V2 is the major power upgrade, 184 gives some more punch all over the range.

^^^^yes you need the adaptor, easy to fit.

Yes I think so but not 100%. You can do head then 184 after if strapped for coin. That's what I did. V2 is the major power upgrade, 184 gives some more punch all over the range.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm somethn to think bout, iv riden a lxr with just the head n cam n it was stupid fast down low compared to my stock160 any way to even it out a bit?

^^^^yes you need the adaptor, easy to fit.

N sweet thought as much

184 evens it out. I don't know the difference between the cams to be honest. But you can play with your sprocket gearing to find your presence of speed vs acceleration .

I've got v2 head with decomp cam, adaptor and stronger valves. Then I got the 184 kit. Also put the tb carb manifold on which is pretty good value, gets fuel n air to motor quicker. And I put the gpx exhaust slip on. Runs really well, very quick. You Can't use all throttle or risk sliding so it's a good amount of power:)

Was speaking to Dom at motorbike city today n he said he thinks the cam u get in the tb head standard n the decomp button is a better more reliable proven quicker deal???? I startn to get confused now , he's like that's what Reefy runs why would he if it wasn't spot on?

Ahhh well in the end it's each to their own. Firepower minis built mine and he builds hundreds of mini bikes each year. He's no longer on here cos he started his own forum but try speaking to motovert24. He has exact setup as reefy, he bought it off him. He knows a bit too. I'm happy with mine, couldn't be stuffed pressing the button every time you want to start your bike.....

Latest posts

Back