I'm a happy little vegemite. new Brembo caliper's

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i would be too... sounds all a little strange that a little tap done this... at least the piston should be ok... or was it the wrong piston to start with...

thats great !! but bad luck bout ya donk.
im there should have a couple of em going . only 1 set of good tyres though.1 on crap tyres.
and 1 on trail tyres!! x3
just hope me stiches are right .

Well after about 2-3 hrs track time brakes are beded in well and are 'OK' not wonderful or what i expected.

Two issues

1. Since last motor 'tinker' i'm doing between 15-18kph an hour faster down the straight just over 90kph on some laps so brakes might just not feel as if they are pulling me up fast *but really are*

2. Chinese master cylinder doesnt pump enough fluid. To combat this i've ordered a few things to try. 1 x KX80 Master cylinder, 1 x KX250 master cylinder (they are ment to be the same thing but they are both second hand off ebay and only cost 100 posted so worth a chop. Also ordered a BREMBO master cylinder @ $200 bucks its a bit steep but it does have a 13mm piston so SHOULD make for TRUE one finger braking. Brembo Master on ebay

Also got HUSQVARNA 510 front caliper just to play with different brakes. Time will tell if i've wasted my time and money or i work out the perfect setup :p
HUSQVARNA.jpg

Well the KX80 master showed up yesterday, and as what typically happens when I get new toys I stoped working to play. Took allot of time to get all the air out but once done, some quick tests scared the hell out of me.. Could only just get half way thru first gear in my back yard coming onto the cement and braking, but it instantly kicked up the rear wheel!! Will take some getting used too.

I did receive the Bredbo caliper too but don't think I’m going to use it or at least for now :)

Track on Saturday to test for real, very worried about brake fade (brakes getting too hot) but time will tell.

I've been thinking of taking the pads in to a place that relines them and see what they can do for me. Maybe good linings will help with heat & fade

Would NEVER run these brakes on the dirt!!

Thinks about if there are any benefits of running a better rear setup, might have better control maybe?

To be continued :p
Next mods - Decomp, Another new cam, 6 plate clutch & some HUGE bling :)

sounds odd i know, but have you considered a smaller china rear master, with a half decent twin pot rear caliper? twin pot rear *should* give you a fair bit of braking power, whilst the smaller china master should mean you get a reasonable amount of control without either having to baby the pedal, or stomp the bejesus out of it... 10mm banjo's should also mean the overall pressure across the system is lower, whilst still exerting enough hydraulic pressure over a larger area to offer decent braking power..

:eek:Update : Unhappy little Vegemite!

Well after only a few laps i had smoke POORING off my pads, first lap they were dragin a touch but could still touch the caliper with out burning finger off.

Adjusted brakes, few HARD laps on throtle & back hard on the brakes and they were nothing short of FUN FUN FUN - then something changed.

Stared to do full speed stopies (GPS said around 85kph) first one was way cool 8-10m with rear wheel in the air, then next lap - Nothing just headed for the fence with the rear brake full locked. The fronts were just smoking like nothing else i've ever seen. Below are pics of the pads - they were new *gah*

SNC00880_small.jpg

SNC00881_small.jpg

Now running around looking for new pads.

Lessons
1. Setup required VERY little effort to lock front wheel (fine for motard)
2. Good fluid - just used Castrol Super Dot4 i had laying around. Been since told with the Brembo i should be using something like MOTUL RBF600 Braking fluid *now have a bottle $35.90 later :eek:
3. Don't adjust brakes in shed by pushing bike back and forth
4. Do more research
5. Find some floating disks - ment to be better however i don't understand the difference.

Last edited:
dam they got eaten up lol hope replacments aren't expensive notice how shiny they are at the top

Last edited:
True floating disks are meant to be able to move slightly from one side to the other on the centre part this allows them to centre more accurately and reduce the drag on one side or the other that can be created by a pad wearing more than the other.

The damage to the pad looks to me like it was just bad material that was used, I have had brakes smoking badly before in my car and on bikes and never seen pads chewed like that or so quickly before.
Tina

Last edited:
dam man they are stuffed lol......looks like serious miss alignment or something

bahahahahahahah sounds funnnn, im confused on whatt caliper ur using? the chinese brembo or the husky one, or the kx 80 one?

China Brembo was used, with KX125/80 master, found the issue was with *me AGAIN* i incoretly put a bolt that adjusts the lever in incorectly, as a result the pads were touching the disk and overheating etc etc..

BUT out of this progress was made. AS02 caliper from DHZ matched with the KX master and brakes are sooo nice to use! real soft feel to the brake lever but stoppies are simple and effortless to do. So all worked out in the end :D

the Husky Brembo's are way too big would need to be running at least a 250mm disk or more so it'll be sold or put in a corner for another day

Latest posts

Back