I'm building a bike, but what suspension??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you asked ykjohnson if he will ship to norway? If he will then the price for a set of DNM forks will be much cheaper than the $800 you were quoted and would be more like $300usd plus shipping

yes I mailed him and he did not reply, I can get a DNM shock for an affordable price, but the forks and clamps are going to cost a pretty penny no matter what it seems...

... but the forks and clamps are going to cost a pretty penny no matter what it seems...

yeah , but thats the way it is....compare it to the 1400Euros you have to pay for Zokes , then its not so hard:p ;)

Alright, I've mailed ykjohnson again about a set of forks and triple clamps, the shock is on the way, I managed to find a DNM on ebay at an affordable (not cheap, but affordable) price.

man I'm like a kid at christmas, I've recieved the engine, It's lying besides my bed just waiting for a frame:D the mikuni VM26 has arrived also, gotta order a jet kit as the temperature is dropping fast here in scandinavia...
a set of protapers has landed also, along with some renthal Full waffle grips, a 1\4 throttle and a swingarm, oil cooler and some other bits and pieces
I've got a pretty cool exhaust coming from OOracing.com in great britain.
plastics, tank and saddle is also arrived, my frame got stopped in customs so it will take a few more weeks before I get it...

I'm currently searching for wheels\tires\axles front and back, forks, triple clamps, brakes (I've got a Nissin pump from a KX125 I'm going to use on the front), bashplate, handguards, 428# sprockets, maybe a graphics kit, and I'm also bidding on a hydraulic clutch kit.

life is good:D

Mate ... you're doin' great .... that's a lot of things you've bought there .... :cool: How's the ol' 110 goin' .... have you learnt anything more about porting heads ????

What swingarm and frame did you get ?????? :)

Mate ... you're doin' great .... that's a lot of things you've bought there .... :cool: How's the ol' 110 goin' .... have you learnt anything more about porting heads ????

What swingarm and frame did you get ?????? :)

the 110 is still going strong, I've been reading about porting here and there and picked up a few things, and I guess when this project is ridable I'll tear down the loncin and grind some more:D

as for the frame and swingarm, I went with a cradle type frame (don't know what the name is, the ones you see on pitpros) and a basic, straight swingarm, I didn't go overboard on these two items as I'm not much of a jumper. I'll keep an eye on the frame though, the very second it starts to bend or crack, I'm upgrading...

forget the hydro clutch...only trouble!! Give Pitpro in sweden a call about a decend set of wheels ...I guess the set is around 220 euros and the wheels are pretty good!! What you looking for ??12/14 or 10/12 inch??...anyway get the wheel behind with an 2,15 inch rim...much better traction! For the caliper of the brake...Ebay got dozen of brembo and nissins ....with your pump they will bite like crazy!

After you test ride it a few times, I recommend you put some quality heavy oil in that DNM shock. It made a HUGE improvement to mine. Under brakes and out of corners the rear holds quite well. Comp on about 7 clicks out and reb on 3 or 4 out. If I up the rear comp dampening the DNM copes ok with woops, but I guess it must work the oil hard because eventually (10 or 15 mins) it will overheat and signoff.

With your forks, I'd still recommend you get some zocc copy china made forks (if you can buy cheaply), and thoroughly flush then re-oil em up like I did, then set your clickers. For the price (came with my complete MSO bike), I'm stoked with mine! My fork springs feel a little too stiff for me, but they are close enough and do the job on heavy landings. These forks are not very plush at the top of the stroke (stiff springs not helping there either), but the progression into a full compress stroke is reasonably good, and the rebound dampening is controllable enough that my bike can take a variety of corners with the front holding and bike steering surprisingly well.

Make sure you get good tyres too! I'm pretty sure that the Bridgestone M404+M403 are out now in 12+14" sizes! Amazing medium terrain tyres. Pirelli MX scorpions (which I have) are good and tough lasting on hardpack. The Mich MS2 are always good on soft dirt but expensive and probably not made in mini sizes anyway. All round the Bridgestones (on my KX450F) are incredible. On medium dirt, Kenda Millevilles are like iced doughnuts in comparison. ;) I slashed up my M404 on hard a few weeks back and I almost cried. :(

you make for some interresting reading numroe, I will replace the oil in the shock and forks first thing, I've got a few bottles of some motul heavy oil lying around.
as for the forks I'm still looking around, ykjohnson hasn't replied yet so nothings decided yet.

and I'm considering getting the bridgstones as I need an allround tire, the bike will be run 80% in the woods (Mud, Roots, Rocks, Soft dirt and so on) and 20% on a Full sized MX track, dialing the suspension for woods riding will be an interesting experience for sure:)

numroe very handy suspension hints , but I don't agree with your engine choice go the YX/GPX anyday.

numroe very handy suspension hints , but I don't agree with your engine choice go the YX/GPX anyday.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the YX engine whenever reliability is mentioned, and reliability is a huge factor for me, where is the fun of running a powerful engine if it fails on a regular basis, I'm sure there are plenty of YX's out there who have proven to be reliable, but the Lifan have a better track record, and the oil-filter is a huge plus, the whole concept of oil-slingers have always been kinda dodgy in my eyes.

Iam a lifan guy , but maybe you asked the wrong people about the YX !!
Friend got a 150 with +R head....70 hours of hard riding ...not one issue....other friend ...same engine ...whole season no trouble, only clutchpad issues...other have the same experience here!!
They are a lot but not unreliable!!

Iam a lifan guy , but maybe you asked the wrong people about the YX !!
Friend got a 150 with +R head....70 hours of hard riding ...not one issue....other friend ...same engine ...whole season no trouble, only clutchpad issues...other have the same experience here!!
They are a lot but not unreliable!!

when compared to the Lifans, they seem to be a little less reliable, since I got no real-time experience with neither engine, I played it safe and went with the lifan, it was also cheaper, that's always a good thing.

Latest posts

Back