IRK's and how to lighten oil slinger?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats right ^^^^. But when coulped with a good port job and a bigger cam and so on good gains can achieved through out the rev range. I'm not bragging at all about my bike but the engine pulls hard through the entire rev range now and i'm impressed with this new engine. So if inner rotor kit is matched to a few good mods and you make changes in your riding technique you and your bike will be quicker but that is only my appion.

RD - We do what we can mate and as a few others will tell you we are getting better at it as well...
Thanks for the support...
We just got a whole bunch more stock in today...
So if you need anything else let me know
Cheers
Big Leigh

G'day all. I just insalled an IRK, alloy sligher and a high output coil to my 138(127cc) alloy lifan oil cooled stock motor. It rocks. I am very impressed with the throttle response, as I grew up riding 2 strokes anyway. It really fly's off the mark now. However hillclimbing torque has definately been sacrificed at lower revs. However at peak revs (not over reving) it still climbs as well as before irk was installed. As a result of higher reving the motor running quite a bit hotter, which may mean more regular oil changes. Not sure if i would risk running one on a bike that does not have an oil cooler. Running one on a 140cc would be awsome. Ride on all.

hay sounds good. if you find some time would it be to much to ask for you to give us a little bit of a tutorial on fitting an irk. possibly a new thread with a step by step on how to fit your irk and lightened oil slinger. i am just about to undertake my fitting of an irk as i have never done something like this before its going to be a new experience for me. if you dont by any chance get to post something up i will find the time to do so when my build is complete (early next week). also another thread about timing would be greatly appreciated as i recall Roost saying something about his cam timing being set to 20ish retard or something like that to stop kickback, this is something i also want to look into but am new to. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys..

Cheers, Tony.

could some one post up a pic of there irk so i could see whoch way it goes in i dont wanna put it in upside down and screw my bike up whe i kick it over.

thanks

Your cam timing stays where it is Bones, its the ignition timing which needs to be kept with limits if you want to avoid bad kickback. This will all be part of the rotor kit install, setting your advance.

Just a side note on this issue of inner rotors. I personally don't like them, and wouldn't use one unless building a motor for high speed work only. I prefer to aim for the middle ground and shave the flywheel and slinger to have the best of both worlds. Makes the motor a bit more tractable on tight tracks and much better for wheel standing, hill climbing and starting. Also it must be realised that some of what you feel in difference with an inner rotor is the new advance settings which are now available to you. This can be achieved though by other means. If I was going to spend 300 + dollars on an inner rotor, I'd put it towards a tokyo mods ignition instead. You can program the whole curve and have two pre mapped options available as you ride by a switch on the bars. One retarded for starting your big bore and foolin around and another set to optimum advance for really getting under it.

advancing and retarding

hi just put an irk on my bike and it starts fine but i dont know whether the timing is correct
how do you tell
and what does adjusting it do
this is what it looks like now

Attachments

• irk2.JPG
    irk2.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 51
Have a timing light put on it. Any auto shop dood should nearly do it for nothing if your lucky. Guys are setting the advance between 20 and 28 degrees on their inner rotors. For anyone who doesn't understand what this actually is doing, here's a basic description.

As the piston is approaching the top of the compression stroke (which is indicated on your flywheel by the line machined into it lining up with the little notch in the cases) you will notice that the little magnet in the flywheel is passing the pickup ( which is shown in the pic above) When this passes the pickup it will fire a spark. So when you move that pickup, obviously you are changing when this will occur.

Now inside your cylinder after the spark has ignited the mixture it doesn't just go off with a bang as you may think. It actually takes some time after the spark for the flame front to spread and ignite the entire mix down to the piston and start to expand and drive the piston down. So when you hear the term 'advance' it means that the pickup is set to spark 'X' amount of degrees before the piston reaches top dead centre, so that by the time the piston travels 'over the hump' the entire mix is lit and exerting maximum force downward throughout the full length of the power stroke. Obviously the quicker the motor is spinning the earlier the spark needs to be let off. BUT if it is advanced too much, then at slow speeds the mix is well and truly lit and before top dead centre, then your in trouble and your motor will not be alive for very much longer. Also this will cause kick back when starting as you can imagine.

so should i just leave it how it is as its in the middle position atm

How Do You Install IRK In A Pitpro 140

Hi All :) :)

Could anybody share with me how to install an IRK unit into a Pitpro 140.
Pics would be great,or a link on How to Install.
Any help would be greatly appriciated. :)

Cheers

Marty

Last edited:
well i did mine it was easy but the wiring was the hard bit ill have a look later and let you know maybe if you pm tubes380 he's a champ helped me with my wiring but putting the irk in is easy as takes like 5 minutes manybe ten if fly wheel is hard to get off Oil slinger is a bit harder well mine was i had a heap of shit go wrong when i removed that cover

the hardest part is getting the flywheel off, almost inpossible without a proper flywheel puller... you can buy one for about 30 bucks at most bike shops, or just pay them 20 bucks to do it for you... also need a rattle gun to get the nut off the flywheel... well its hard as to get it off without one

oil slinger was pretty easy to get off for me, tho i almost had to take the engine out cause my frame was fouling the engine cover, but most pittys wont have that problem

no spark help AFTER FITTING IRK TO PITPRO

Hi Guys

Thanks to Phil for the info,great stuff mate
I have some problems bud,i have no spark.Bike will not start
Ive checked the wiring three times all lookes good.
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I WANT TO GO RIDING SUNDAY.
Do i need to set gaps etc

Help help help

Regards

Marty

If someone wants to PM or Email me (username at that hotplace) the details of phils install guide I'll post them up in a locked topic that can be stickied so ALL members have axsess and it should make the "How do I...." threads a little less common...

merged with topic, how to.

I would like to advance the timing to add to my lifan 125 with mild cam, and soon to come big bore kit. How much advance? I do it on my kart motors by filing a step in key way for the flywheel. Is it something similar to this?
I want to keep the stock ignition just advcne a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
am off to bed now, but someone will pipe up with an answer over the next 24-48 hours im sure mate!
Night!!

You can buy a stepped key-way, or like you said, just file your own. Also the pickup can be slotted so you have adjustment there. As for how much advance...well thats up to you. You may even want to retard the ignition depending on the tune of the motor.

Can you explain further mack, sounds like interesting. Can you explain both methods of advance? I would like to possibly go the route of the pickup cuz its less work. Is There just two holes on the pickup possibly similiar to the magneto and flyhwheel setup on a small horiaontal OHV motor like the honda gx200? How many mills should i shave off the hole?

do you have an IRK kart ss ? its a bit harder to adjust without one, do a search its on here somewhere...

but if you have an IRK then you just move the pickup up or down... stock it should come in the max retarded position, try moving it to the middle of the slots... could try max but it might make less power... use 95 octane juice

Latest posts

Back