Lathe Work Required

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusedminis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a steel headstem for a set of pister triples which I need to enlarge where the bearings sit by 0.5mm. I am going to weld up up the areas but then will need to turn it back down to the required diameters.

Is there anyone capable and have access to a metal lathe here that would be willing to do it for me, I am willing to pay of course and can send the shaft with anywhere.

take it down to your local enginering shop? that what i allways do when i need little stuff done, there expensive but normaly get bord of what there doing so just go and do it right away and the older guys dont do a to dodgy job either ;)

+1 ^ I had a an old rm125 and the engine case cracked (only small), took it to a local welding place cost me $80 bucks but man did he do a good job.

I am trying to build my bike on a budget so "take it to the local shop where they will charge an arm and leg for some 10 minute job" just wont do.

I thought I would part with my hard earned to a fellow mini enthusiast, I know there are a few on here with lathes or access to them and know what they are doing

By the time you pay postage and all the other stuffing around you could of got your local machine shop and also speaking from experience its better to do it local incase they stuff it their work should be garaunteed.

i can do it mate but there could be issues turning a weld, might not be the correct hardness, but i am willing to give it a crack for ya.

i'm in vic if your interested

I am trying to build my bike on a budget so "take it to the local shop where they will charge an arm and leg for some 10 minute job" just wont do.

I thought I would part with my hard earned to a fellow mini enthusiast, I know there are a few on here with lathes or access to them and know what they are doing

man id just go to local joint, be much easier and less hassle.

It wont be stupid expensive, go and get a quote

wouldnt you be better off turning the shaft down a little and making a sleeve to be pressed on to it, then spot weld the sleeve to the shaft.. (all providing the top of the sleeve is small enough)

another idea if its only .05mm is knurl the shaft as it is, that should big it up enough

Maybe I will just have to fix our lathe (saddle is broken) or hit up one of my old teachers, seems like this thread has done the typical "I have a good idea, but its not what you asked" deviation.

I thought about making a sleeve, I guess I will just work it out.

As for turning the weld down, I know it will most likely be harder (as most welds are) but it should still be fine

I had to get the same machine work done to my perimiter frame for the bearings to fit. i just went down to my local engineering shop and he did for like 200 ish from memory. cost a bit much IMO but he did a real good job.

im an apprentice fitter and machinist if you trust me ? lol but i couldnt use the work lathe to do personal stuff .btw got the head cover today thanks !

ohhh, that 200 ish wanst just the headstem machined. i got some welding and other bits and peices done at the time so dont think it will cost that much lol

Latest posts

Back