lets talk ROAD BIKES. Learner Legal.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically we can ride upto 650cc on L plates here I think but fools take a trip down to SUMOTO WORLD OF 250'S and check out what they have to offer. They have a good range and good service there.

My advice would be to get a 2008 Aprilia RS250. 6 speed 2 stroke with plenty of power and so much fun to ride. :D

But if your not into the 2 strokes look at the Honda RVF400 or a Suzuki GSX-R400. Ive never riden either of them but just browsing through the sumoto site and they look hot.

Or maybe this Honda Gyro is more suited to you fools :p

DisplayImage.jpg

Last edited:
Basically we can ride upto 650cc on L plates here I think but fools take a trip down to SUMOTO WORLD OF 250'S and check out what they have to offer. They have a good range and good service there.

My advice would be to get a 2008 Aprilia RS250. 6 speed 2 stroke with plenty of power and so much fun to ride. :D

But if your not into the 2 strokes look at the Honda RVF400 or a Suzuki GSX-R400. Ive never riden either of them but just browsing through the sumoto site and they look hot.

Or maybe this Honda Gyro is more suited to you fools :p

DisplayImage.jpg

No offense I thump, but you don't really know what you are talking about.

With LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) You can ride up to 660cc bikes. Its power to weight ratio. Meaning you can ride a Honda XR650R but not an R6.

The Aprilia RS250 isn't LAMS approved. The 125 is though.

The Honda RVF400 is the fastest LAMS bike.

cheers

have a good look around any roadbike forum and search the word "sumoto"

its a real eye opener.............................

yep vic now has LAMS introduced, as stated in the original post.

Im steering clear of the 250's for obvious size reasons and again as stated, having to do freeway work, i see the potential in the 650 over the 250 anyday of the week.

The hyosungs look the goods imo. throw a decent pipe on it, get it derestricted, which by the way can only be done by an authorised dealer, and includes them rejetting and deretricting of the carbs. they also send a letter to vic roads, which shows up when you are 'randomly' pulled over by the boys in blue. Its also a one way swap, once its derestricted, thats it, there is no goin back.

considering 8k isnt ALOT for a BRAND NEW bike, including warranty and ORC.
Id LOVE to get an old british bike.. yes they leak oil.. but thats ok.. its part of their nature, iv grown up around British bikes and know all about their little mishaps.. Just finding one in GOOD condition (un-molestered) is pretty hard..

Sidney I just have to reply to that comment because when it comes to what I do and don't know, you would not have a clue.

CB250
DRZ250/400
XR
VTR250
theres more but you get the point.

What are the laws for your L's over there?

cheers

No offense I thump, but you don't really know what you are talking about.

With LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) You can ride up to 660cc bikes. Its power to weight ratio. Meaning you can ride a Honda XR650R but not an R6.

The Aprilia RS250 isn't LAMS approved. The 125 is though.

The Honda RVF400 is the fastest LAMS bike.

cheers

Now what did I say that I don't know about?

You asked the question about Vic laws and I gave you the basic answer. I said ''we can basically ride up to 660cc'' the key word being 'Basically' because there are more learner legal bikes under 660cc that learners can ride than ones they cant.

As for the Aprilia RS250 I know its not a LAMS approved learner legal bike but as with every new law there are loopholes and legal ways around that. I have seen someone that did it here only a few weeks ago so that's proof it can be done.
Its not suited to what fools requires anyway but I do know how quick they are and how much fun they are because I have ridden one.

As for the bikes that you recommended hmmmm now lets see

CB250 - Was that meant to be a joke? He did say larger bikes
DRZ250/400 - He clearly stated not a road trail but a proper road bike
XR - Same reason as above
VTR250 - another joke maybe?

In short I usually don't like to talk shit about things I don't know just for the sake of posting.

Please in the future don't talk about what you don't know and it would also help to read the post properly before you reply with irrevelevant answers.

any1 know if like ktm 300exc or any of ktms over 250cc bikes r lams approved cheers

In Vic the KTM 300 EXC is learner legal.

These are the KTMs on the list

625 SMC
660 SMC
450 EXC
300 EXC
360 EXC
380 EXC
400 EXC
510 EXC
525 EXC

A search will give u a full list of bikes available for learners

Last edited:
CB250 - Was that meant to be a joke? He did say larger bikes
DRZ250/400 - He clearly stated not a road trail but a proper road bike
XR - Same reason as above
VTR250 - another joke maybe?

He should probably start test riding bikes before hes dead set on a hyosung.

One bike i forgot to mention is the Suzuki GS500F

its a very nice LAMS bike

Sidney, please just read and think before posting your comments. He is not dead set on getting a Hyosung which is why he started this thread asking for some opinions.

Anyway back on topic, Foolsp33d for what you are wanting the bike for I think the you cant go wrong with getting the Hyosung GT650R coz the pros seem to out way the cons (maybe by quite a bit if u compare them all).

First of all judging by there GT250 there bikes are actually good quality and the 650cc v-twin motor should give plenty of usable power that the 250 lacks. The 2 year unlimited warranty is better than any second hand Jap bike has to offer and you would be buying a brand new bike. They are also a sexy looking bike with there Ducati kind of look and the small things like digital speedo and adjustable foot pegs are a nice touch. Thats just a few of the pros I can think of off the top of my head.

Korea make some great products from trusted companies such as LG and Samsung and should not be looked upon as being just like Chinese shit. Hyosung have been around a while and had a partnership with Suzuki for many years before going it alone and I believe they still have a design team and technicians based in Japan.

Hyosung will become more and more popular here and will become a common bike on our roads. Soon enough they will be producing 1000cc bikes and more performance parts will be available so id say that Hyosung is here to stay in Australia and well worth a look.

i had the hyosung 650 for a year, no probs, the restrictors are merely the slides, they have a hole that braeks the vacuum(cv carbs) and limit it that way....100 bucks for newies...and your blacks:) with the restrictors, they do 150 max at 6000...without restrictor and no fairing...i just get 230....fairing would help here, but shit...its still fast enough to mess ya up:p

for the price though...get one...
i have ripped an r1 at the lights, but he was probably not paying attention:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
yep vic now has LAMS introduced, as stated in the original post.

Im steering clear of the 250's for obvious size reasons and again as stated, having to do freeway work, i see the potential in the 650 over the 250 anyday of the week.

The hyosungs look the goods imo. throw a decent pipe on it, get it derestricted, which by the way can only be done by an authorised dealer, and includes them rejetting and deretricting of the carbs. they also send a letter to vic roads, which shows up when you are 'randomly' pulled over by the boys in blue. Its also a one way swap, once its derestricted, thats it, there is no goin back.

considering 8k isnt ALOT for a BRAND NEW bike, including warranty and ORC.
Id LOVE to get an old british bike.. yes they leak oil.. but thats ok.. its part of their nature, iv grown up around British bikes and know all about their little mishaps.. Just finding one in GOOD condition (un-molestered) is pretty hard..

get the hyosung, and if you got the full licence, you can do the restrictors yourself, which is new slides, involving...four phillips head screws, a ten mill, and i think two 12 mill bolts to undo... about an hour all up

no rejetting, thats just a dealership rort:eek:

like servicing etc..

get greasy man

and mines still classed as LAM ha ha ha ha

Interesting info Headsmess.

Sp33d have you decided on a road bike yet or have you decided to give it a miss?

ive ridden both the hyosung gt 250 and the Ninja 250, both 2008 models. Didnt get onto a freeway but they hit 100km/h pretty easily anyway. Personally i prefered the hyosung because of the double disc brakes on the front and the fact that the hyosung is 1/3rd the price of a ninja second hand.

still keen on the 650 hyo. funding is the limit atm :( but the bro is keen on a new CB400.. so might get him to get the loan then loan off him :D

how about if you have your motorcycle P's? can you only still ride bikes under the LAMS?

i just got a keen little Suzuki A80 1970's retro machine here a pic of google will get a pic of my one soon :D

A80.jpg

now all i need is a bike license

get the CBR1100 they fly my uncles got one rides it pretty much every week and it looks like its going good.

this is my bike i ride to work ,tho i put it in my car and only ride from a free car park :)

mybike.jpg

Latest posts

Back