Lifan outer rotor

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean01

Legend Spanner Spinner
Reaction score
ok im making a thread to see who out there has put a timing light on there engines that's fitted with a Lifan 150 outer rotor kit..or even the YX outer rotor kit.

reason for this is that i just fitted one and put the light on it and it doesn't seem to have the amount of total advance i thought it should have.

iv set it at 9 initial which gives about 19-20 total..which IMO isnt quiet enough total (at least 25 would be nice) and possibly too much initial.

tomorrow i will throw the light on my yx ork and see what it has..

so feel free to add to this with your timing specs... initial and total.
also post up wat settings youve found to work the best... also add yr engine and rough specs..

ok i know my motor is not an XY BUT just got a adjustable ORK and i timed it right and nop nothing.. only to find that i need to have it threeeeee teeth out to get it to start and run well... the TDC mark on the fly wheel is completely useless

yeah i made my own timing mark. but it was pretty close to begin with.

lol even if i fully advance this ork i fitted i cant get 27 total unless it reaches the 27 very high in the rpm range.
but i was checking it a shade under half throttle.

also if i retard it like i would on an irk the retard is really noticeable..

ok well I don't know shit about timing an all that but I just got an ork and chucked it on a yx150 daytona style...... alll I have to say is the mofo starts easier than a lifan 125 when it's set to the retarded side.... so I guess it's doing what I wanted it to....

so is the TDC marking out of place? I gonna have to pull it back off now and compare it to some other flywheels :S

we really need as guide to tuning the lifan ork.... welll I do anyway but I've only played a lil bit and the bike was unrideable so time will tell..... but so far I think it's an awsome investment and gonna be fun to play with

yeah well if i set this one up in the middle of the adjustment im lucky to get 4 degrees advance at idle..

what sort of lifan 125 do you have? start in any gear?

if its a start in any gear engine then i recon it would be ok as it is

ours is set to 8° initially and sets to 23°...???
Check two of them and they are both equal....got the ignition from TDR...maybe they are different??

id say there'd have to be different ones out there.
gonna check the one we have on the 110 to compare

ok, well i just thru my YX outer rotor kit on the timing light..heres wat i got..

this magneto has had half the pickup tab ground off, so id hate to see wat it was before hand

36 degree's at idle, hmm kick back junkie
@ approx 1/8 throttle it ramps up to 57 degree's
@ approx 1/2 and more throttle it pulls back down to 27 degree's

i also checked the TDC mark on the magneto and it was spot on.

next ill try a shty blue box to see if theres any changes.. ill also do some back to back tests with multiple standard black box cdi's

one other thing too. previously to this YX outer rotor kit i had an inner rotor. now strangely enough the bike has lost top end power..

looks like im gonna have to test an inner rotor on the light too..

Like anything from China ... the manufacturing tolerances leave a lot to be desired ...

The below sounds like a 2 stroke advance curve ...

36 degree's at idle, hmm kick back junkie
@ approx 1/8 throttle it ramps up to 57 degree's
@ approx 1/2 and more throttle it pulls back down to 27 degree's

2 stroke's run low static compression so they need to be advanced at idle in order to time the maximum push of the slower burning charge at the right point near TDC ... then they need to advance further for bottom end pull ... but when the expansion chamber boots in and starts supercharging the cylinder , the compression ratio can double along with the cylinder filling ... so the timing needs to be backed right off to avoid detonation due to the faster burn of the highly compressed charge ... IF it didn't , the crank would get pounded to a premature death ...

Chances are that faulty ignitions are being flogged off cheaply to sellers who then flog 'em off on ebay etc ...

Last edited:
hmm, these ignitions are all over the place...

i just wired an inner rotor cdi up to the YX outer rotor kit..

lol 56 degree's @ idle ..no wonder kickback is more potent with IRK's. definitively wouldn't recommend anyone use on engine with a high comp piston
then @ and above 1/2 throttle it drops to 28 degree's

still doesnt make any sense as to why i lost top end by fitting the yx outer rotor kit.. same total advance

oh well i shall continue testing

Check the pickup on your ignitions ... they can be fitted around the wrong way from the factory ... I read that on Thumpertalk about 3 years ago in a thread on the Kitaco IRK's ... An ebay shop "such and such sportsstore " was claiming it sometimes happens .... to a cheesed off XR100 racer ... LOL ...

Or maybe the wires from the pickup to the CDI box are reversed so that you're copping full advance at idle ... then it's retarding up top ... ie cocked around the wrong way meaning you've been Chinked like a Chump ...

ok, not too sure what you mean as irk pickups only run one wire but they can be screwed on the wrong way.
and the other pickups have 2 wires but 1 is earth.

i have however seen primary stator coils installed upside down.. and its funny cause black primary coil can only work with black irk cdi.. well thts wat iv found.

im going to try and fit an irk pickup to a yx outer rotor kit..

but i dont think it will change anything as im pretty sure it only acts as a crank angle sensor

you've been Chinked like a Chump ...

i like to say , in a half china accent

GOT YOU AGAIN ROUND EYE :D
you stupid round eye half way round world ,you come back tho round eye

Sorry just my lil saying when china stuff acts like china stuff

ok, not too sure what you mean as irk pickups only run one wire but they can be screwed on the wrong way.
and the other pickups have 2 wires but 1 is earth.

It was just a random joke ... :p The cockup would have to be in the CDI box ...

And LOL ... SnItChY ...

yeah DJ, the standard black cdi box found on standard stator and yx outer rotors do have advance but way to much..

Latest posts

Back