Mini motard tyres & wheels

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB-125

Reaction score
Hey guys thinking of getting into motard but don't exactly have enough money to buy 12 12 wheels so could I run 14 12 and can you get 14 inch motard tyres thanks.

Hey guys thinking of getting into motard but don't exactly have enough money to buy 12 12 wheels so could I run 14 12 and can you get 14 inch motard tyres thanks.

nar mate u cant get 14'' tyres and the rules say u cant. look on ebay i picked up a front rim off there for 60 buks with postage. the tyres cost me more then that.

look at our clubs site it has all the rules :: CQ Mini Moto ::

cheers and hope that helps

no worries, the best thing is to get the same width front rim as the rear. 1.85'' i think it is. then u can fit the fattest tyres on.

that is what some blokes do so they have the same hubs and wheel spacers etc like for motoverts where they r a unique hub, but u can buy complete rims in that width off ebay u they probly just need different spacers.

Does anyone know where i could start riding motard in adeliade
I have a agb 29 and what specs plus the obvious tyre and wheel change should i make thanks

Does anyone know where i could start riding motard in adeliade

I'm waiting for The Pits to cater for minimotard racing. Their talking about it all.

Minimotards are permitted on the Pooraka track. Its small, and I haven't heard of any competition there yet.

Yer it would be great if port elliot pits could get going but when i had my pocket bike they where trying to get them on the track and it took them ages. The pooraka track is tiny wouldn't even get out of 2nd gear.

Hey RB-125
We have help set up a few Mini Motard Bikes here in Adelaide,we relace the stock 14" front wheel using a wider 12" rear rim .Labour cost is about $95.00 total.
An IRK kit seems to work well in these puppies too !

We are in talks with Gerald at the Pt Elliot Pits at the moment in regards to running Pitties on the track.An engineers safety report is being compiled to see what exactly needs to done done about fencing and runoff areas.Hopefully Gerald will have a little more good news for us on when we head down there on Saturday.
Cheers Brian

Last edited:
hey need some help on what mods i should get for my bike besides tyres and wheels

As Brian said, get the internal rotor kit, and maybe stiffen up the suspension a bit so it don't feel like a waterbed when you're goin hard. Nitrogen in the tyres? Lower gearing? etc

Hey anyone know what tyres to recommend for this i have knobbies on right now but i am gonna be changing the front over to a 12" in the next week or so. My option at the moment is 2 GTS23's front and rear 110/70 12". I am happy to hear if anyone has any tyres that think would be better suited.

How would 1.85" fit the fatest tyres. I have a 3.00" and people tell me I can't fit a 150. Unless the fat tyre your thinking of is a 60 or 40. 1.85" will take anorexic like those gay racing bicycle tyres.

There is a photo around this forum of a 1.85 rim sporting a 120/70/12 tyre. From all of my research you wouldn't want to go wider on that size rim. Ideally, again from what I've read, you'd look at getting a 2.15 rim for the 120 tyre.

I've got 1.85 rims on the bike at the moment, and the 120/70 Michelin sports on order. When they arrive I'll post pics and my opinion on how they feel.

Last edited:
How would 1.85" fit the fatest tyres. I have a 3.00" and people tell me I can't fit a 150. Unless the fat tyre your thinking of is a 60 or 40. 1.85" will take anorexic like those gay racing bicycle tyres.

Have a look at the post date of Sams comment. Was June 2007, only fairly recently have the 2.15 rims become really easily available. So previously the 1.85 rims were the rim of choice.

I'm gonna attempt to answer your question once and for all. To do this I will be very blunt so sorry if I offend you.

You want to build a minimotard yes, then get some 12" wheels. I am sorry if you think the 14's looks better or suit better, 12's work better and you can get better tyres for them. There are no real race tyres in 14", they are all either 10", 12", 16.5" (fronts only) or 17". I highly doubt you will find any rims wider then your current 14 x 3 because no body really wants them. fitting a 150 is also extremely pointless, might get the look you are chasing but will make your bike slower if anything. If you don't think I have a clue then look at some purpose built race bikes then in the smaller bikes. Say Metrakit for example
The Metrakit Concept :: Metrakit :: Australian Mini GP series
they run 12" on the smaller bikes and 17" on there bigger bike.
Hell even jump on supermoto junkie and have a look at all the minimotards in there, 10's 12's and 17's.

So look this is basically how I see it, if your dead set on 14's and don't care about how the bike performs or handles just whack the 150 on and hope you have the clearance. You can hunt around and find a wider rim to mount the 150 on but the bike will still handle like shit, so why bother.
If you want the bike to handle get some 12's, 12 x 2.5 front and rear if you have the space, 12 x 2.15 if you don't have the space. Whack a 100/90-12 front & 120/80-12 rear in something like the Bridgestone BT601ss or Dunlop TT92GP tyres and then go ride and be amazed.

Ok, what about if I can mounth a swing arm from like a 250cc china bike which is long enough for 17" and have 17/17. That would be good. But how would I do it. Is it just bolt on. 12" rims will look invisible on my bike. it has 17/14 imagine 12/12. I'll think about it because I might decide to sell it to buy a ProX 140cc instead. I've seen a motard in 12/12 setup on a 140 ProX.
Just have a look (thats not me or anyone I know btw):

Orion%20sponsor%20shot%202.jpg

I'm Running a 1.85 on the front & 2.15 rims on the rear with Michelin 120/70-12 Boppers, i have tried a few different tyre & rim combinations & that works the best for me. The 1.85 rasies the profile on the 120/70-12 front tyre, and the 2.15 lowers it, which is sweet.

well this is an old thread so to update it, now the way to go is 2.15 front and 2.50 rear. these size rims can now be purchased on places like ebay for around $65. oh yeah and both 12 inch

tire wise the vee rubbers are a full slick and i can vouch for these
also dunlop tt92
and bridgestone 601 -ss 100 or something
PMT arnt good enough

oh and as well as having the horizontal 4 stroke classes. there is a new 85cc 2 stroke class for both juniors and seniors.

Get into the sport.......its great and teaches you good bike skill for the road.

Latest posts

Back