need big help confused?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacky4

Reaction score
im wanting a pw50 for a cuzin of mine and i found a buyer but he said his son ran straight fuel in the tank as a mistake and it died he said might need a new piston or sumthin he doesnt no wats wrong with it does any1 know before i buy it like u might need a carby clean and clean the engine up or does it mean the bikes stuffed cant fix no more or? thanks

it means the engine had no form of lubrication, thus meaning increased wear has been induced and could very well be seized.
How damaged it is is proportional to the time that it has been run with straight fuel.
the crankshaft,bearings,conrod,cylinder walls and piston will be effected.

oh reali ye thats all true um it happ once and he hasnt tried again he tryed once with mixin the oil in it but it was around 1 week ago its a 2002 pw50 goin for 400 should i buy it and jst get a new piston or sumthin

wats the worst case sernrio like will it not be bad and i can jst clean up the carby give it a big strip down or do sumthin simple and itll go or is it jst gone seized no point in buyin it? he said his son put in straight fuel and rode it till it died so ye and he said he hasnt had anytime to muck around with it so mit not of been any problems but ye

Last edited:
straight fuel + rode it til it died= dont touch with barge pole.
Unless of course you feel like rebuilding it... if it's died, and wont restart, i'd say he's seized the top end, and would thus need replacing...
For the same or similar price, i'd say you'd be able to pick up an electric start 50cc thumper (ie CR-F50 copy) from ebay. on the whole, they are similar as a bike, the pw50, but search right, and you'll find one with e-start, disc brakes, snazzy happy child looks etc etc.
i'd steer away from this one, unless you want to add a top end rebuild to the initial purchase cost of the bike...
or failing that, tell the seller you'll come over and kick the tyres once he's had it looked at and got it running.. :)

hehe...Same thing happened with the pw80 i bought, it had no oil in the oil injection bottle....Had no oil running in it for a while..had a few tanks of fuel go through it dry...didnt start...All i did was give the carby a good clean, flush the old fuel out and chucked some oil in and now she runs sweet, However the piston ring is cracked and needs replacing, so im doing that atm.
But yeah i only paid 100 bux for mine, and its been well worth it :D..but it could be diffrent for the pw50 u have...

ohhhkkkk thanks danity helpd me out :) ye he said it happ about 3 months ago around that il get it off him 2moro and il try fix it all up do wat u did can i run motal 800 in it? course i got like half a bottle left from when i had my kx125? im only payin 400 for it 2002 pw50 prety clean as bike to and his bring it to me :D

DON'T BUY A 2-STROKE THAT'S BEEN RUN ON STRAIGHT GAS!!! a worst case scenario is that the entire engine needs a rebuild! that means a new Cylinder\bore the old one, a new piston kit, a new crank, new crank bearings, new gaskets and the works, PLUS the job involved in replacing these parts, removing the engine from the frame, complete disassembly of the engine (splitting the cases and such)
buy a different one unless you know how to rebuild engines and have money to spend...

nah but it only happed once and after that didnt happ again it should be alright if give it a clean up inside with 2stroke oil ?ey does any1 know if you can run a pw50 on motul 800 i hav it left over from my kx125

only has to happen once to seize an engine...
fiddynorway is right, and the other thing to consider, is that two strokes get their bottom end lubrication from the oil in the fuel, not the oil in the engine...
so having run it on straight petrol, will have starved the bottom end bearings of oil... so it's not just the piston and rings that could be shagged...
i'd tell the bloke selling it, to prove its running before you buy it...
seriously, for the price of the bike, and the cost involved in rebuilding it, you could purchase a better bike in running condition...
you've been warned mate... would hate to see someone blow money on a blown engine, $400 purchase price or not...

nah but it only happed once and after that didnt happ again it should be alright if give it a clean up inside with 2stroke oil ?ey does any1 know if you can run a pw50 on motul 800 i hav it left over from my kx125

the problem is that the thing that "only happened once" was the engine self-destructing because of the lack of luberication, even if you get it running by just "cleaning" it and dumping a load of oil into it, it won't run as it should and it WILL suffer a total breakdown if you keep riding it without a rebuild.

a 2-stroke that has been run without oil in the gas is a seized 2-stroke, no exception.

ok got the bike today strted 1st kik but in strt it doesnt rev u rev it and it dies but then u click to run and it idels good as and it goods like real good ye but atm jst doin a carby clean and as much as i can gona clean up inside of engine

here ya go mate. try these . and this , take a breath every now and then and dont try to rush what it is you want to say... Think before you type, then reread what you have written BEFORE pressing enter...

ok got the bike today strted 1st kik but in strt it doesnt rev u rev it and it dies but then u click to run and it idels good as and it goods like real good ye but atm jst doin a carby clean and as much as i can gona clean up inside of engine

why do you post questions on a forum if you don't listen to the answers you get?

but anyways, I would recommend that you remove the head and inspect the cylinder walls, being that this is a aircooled 2-stroke you only have to remove the 4 bolts on the head. look for scratches, scars and scoring, especially around the exhaust port, anything you can feel with your fingers are bad, also look for side to side movement on the piston (excessive piston to cylinder clearence) this inspection takes 15 mins tops.

if you find any scratches or scars at all, DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE ANYMORE! you will only damage it more.

and to answer your previous question: yes you can use Motul 800 on a PW50, I use that same oil in all my 2-strokes.

ok ye thanks for that i remove the head and lookd at the piston and the walls its all smooth nothing wrong with that area but not theres a bad tickin noise around that area wen i start it and everytime i let it cool down i check the spark plug and its grey as if its been burnt

people, GIVE UP ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!

has to ask whether a 2 stroke ran with no oil is going to be ok. ignores sound advice and buys it.

checks the cylinder...now, what is smooth eactly? wet n dry 2400 grit is smooth, but is still abrasive....

not being a prick, jacky, but too many ppl have mentioned 2strokes and lack of lubrication and have been ignored for me to care much....

besides mentioning KDF sports sells the engines, new....

5 mins with no oil, maybe nothing wrong...ridden til it died? you bought whats called a LEMON, in technical circles.... sorry.

theres not just a cylinder/piston to worry about(and the oil barely affects these parts anyway)...theres crank bearings, con-rod bearings, all these little metallic objects that like lubrication... without it, they wear out, and from then on, its an avalanche effect as the wear just gets more and more pronounced....

grey plug? where is it grey? probably microscopic particles of steel melting and getting stuck to it, or its old and past its use by date... and yes, plugs get burnt.... side effect of being stuck in a combustion chamber...

:eek: did i write all that? meh....

Latest posts

Back