Need gaskets or something asap :(

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneezy

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just got yx140 dress up kit. Problem is I went to put it on and I need new gaskets. Anyone know ig I can use gasket goo? Or make my own with gasket paper? Or best to wait and order gaskets from eBay. Going riding sun so let me know asap.

Cheers guys

go to supercheap, buy a roll of gasket paper (7 bucks) and make one up:) the roll will last ages and are good to have as a spare in your garage / tool box

Gasket paper/goo will be fine... Have you checked to see if it's possible to salvage the gaskets off the existing covers? :)

go to supercheap, buy a roll of gasket paper (7 bucks) and make one up:) the roll will last ages and are good to have as a spare in your garage / tool box

Sorry to hi-jack but just wondering with that gasket paper how do you go cutting it? like say I didn't have the gasket I need how would I cut it right? Like I'm thinking the cam cover so I could trace the outside but what about the inside does it matter if its a bit big?

i believe your ment to grab a ball peined hammer (dunno if thats what its called, but the hammer with like the ball on one side of the head), put the gasket paper on the place where you need the gasket and tap it very lightly, so you dont damage the surface of the engine. this was how iv been taught. :)

Oh yeah no shit... sorry where is my brains tonight! That makes a lot of sense! Thanks matty

Oh awesome, thanks guys.

If I didn't use gaskets would it deff leak?

Oh awesome, thanks guys.

If I didn't use gaskets would it deff leak?

highly likely if the surfaces werent machined to each others tolerances. oil will get throught just about the tinyiest gaps evar!

personally i would never use any sort of fake gaskett as when you place the items to be sealed togeather a bead squezes out of both sides
the bead brakes down over time coming loose and then floats around the engine blocking galleries and other vital parts

dont belive me do a search on holden 308 oil pickups that have been blocked by silicone

personally i would never use any sort of fake gaskett as when you place the items to be sealed togeather a bead squezes out of both sides
the bead brakes down over time coming loose and then floats around the engine blocking galleries and other vital parts

dont belive me do a search on holden 308 oil pickups that have been blocked by silicone

yes thats why once its dry u trim off the over hanging bits

yes thats why once its dry u trim off the over hanging bits

how do you get inside of the engine or whatever to trim them ive never managed to shrink myself
you can trim the outside but the outside over hang doesnt really find its way inside the motor now does it
so if you read the post correctly
what squezes out one side will do the same on the other side or ......"internally"

Or, with the turn around times on eBay (mostly good) get yourself some genuine/correct gaskets..all good suggestions above, but the correct gaskets will be a much better option.

then your probably using too much. chemical gaskets are all the rage these days and come standard on most new vehicles from your toyota yaris up to your 400 hp (or whatever it is) holden HSV. companies like loctite spend gillions of dollars developing compounds for this exact purpose, and would be out of business if their products destroyed engines. i have watched videos of many new engines being built from BMW to Case IH 600hp tractors, and chemical gaskets are cheap, effective and reliable. having said that, there are different types of chemical gasket for different situations, acid cure, nuteral cure, copper based, hi temp, blaah blaah blaah. if you use the wrong one for an application there is every chance that you will fist and engine. IE use an acid cure gasket on a rocker cover on an efi engine, you will kill your oxygen sensor within days, resulting in Higher fuel consumption and poor running.

dont be a hater of chemical gaskets just because someone on a forum said so.

Latest posts

Back