new engine pissing out oil... ALL OIL!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.luisetto

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my mate bought a brand new bike about a month ago it has a LIFAN 140 start any gear engine with IRK...

treated it perfectly during the run in period and this weekend it was his chance to give it hell...

BUT!

once riding for about an hour engine oil was pissing out from the engine breather hose...

So we topped it up thinking that would fix it but again it just marked its territory everywhere again...

We thing the engine is cactus but just wanted to know if you guys n gals knew what it could be...?

The engine is still under warrentee so not too worried more curious...

the breather hose from the rear of the engine?
if so isnt it a bit to high up for oil 2 leak out of?

the breather hose from the rear of the engine?
if so isnt it a bit to high up for oil 2 leak out of?

thats the one!! the one that comes out near the back wheel...

was pissing out oil!!!

Any ideas??

maybe you over filled the oil, and it has blow all the seals, gaskets and now its leaking? I think thats what normally happens when you overfill them, And if thats the case; warranty may not replace it as it is your fault and not theirs.?? correct me if im wrong though. =S

Last edited:
to much oil

and when you topped it up it would of made it worse

but regardless of that you are always going to spit out a bit of oil out the breather thats what they are for mine does it when the engine is hot and i've been riding at high revs for a good 10 laps

so just make sure your oil levels are right at the start of the day and you aren't putting to much in there
i think 900ml they run not sure but add say 50ml for the oil cooler

dont stress

what im saying is that it leaks until there is nothing left in it!!

or is that still the same problem...?

be wise to do a full oil change.
how much does it piss out?

It means the rings arent working and some force from the combustion chamber is getting past the piston and into the gearbox, and thats pushing oil out the over flow, maybe he ran it in really wrong?? Dont know, my old lifan 140 does the same thing exactly, its spits out anything untill its empty, needs new rings.

Last edited:
what im saying is that it leaks until there is nothing left in it!!

or is that still the same problem...?

ough thats not so good

but it is a ring issue as flarry says i think as that piston pumps out it forces pressure past the rings creating more pressure in the crank case in turn pumping out the oil

regardless take it back warranty that shiz

i dont have a clue why its pissin out the breather, id get a new motor under the waranty.

u dont get new thinks under waranty if u run it in badly cmon be real.... if it was a fault from new it more then likey woulded started from new not how every long after.....

also if it not the rings it could be blown head gasket

u dont get new thinks under waranty if u run it in badly cmon be real.... if it was a fault from new it more then likey woulded started from new not how every long after.....

also if it not the rings it could be blown head gasket

it was run in perfectly right, with an complete oil change every 4hrs of riding and only at half rev's...

So the whole run in was allright...

any how its going to the shop today so new engine or rings or whatever...

thankfully its not my bike!!

That's precisely why you make a new motor slug hard within the 1st 20 minutes (without revving it too high) to get the rings to lap and bed into a perfect seal on the bore .. and to achieve THAT .. you WANT to leave the crap oil they come supplied with in them ...

Loading the engine hard at low to mid revs builds high cylinder pressure that gets behind the rings and forces them out hard on the bore and causes them to wear quickly to suit the bore wall without creating too much heat ... Crap oil allows that rapid controlled wear to take place ... Even the metal shavings that people talk about help to lap the rings into the bore ... the piston especially will shed a fair amount of metal which is necessary to get it to wear into the right shape and will appear as a grey sludge in the oil ... fine alloy shavings cannot hurt steel or iron ... Oil pump impellers are made of super hardened steel ... far harder than anything that'll wear off the bore or gear teeth ...

When you get a new motor ... don't mess around idling it or tuning it .. get the frigger into gear and pulling hard as soon as you start it ... get it into a taller gear and throttle it hard , make it lug , let it rev to just over half revs then back off leaving it in gear to engine brake without even pulling the clutch in each time ... then do it again several times ... stop to let it cool .. then do the same thing again several times .. gradually increasing the rev limit each time up to 5/8 th revs ... Then as you feel it freeing up keep doing it until you can rev to 3/4 throttle .. Gradually increase to brief peak revs in the following days Poorly bedded in motors have poor bottom end torque and the oil will smell like petrol ... then the oil gets fuel contamination right throughout its greatly shortened poor performing life ... When you come up against a properly run in bike with the same engine , you'll get beaten every time ... then you'll be talking about the lucky guy with the "freak" Lifan 140 who creamed you ... and maybe even suspect that his engine was "worked" .... :p

Some people get too paranoid with their oil changes and it's the short lifed late model MX 4 stroke engines that have made people think like that ... Boy the manufacturers have got people conned ... :p They've deliberately built these short lifed engines to soak money out of peoples' bank accounts ... Ask them to explain why the exact same cylinder can be revved harder for hours on end in a road bike without a scrap on maintenance or daily oil changes ...

It sounds to me like someone has "pansied" the "new" 140 engine and this is the end result ... :p The fact that it has an IRK fitted says a lot ... I'll bet it's done 2/3rd's of its short life revving in neutral or with the clutch in and the other 1/3 revving freely in the lower gears ...

Cactus that is spot on (as usual) and I got a couple of old black Lifan 125 motors that have been ran in hard with the stock oil to prove it. After more than 2 years of full on thrashing and bugger all oil changes they still run great.
I like to do plenty of hill climbing when running in to get the motor working hard and the Lifan motors did surprise me with there reliability arfter many years of riding jap and euro bikes. I was expecting those Lifans to die within weeks and considering how cheap they were, I really wanted to kill it just so I could say these chinas are shit but I was wrong and I was surprised.

Thats why I like the Lifans ;)

I have to agree that people often go too far with there oils and oil changes.

i ran my yx 140 in hard and its goin a year strong now no problems heaps of power and runs hot!
imo i dont thi k china engines care what oil they got in em just as long as they got oil and its changed every 2-3 months

Metal work hardens so you have to wear it in while it's still new ... Honing is deliberately put there to create added friction otherwise you'd NEVER get new rings to seal ... A freshly bored cylinder has SOFT surfaces (as in a cars cylinder block .. Chev /Holden etc ) ... if the bore is hard you'd need to use rings with a special quick wearing coating to allow them to bed in ... (molybdenum coated rings) ... or quick wearing soft iron rings to get a decent seal ...

To get valves to seal perfectly you have to deliberately hand lap them with a fine abrasive paste ... same goes for hardened brand new or used differential gears ... they NEED to be lapped with lapping compound otherwise they'll be noisy for their entire life and have lousy tooth contact ... Same goes for gearboxes including Industrial gears and transmissions etc ...

well as i said its not my bike and covered by warrentee so its NO problems more curious...

And for the record im still going on the same engine since 2006!!

125cc zong zhen engine, gears 1n234 and it still goes hard and ive serviced it about 4-5 times...

Although when i do get my lifan i will take into consider the things you said above cactus!!

Thanks again guys!!

Latest posts

Back