Nitrous 150 or 160 for motard...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazed0451

Reaction score
OK, I have already posted this here: http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-chat/27014-150-160-yx-engine-4.html

I figured I'd get opinions from motard nuts too (especially seeing as my other post is tacked on the end of another thread) so I can make as informed a decision as possible.

If I buy a Nitrous 150 and get sick of the power is it possible to whack a 160 head on it (or different piston/crank to big up the CC's)?

Other than the sh1tty oil cooler they have strapped to the 150 and the fact that it has 10cc less, it seems to have better features, ie the bottom end (no oil slinger etc) and over the top brake pedal, than the 160.

Any thoughts on what would be best suited for motard (bearing in mind I REALLY like power... My 600cc 110hp roadbike isn't nearly enough, and I've been riding since I was 7) and which will be able to go the fastest cheapest (while still being vaguely reliable)?

I'm leaning towards the 160, but I'd like as much input as I can get :)

Thanks guys!

Hey Krazed,
The yx160 is a strokerd yx150 from what i know.
Although i cant imagen their being that much difference in power in those 10cc's.
My bike has the same geometry as a nitrous and i might even be putting a yx150
in to it soon. So i think you should take mine for a spin and see if you are happy with it
etc. But for money really i cant see any other bike in same price range that would go that
well and also that fast. So its defiantly a go'er i recon.

Good luck mate

you can't put a 160 head on the 150... 160 is KLX head and 150 is CRF..
but you can get a big bore kit for like $125 and make it any cc's you want

Aw shit i thought they were both KLX style my bad sorry Krazed...
You can make it as many cc's as you want but if you want to do competition your limited
to 160cc...

Have you got a link to the bbk that you're referring to rip? I'd snap that up

dont shoot me for this but carnt you put the lifan head and barrel on the yx150? that way you can put takegawa +R heads on and everything.

Grnman the stud pattern on the KLX style motor are a bigger distance apart so then the studs dont meet up on the crf head and barrell. This is why you can get a bbk on a klx style motor to over 200cc and a crf you can not...

Thanks Rip, I presume doing this I can keep the stroke? I like engines that build revs quickly and as mentioned I like the look of the 150 bottom end.

if ure worried that the 150 wont be fast enough then buy the 160!

If I was just after speed and not reliability I'd just buy the 160. As it stands I'm tempted to get the 150 and put up with the 10 less CC's until I can afford a head/piston kit for it, I just want to ensure I can keep the stroke of the 150 so I can have an engine that revs too.

Aw shit i thought they were both KLX style my bad sorry Krazed...
You can make it as many cc's as you want but if you want to do competition your limited
to 160cc...

No worries Sam.

Yeah, spot on, I want to keep it 160 as I will likely be racing it :D

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated... I'm starting to sway towards the 150 :p

By the looks of things ill be getting a yx150 really soon probably before you get your bike if you want you could pop around or meet me at a track and ride it and see what the engine is like etc if you want. Its up to you...

Cheers mate

to be honest if your new pitbikes and racing im sure this will apply to both motard and dirt

but you will not always be faster on a faster bike it can actually slow you down.

so if you have a smaller engine like a 140 and geared it well and learnt to ride that engine to its full potential before you upgraded to a bigger engine you will be a faster rider down the track as a smaller engine you will be able to keep it in the top revs most the time

Damnit!

By the looks of things ill be getting a yx150 really soon probably before you get your bike if you want you could pop around or meet me at a track and ride it and see what the engine is like etc if you want. Its up to you...

Cheers mate

Ok, I was planning on surprising you by turning up to the track with a bike one week soon, but clearly that isn't going to happen... The CB sold yesterday, I'm itching to buy a Nitrous (for $650 or less obviously, so it still might take a week or two) and want to be doubly sure which one I want ;)

It's not likely you'll have the 150 in your bike before I'm able to get one at $650, but if you do I'll definitely take you up on the offer!

So, who's up for hassling Atomik so they start listing the Nitrous' three at a time again? I can't do it, they'll see me coming a mile away! :D

to be honest if your new pitbikes and racing im sure this will apply to both motard and dirt

but you will not always be faster on a faster bike it can actually slow you down.

so if you have a smaller engine like a 140 and geared it well and learnt to ride that engine to its full potential before you upgraded to a bigger engine you will be a faster rider down the track as a smaller engine you will be able to keep it in the top revs most the time

I've been riding motorbikes offroad for 18years, onroad for 5 and used to own a full sized motard... I'm fairly confident more power will be better! :D

Okay i probably wont have it by then but you never know i could mabey. have you got the motard wheels and tyres sorted yet man?

Ok, I just noticed this.

I have 54min to decide between the 150 and 160... Providing I can win the auction obviously! :D

Flood me with your thoughts peeps!

Go the 160 krazed with the background of bikes that you have. Where abouts do you plan to ride? im in melbourne also and when i get my YZ i'm thinking of setting up my pitty as a mini tard

Go the 160 krazed with the background of bikes that you have. Where abouts do you plan to ride? im in melbourne also and when i get my YZ i'm thinking of setting up my pitty as a mini tard

But I like oil filters... I'm so torn :p

I plan on riding where these guys go: South Morang and Dandy.

I guess I'll see in half an hour, lol!

Latest posts

Back