no idle

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie39

Reaction score
so i have checked all wires, new plug, have petrol, have spark....
i can start it, runs for about 5 or so seconds and then just dies.... i am unsure weather its a carby issue or something else. was working as per usual, now it just wont idle. havent ridden it for a week then this happened. i havent touched the carb so i dont see why it could be that, but stranger things have happened i guess.

Have you tried adjusting the idle?

it's the little screw hanging out with the spring on it.. screw it in to turn the idle up.

^^^^:confused:

give your carb bowl a little tap with the end of a screw driver... nothing too hard tho, iv seen ppl break the bowl do it. but they were wacking it.

another thing to check is yr tank breather, and make sure your air cleaner is clean and oiled

this exact thing has happened to me it would kick over for 5 secs then just die and it did it over night i left mine for like 4 months cause i got sik of fiddling with the spark plug and electrics then i got a service done on the carbie a bit of a clean and tune and it was finne never betta

so had a chance to play with it, still wont idle properly.... not sure if its carby or internal related. or perhaps im just crap at this whole thing...

adjust your valve clearance.
clean your carb and take note of what jets are in it
report back here with the jet sizes and engine type and size and what carb..

i dont know what jet sizes are in it... its a yx160 with a molkt carby and i am not certin on adjusting clearances, but it wont be for a while as i dont get much free time as of late. happy if someone wants to assist however.

Have you Washed it since the last time you rode it?

I had this problem on my Honda CRF88 just the other day and the only problem was that a bit of water got into the Carby when I washed it. So all it did was idle for a few seconds then die...and if you gave it any throttle it would just splutter out.

You should drain the Carby Bowl out with the Screw located at the bottom of it. Also pull the bowl off the Carby and make sure its clean free of any dirt etc. Yep make sure you have a fresh Air Filter on it too. Good idea to put some fresh fuel in it also. Try that and give it a go ;)

my atomik 160 had NO clearance from brand new....
if your's was the same then u need to set them ASAP, it's a piece of piss mate just do it.
or bring me your bike and a 6er n have it done in 10mins

have you checked to see if petty is getting through and make sure the petrol is clean, even if you put clean petrol in it, there could be somethnig in the tank making dirty feul run into the carby which makes your bike run like shit or not run at all

i have checked, it looks clean. i just dont get much time to look at it, just every so often ill go outside n see what i can come up with for 10 mins... anyone in the west subs of melb willing to help?

deer park... geelong is a fair journey just for a mini bike mate, but thanks anyway

i basically just want it running to give to my little cousin to putt around on...
when i say little he is almost 13 and taller than me!

seems like it only starts with the main jet turned a little higher so it revs way too much and the choke pulled on
turn it off and it wont idle at all....
can i assume its a carby issue?

Latest posts

Back