odd question....

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

140_addict

Reaction score
me and my buddies tore down an old Honda XL 70 in the attempts to bring her back to life after sitting for 10 years and when we got it down to the frame to drop in the new 125 for it.... we cant get the motor to slide into place properly !!!!!

the frame is now stripped and i will most likely take some pics to shouw you guys what im talking about.....

i however saw an add on craigslist for an XL 70 with a 140 cc engine upgrade on it....

no clue how the heck the guy got his 140 to fit when this 125 dont seem to work out ....

any tips on this would be great if anyone here has an XL 70 and tried this and been successful please elaborate !!!

I'm also wondering what i might need to do to make my bike run 17" front 14" rear .....

any advice on that would be great aswell....

I have the CRF 70 clone frame.... currently running 14" front 12" rear

- Addict

Last edited:
definitely need pics mate.. and model info

maybe they have the same engine mounts as a ct90 or something...

but if it has crf mounts then theres no reason why it wouldnt fit

1973XL70afterpaint1.jpg

for referance to the XL.. :)

im guessing your going to need to make some mounts/adaptors... similar to what the CT guys gotta do,,

everything would line up fine but i just cant fit the head through the frame where the bars split...

was thinking maybe the head was removed and put back on after the res of the motor was mounted?

1974 HONDA XL 70

this is the XL 70 the guy has for sale that he bolted the 140 onto....

this 1974 is very very similar to the frame if not the exact one that we have....

Last edited:
PROBLEM SOLVED !!! turns out since we thought the socket we where using was stripping the counter sprocket we never removed it first attempt.... well snap-on got the sprocket off and it just fell into place like it was in heaven..... :D i will post pics of the reborn 70.....

also we got the GPX engine installed today... thats where the 70's powerplant came from....

We do not have the oil cooler installed or have a decent place to mount it on the frame.... that i will get pics of aswell.....

since it is not running the oil cooler it also did not come with a bypass installed like my YX did..... ( good or bad ??? )

engine fit snugly all the hardware locktite'd in place and fired on the 3rd kick after the fuel valve was turned.... absolutley gorgeous motor on the sound and the play the clutch had was nice... not too hard... not too light... sounded purrrrty too ;) i might just have to get me the red mid pipe...

we also decided to get factory honda CRF 70 plastics possibly aftermarket and then we can easily get decal kits for that... we have a honda cycle dealer on the edge of town and looked at thier 70's today and the plastics are a perfect match... we are gonna order a factory kit through them :D

guess the things you guys have taught me so far is working out well, 3 successful swaps thus far !! =)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back