Oil Cooler

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neatos101

Reaction score
where do u actually attach the oil cooler pipes to the engine

also i dont want to attach the actual cooler to the frame is it possible to run just 1 cooler pipe from 1 end to the other without the oil cooler?

pics will be great

thanks

yep i did a thread on this not so long ago , search removing oil cooler or something.You will need either a directly oil cooled engine or a oil cooler mount holes on a oil port cover.

the oil cooler pipes usually connect to side cover on right side of head,just forward from the spark plug.you probably need to get one of those covers.
If you run the pipes without the cooler it sort of defeats the purpose of having one in the first place.
Just mount it on the frame as it is designed to be run or else i wouldnt even bother.

wat u mean u wouldnt bother??? i need to know if it would still work without the actual cooler and if i can just run the lines between the two holes

will it be ok if so any1 got any pics of this so can see?

You could run the line from hole to hole if you were removing the oil cooler but whats the point on buying and oil cooler then only attaching the lines? The lines dont cool anything mate. So thats why he is saying dont bother and I am saying the same thing.

i got the cooler free when i bought my lifan 140 and i dont really wanna bolt or weld anything to my motovert frame so iam prob just goina run the lines i dot mind if the cooler isnt fitted people say that work shitty any ways

any other suggestions or mods?

Well as I just said there is no point running the lines. It wont do anything. You Have to either put the oil cooler on or just leave the whole thing all together.

so i dont run the lines at all? i leave it without the lines or the cooler

If your head plate has oil cooler outputs on it, you need to do a loop between them because you just cant not run he hoses, the oil needs to get from one area to another and it cant do it with the existing plate , useless you get a old stock plate and it'll have the loop done internally.

Its up to you whether to run the cooler or not but if you arent gunna run the cooler no point running the lines. I personally would run the cooler because they might not do much but they do still work. If you dont like the billet oil coolers get one of the radiator style ones, they do more but you will still have to attach it to the frame. But its up to you whether you wanna run the cooler or not but have the cooler temperature may just make your engine last longer.

If you have a Lifan 140 it is most likley a case feed type and there will be two little bolts on the lower engine case under the clutch mechanism. You will need to run a line between both of these ports to ensure that your engine actually gets oil to the head.

However I would recommend that you do use a oil cooler as this is the way they have been designed to run. If you just connect the ports your engine life will be shortened.

I'm assuming that as you were given the cooler, that your engine is already running with the normal side plate,so if that is the case and you dont wanna bolt up the cooler just dont do anything and ride as you would normally.

Either sell the oil cooler or do it all the right way and bite the bullet and fit everything.Your engine will thank you.

I did a thread on this mate no need to continue to ask for photos , use the search button (search removing oil cooler) , i did a whole thread on it with a little coil transfer line

i searched and lok at your thread its not the info i need to know sorry...

ok, this is how it is, its really not that hard to work out.

this guy bought a new 140cc lifan motor which comes with an oil cooler and the nessecary piping at the bottom of the crankcase, being a oil pump fed system. he dosent want to run the oil cooler and he wondering how to set it up without including the cooler.

in which, mate all would need to do is get a short as possible peice of proper hose, have banjo fittings put on and install it instead of the cooler and the long hoses.

fuck, it wasnt that hard to figure out.

ok, this is how it is, its really not that hard to work out.

this guy bought a new 140cc lifan motor which comes with an oil cooler and the nessecary piping at the bottom of the crankcase, being a oil pump fed system. he dosent want to run the oil cooler and he wondering how to set it up without including the cooler.

in which, mate all would need to do is get a short as possible peice of proper hose, have banjo fittings put on and install it instead of the cooler and the long hoses.

fuck, it wasnt that hard to figure out.

Thats right.

You already said it all Cass ...... but I can add that 140's are supplied with oil coolers as standard ..... NOT because they have an iron cylinder but because they have a longer stroke which equals higher piston speeds and piston thrust on the cylinder wall = added friction .

It's not a very good idea to run hard without a cooler on a stroker motor ....... but if you do ........ change the oil a lot more frequently ......... like after every hard ride .......

Years ago I read an extensive test article on the effects of oil coolers (Lockhart) fitted to various highly modified XR75 engines ...... they stated that the coolers don't make the engine run cooler than normal operating temperatures but they DO keep the oil itself cooler so that it doesn't fry and lose viscosity ......... which would result in abnormal and rapid engine wear .......

If the two case ports aren't connected together via a jumper line .... OR the oil gallery between the two ports isn't drilled to meet up .......... then you'll end up with your very own BVH paper weight in a very short time ........ :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back