Oiled the Air Filter

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
btw: nice heads Cactus.

I've never oil a paper filter, but I've oiled a chinese foam filter. As has everyone. My point is that it's almost as bad! The foam cells in the chinese filters certainly aint like the cells in a real foam filter. So it's important to be lean on the oil, which to keep the dust out also means cleaning and re-oil more often. :(

I've got peanut oil on my pit bike filter for this weekend. As light and worked in as possible. Getting "real" breathing filters ASAP.

Last edited:
btw: nice heads Cactus.

I've never oil a paper filter, but I've oiled a chinese foam filter. As has everyone. My point is that it's almost as bad! The foam cells in the chinese filters certainly aint like the cells in a real foam filter. So it's important to be lean on the oil, which to keep the dust out also means cleaning and re-oil more often. :(

I've got peanut oil on my pit bike filter for this weekend. As light and worked in as possible. Getting "real" breathing filters ASAP.

How did you find the vege oil?

How did you find the vege oil?

Too early to say. A friend was riding my mini last weekend, and during a creek crossing he drenched the filter by going too fast. The peanut oil stayed on which is nice. It stays on forever it seems. Not yet sure about dust holding potential of it. No dust! Anyway I am onto my "snorkle" project to reposition my air filter in the cavity under my seat.

Go easy on the oil fellas. I took my pitpro out yesty and i couldn't rev it past idle. I drained the bowl to inspect the fuel and discovered it was full of fluro green fuel... Couldn't figure out why so i kept riding, but every 5 mins it went back to not reving past idle. And i kept draining the bowl to discover more green fuel... I figured the only thing green on the bike was the filter oil (which i put on about 6 months ago and have never had this problem), so i cleaned the filter with petrol and the bike ran fine for the rest of the day. I think my problem was putting way too much oil on the filter.

I figured the only thing green on the bike was the filter oil (which i put on about 6 months ago and have never had this problem)
Maybe you just described the other half of the rich jetting problem. 1) Too much oil. Like you say. And also ... 2) Not cleaning your filter often enough. So it it clogged with dirt in the oil.

If you work in then squeeze out all excess oil, then you are good to go. It's pretty hard to get it wrong. The more expensive oils (like Belray and Twin Air) make this a simple thing to do. Since they are initially very runny like water, and then goo up as the solvent evaporates out.

You got to squeeze all the oil out (you cant squeeze out too much). You should also clean and re oil much more often than every 6 months if you want peak performance from your bike.

A good rule of thumb is to clean your air filter as often as you'd change your undies ....... and make sure you wash your filter as clean as you'd wash ya' grungies ..... end of story ..... vegie oil works as good as any nappy rash cream (aka special air filter oils) ..... :p

You should also clean and re oil much more often than every 6 months if you want peak performance from your bike.

I bought my bike 6 months ago but its probly only had 1 or 2 tanks of fuel go thru it, the filter wasn't even dirty at all.. Been really slack over summer, been too hot and too many cops in the forrests.

I am pretty sure i used Castrol filter oil which is very thick from the start. I will look into getting some thinner stuff.. cheers...

A good rule of thumb is to clean your air filter as often as you'd change your undies ....... and make sure you wash your filter as clean as you'd wash ya' grungies ..... end of story ..... vegie oil works as good as any nappy rash cream (aka special air filter oils) ..... :p

So this means you can use your filter 4 times before cleaning
1. right way
2. Inside out
3. back to front
4. Back to front inside out

2 pairs undies 1 week.

Latest posts

Back