Pro Taper Grips

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Moto

Reaction score
Is it hard to change the standard grips to pro taper grips??

[ Handle bars : pretty obvious ]

[ Atomik 125 MotoX ]

Are there any other grips that are better??

Thanks

mini moto

its easy as piss mate to change the grips over. Just cut the stock ones off and to get the new ones on spray a bit of hair spray into the grip and onto the bar so it slides on easy and dries hard.

pro taper ones are good, but there are better ones out there.

ok then ill take your word

but what about the throttle?? Doesnt the cable slide into the grips so you can twist it??

I will check tomorrow if no one answers.

thanks tho

mini moto

what cable are you talking about? the throttle cable? that has nothing to do with the grips.

just cut the grip off and when you get the new one lubed up just twist it in a clockwise direction so it doesnt turn the throttle.

the cable sits in that box thingo near your flange on your right grip

you probably should get some quick grip from a hardware store, works a treat...and wont let the grips come loose.

and if you wanna keep the old ones, if you have an air compressor you can put the nozzle up the grip and blow air into it, takes ages so probably not worth it lol. just an idea.

compressed air is the best way to get grips both ON and OFF.. also a set of bar ends never goes astray.. a small piece of wire can also be used once the grip is on to secure.. dont know if anyone still does this..??

and if you wanna keep the old ones, if you have an air compressor you can put the nozzle up the grip and blow air into it, takes ages so probably not worth it lol. just an idea.

as if it takes ages when I have done it it only takes a couple of seconds

I use hair spray and a screwdriver too get em off ....just spray it in the cavity after you shove the screwdriver between bar n grip

I use a little petrol to get em too slide back on ...leave it to dry and all good

I'm runnin skullgrips at the moment they are pretty good ....but I got big hands and find alot of grips too thin .

And yeah your throttle cable is connected to the throttle tube but it's pretty straight forward and not in ya way as far as changin grips ...you can do it without disconecting the cable :cool:

just slice the old ones off , clean the bar and throttle then
1) Cut a disc of foam the same size as the flange end of grip and cut a hole in the middle of the foam disc slightly smaller than the hole in your grip where it slides on to the throttle
2) slide the foam disc on - this will act as a throttle filter preventing dirt getting into the throttle body and creating throttle stick.
3) get your new grips , get some adhesive I recomend 5 minute araldite over hairspray as hairspray is piss week. spread a little bit of glue on the throttle tube but away from the edges then slide the grip on and squeeze the grip
4) let it set for 5 mins then locwire with 0.5mm stainless steel or copper wire ( as their soft) and wrap around the grip twice and repeat process 3 times on the grip. wire against the flange , wire in the middle and wire about 10mm from the end of the grip. Twist wire ends with vice grips and leave a 2 mm gap when streched and cut excess wire. Press the remainig twisted strand into the grip
5) Repeat process for other side of bar

*Also a good idea to wack some dowl in the end of the bars to prevent bar damage if you dont run bar ends

just slice the old ones off , clean the bar and throttle then
1) Cut a disc of foam the same size as the flange end of grip and cut a hole in the middle of the foam disc slightly smaller than the hole in your grip where it slides on to the throttle
2) slide the foam disc on - this will act as a throttle filter preventing dirt getting into the throttle body and creating throttle stick.
3) get your new grips , get some adhesive I recomend 5 minute araldite over hairspray as hairspray is piss week. spread a little bit of glue on the throttle tube but away from the edges then slide the grip on and squeeze the grip
4) let it set for 5 mins then locwire with 0.5mm stainless steel or copper wire ( as their soft) and wrap around the grip twice and repeat process 3 times on the grip. wire against the flange , wire in the middle and wire about 10mm from the end of the grip. Twist wire ends with vice grips and leave a 2 mm gap when streched and cut excess wire. Press the remainig twisted strand into the grip
5) Repeat process for other side of bar

*Also a good idea to wack some dowl in the end of the bars to prevent bar damage if you dont run bar ends

nice advice!! dont know if id be as concerned as damaging the end of my bar as i would about copping a bar thru the guts or thru the leg thou... :confused:

hey thanks for everything

pretty easy had a look

my idea was that the throttle cable connects onto the

grips so that when you twist it, it pulls the cable and opens carby, etc.

Im only young and i havent really looked into grips so yea.

Thanks heepz gotta buy sum grips now.

mini moto

the throttle cable runs into the throttle body champ. The throttle tube is where the grip slides onto , the throttle tube slots into the throttle body and the cable end connets to the throttle tube. The grip and the throttle cable has NOTHING to do with each other. All you have to do is slide the old grip of and slide the new one on and your done. the grips and the throttle tube are TWO different pieces. Hope that helps

a small piece of wire can also be used once the grip is on to secure.. dont know if anyone still does this..??

Old school bmx trick, but works a treat for some really stubborn grip/bar combinations

I use a little petrol to get em too slide back on ...leave it to dry and all good

Petrol eats away at the rubber, probably not the best substance to be using. Compressed air, hairspray/superglue of some kind and maybe some wire is all you should need.

i have a wire grip on the right hand side on my quad. it hasnt moved and the quad cops a hiding. but the left hand side doesnt and it always tends to slip while ur riding. so using wire works a treat

Latest posts

Back