problem with bigbore install

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinlonpower

Reaction score
Hi again.
I tried to open the link in the sticky on this with no luck.

I have a kinlon 200sm ohv air cooled loncin engine.
Im to the point of adjusting valve clearances after install.Exhaust valve clearances will adjust

The intake valve clearances wont budge i.e no tiny bit of play on TDC and when i turn the adjusting screw it doesnt create any gap.No play on push rod etc

heres what i did to install my bigger piston and sleeve.
Set TDC on compression stroke.
checked valve clearance,was perfect still..002
drained oil
stripped top end down(Not a complete big bore,just piston and sleeve)
replaced piston,lined up rings correctly as per xl200 manual anyhow.
swapped rocker arms from old cyclinder head to new one.
re-assembled.
went to adjust valves and the above is happening.I pulled it down again,everything looks good to go,i even took photos of dis assembly originally.
I just wanna do the valve clearances and fill the bike with oil and fire it Up!!!

So what you're saying is the inlet adjuster is adjusted all the way out and there's no clearance?

If that's the case (and the new barrel is exactly the same length - I assume you replaced the barrel not the sleeve inside the barrel) then the only explanation for having that problem on the inlet adjuster and not the exhaust adjuster is that the cam is misaligned - you didn't put the cam chain on the correct tooth on the cam sprocket.

That's assuming the inlet adjusted is in good condition and is adjusted all the way out

Make sense?

you absolutely sure you have it on the correct TDC.. rock the magneto back and forth and see if the valves rock..

other than that check to make sure the push rod is seating properly..

yes to all the above except the cam chain..doesnt have one.
i am positive its on the compression stroke at TDC as i had a torch in spark plug hole and saw it coming up then stoping on the mark.
but i took the adjusting bolt out of valve and it still doesn't move like the exhaust side.like jammed.
pushroads seem seated fine as u just put it back together after dropping one in:S

was i meant to do anything special with the rocker arms?They are the type installed with what looks like a big flathead screw/bung and is aligned for the head bolt to screw into.

I will try the magneto thing to be sure.anything be worth trying

you do realize the piston comes up the top twice to one camshaft rotation!! which also means the magneto can show TDC in 2 locations.

meaning you cant pick TDC just from piston/magneto location.

spin the magneto 360 degrees and see if you have free play on the inlet valve

i started fresh..cranked a few times to confuse myself.just to make sure my eyes arent playing tricks I put a wooden skewer in spark hole and watched it pop up and down...all seems fine now.another gumby act..im a youtube mechanic after all.will keep you posted

yes i am gumby the youtube mechanic.I didnt know any of that.but i am learning.had a bike for 4months now.cranked it a few times by hand with fresh oil,prayed,took a swig,and it fired up!!!thanks fella's..sean u saved my ass a few times now.your the oracle.do i run it in all over again?or do it the go hard way?

just ride it the way you intend to always ride it but stay away from holding it pinned or revving the crappers out of it.. but make sure you accelerate hard and decelerate hard sometimes..

have fun bro.. dont forget your carb may require a bit of a fiddle too.. bigger main jet for 1

it needed a smaller one before i think cause it was bogging down,so hopefully it will be alright now as it is. oko 26mm 100 main....thanks again

Latest posts

Back