Protective equipment - help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roostyamates

Reaction score
hey just wondering what protective equipment most of you guys on here use? and what would you suggest buying? what are some good boots as i am getting some today.. i have gloves, helmet and goggles do i need anything else? im not planning on racing.

For riding mini's, you can not go past Alpinestars Tech 2's for boots. They are an ankle boot, but very supportive while still allowing full movement. They are priced pretty well too which is good. I also won't ride in anything less than knee braces, but a good set of knee guards is also a very good idea. A set of motocross pants and jersey can also be picked up cheap these days especially this time of year with shops clearing out last years old stock. That is what I would recommend you look at.

Gloves too bud, nothing sucks more than when you have an off even if it's a little one and having to ride the rest of the day with with bark off your palms!

Check eBay too. You'll get cheap gear off there, especially second hand if you want to save a bit of coin. Just don't go buying a second hand lid! ;)

Boots man boots.

And I wouldn't run shorty boots on a midsize like the tech 2's.

Better off will a full set of boots.

I use my old O'Neal M-720 full length boots when i ride the Braaap,
i picked them up 10 years ago for $15 secondhand at a garage sale, they flex nice, and offer at lot more protection than shorty boots.

View attachment 10934

and i wish i was using my body armour when i took the braaap out too, my broken ribs are still painful 4 weeks later.

fox-racing-airframe-xl-motocross-adult-body-armour-13190-p.png

thanks for all the feed back guys, appreciate it :)

I'm going to the braaap shop today to have a look cause they usually have some good specials and a pretty good range of things to choose from. i think i will pick up some boots, a chest protector like that one^

then i will be ready to ride! and mum will be more happy with me riding haha

That roost armour would have done 0 for your ribs Craig. Don't think much would have saved you there except holding on our ditching the bike!! lol

Have either of you guys ever worn Tech 2's ?? Obviously not. And second hand O'Neal boots are about as useful as a set of thongs. Buy what you want Roostya, it's your money !!

Yeah I have swapper.

They are glorified basketball shoes IMO. Stuff all protection but in your head. Hell a set of nike high tops would give just as much protection.

I have also seen what happens to people that wear them in a decent stack. Useless.

Will take my tech 8's any day of the week even on a 50 but I like my ankles not broken and I have weak ankles as it is. :)

Each to there own though.

Last edited:
iv had some big ones and touch wood no problems! tech 2s come much higher than other mini boots. i def wouldnt ride in nike hitops hahaha my tech 8s are sitting in the shed full of cobwebs hahah and my ankles feel well supported! just not above them hahah

Okay so I settled with some full sized boots... hope I dont regret my decision.. braaap had nothing in my size with boots, chest protector or pants... so they ordered everything In.. for now I have to settle with helmet gloves and goggles

I run full size boots mate, and I feel way more confident in full size boots. But in saying that I struggle my ass off trying to grab gears and brakes on tight tracks!

Just get a set of both bud then your all sorted! :p :thumbup:

Tech 2s are nothing like hightop shoes , they offer way more protection.
The soles are a lot thicker , the toe area is a lot harder , this is crucial for toe stubbing on foreign objects while riding.
The overall thickness compared to a set of shoes is very noticeable to see and to feel while wearing.
The only boots I find that are too soft are Thor 50/50 boots.
Axo & fox aren't bad , but overall safety & durability after wearing all of the brands id stick with alpinestars

Last edited:
i agree! they are just full size boots that are short! yes that will make full sized boots safer! but i honestly think its mostly in the head! i was much more confident on them just from the size and weight!

Full boots here too.. no issues with em... I like me some shin protection too....
Good knee protection is a must too IMO.. I use oneil pumpguns.. much more comfortable than other cheaper ones, as they have a pivot point at the knee...
Other thing to consider is a compression suit. Forearm, elbow, shoulder, chest, spine and kidney protection all rolled into one..
I dont wear mine as much as I should cause its pretty bulky, but feel really safe when I do...

Latest posts

Back